2021 Mock Draft Simulators

26 minutes ago, SF2 said:

And yeah, it’s about the money. There is this thing called the salary cap.  

Isn't that the thing we're consistently well under (despite Hobson's annual poor-mouthing)?

Maybe I'm thinking of a .500 record IDK

3 hours ago, spicoli said:

If the Bengals pass on Sewell, Miami will likely just pick him at 6. That doesn't change the incredible OL depth in this draft class. Teams in the first might snap up a few guys but there are just too many to think that more than a couple won't be there at 38. There are going to be guys picked in rounds 3 and 4 that will be starters in this league from day one. The class is that good. 

And I don't really care about Chase, he's just the guy I think they're taking. I've been on record for months saying my number one choice is to trade down for one of Slater or Vera-Tucker. 

Bullshit.  Maybe an odd player, but if these guys were that good they wouldn't be going in round 3 and 4.  There may be a lot of prospects in this OL class but that doesn't mean they are all of 1st/2nd round quality.

15 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Bullshit.  Maybe an odd player, but if these guys were that good they wouldn't be going in round 3 and 4.  There may be a lot of prospects in this OL class but that doesn't mean they are all of 1st/2nd round quality.

I like how we've now slipped from "they can take a good OT at the top of the 2nd round" to "there are starters in the 4th round".  By the time we're on the clock I expect it'll be all the way to "there are plenty of undrafted free agents that own jerseys with offensive line numbers on them!"

Houston’s Payton Turner rising up draft boards

(4:45 PM ET) Yesterday, I mentioned Davis Mills as the fastest rising player on draft boards. If there is an equivalent on defense, it would be Houston defensive lineman Payton Turner. Turner is coming off a terrific senior season as well as three good days of practice at the Senior Bowl. Most who I’ve spoken with tell me Turner will be selected ahead of Miami’s Gregory Rousseau, and he has an outside shot of landing in the late part of Round 1.

4 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

There may be a lot of prospects in this OL class but that doesn't mean they are all of 1st/2nd round quality

Maybe not but I guarantee one will be sitting there at 38 that is. Doesn’t mean we take one though..

1 hour ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Houston’s Payton Turner rising up draft boards

(4:45 PM ET) Yesterday, I mentioned Davis Mills as the fastest rising player on draft boards. If there is an equivalent on defense, it would be Houston defensive lineman Payton Turner. Turner is coming off a terrific senior season as well as three good days of practice at the Senior Bowl. Most who I’ve spoken with tell me Turner will be selected ahead of Miami’s Gregory Rousseau, and he has an outside shot of landing in the late part of Round 1.

Him or Milton Williams at 38. I like the odds. 

4 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Isn't that the thing we're consistently well under (despite Hobson's annual poor-mouthing)?

Maybe I'm thinking of a .500 record IDK

You don’t understand how the salary cap works, at all.  Every team has to spend to 95% of the cap total in REAL dollars over every 5 year validation period.  If you don’t, you have to write a check to the players’ union to make up the difference. 

Please stop with this mythical “the Bengals don’t spend money on players” bullshit.  Its embarrassing.  

The Bengals are cheap in every other area but not when it comes to MANDATORY salary cap spending. Failure to do so  would give the other owners the legal right to force the Brown family to sell.  They would do it in a heartbeat. 

But the team also is one of the few that does not play the cap game, or gaming, whereby you can shift cap dollars down the road. So yes, we spend the cash part of the cap but many teams spend more by continually using future cap space. In that regard we are cheap. The cap could be leveraged but we do not do that.

Quick question, IIRC last year the Bengals drafted almost exclusively (6 of 7) team captains. Has anyone heard if they are going to do that again? If gthey do it could very well affect they people they draft in a big way.

Also was listening to the Bengals Booth podcast and Lapham SEEMS to think the Bengals are taking Sewell, tho he said he could be talked out of it easily.  So there is hope.  :)

7 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

But the team also is one of the few that does not play the cap game, or gaming, whereby you can shift cap dollars down the road. So yes, we spend the cash part of the cap but many teams spend more by continually using future cap space. In that regard we are cheap. The cap could be leveraged but we do not do that.

It’s not a game, it’s a strategy and moving part of one highly paid player’s salary to a future date is done so you can spend it NOW on another player.  

At the end of the day 89% of that money has to be spent in that year and 95% total has to be spent over the 5 years, it can’t be deferred. 

It is the reason the Cleveland Browns paid Brock Osweiller $15.2 mil for one year to never take a snap.  They had to spend money 

2 hours ago, SF2 said:

It’s not a game, it’s a strategy and moving part of one highly paid player’s salary to a future date is done so you can spend it NOW on another player.  

At the end of the day 89% of that money has to be spent in that year and 95% total has to be spent over the 5 years, it can’t be deferred. 

It is the reason the Cleveland Browns paid Brock Osweiller $15.2 mil for one year to never take a snap.  They had to spend money 

Strategy is a better term for than gaming. I agree the cash cost can not be deferred but the main point is the cap value CAN be leveraged but this team will not do that. 

15 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

"Math is hard."   Mike Brown

17 hours ago, SF2 said:

You don’t understand how the salary cap works, at all.  Every team has to spend to 95% of the cap total in REAL dollars over every 5 year validation period.  If you don’t, you have to write a check to the players’ union to make up the difference. 

Please stop with this mythical “the Bengals don’t spend money on players” bullshit.  Its embarrassing.  

The Bengals are cheap in every other area but not when it comes to MANDATORY salary cap spending. Failure to do so  would give the other owners the legal right to force the Brown family to sell.  They would do it in a heartbeat. 

You must be easily embarrassed by dumb shit.  Are you one of those people whose entire day is ruined if you get some egg on your shirt over breakfast?  Take about 10-20% off the top there, Tex.

Anyway, we're consistently at the top of lists like this one:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/2021/

IDK, maybe they're Big Stupid like me?

7 hours ago, T-Dub said:

You must be easily embarrassed by dumb shit.  Are you one of those people whose entire day is ruined if you get some egg on your shirt over breakfast?  Take about 10-20% off the top there, Tex.

Anyway, we're consistently at the top of lists like this one:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/2021/

IDK, maybe they're Big Stupid like me?

God you are stupid. It’s April dumbass. You really can’t be this fucking stupid. You are aware that the season doesn’t end for another 8 months?  Honestly, do you understand how this shit actually works?  

If you really gave a shit about the Bengals, you would be happy as fuck they still have money to spend in late April.  Unfortunately, you just want an excuse to piss on the team every chance you get.  

2 hours ago, SF2 said:

God you are stupid. It’s April dumbass. You really can’t be this fucking stupid. You are aware that the season doesn’t end for another 8 months?  Honestly, do you understand how this shit actually works?  

If you really gave a shit about the Bengals, you would be happy as fuck they still have money to spend in late April.  Unfortunately, you just want an excuse to piss on the team every chance you get.  

we have won 6 games in two years with cap space to spend, happy as fuck over here. 

5 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

we have won 6 games in two years with cap space to spend, happy as fuck over here. 

So have the Lions.  It has nothing to do with player spending, it has to do with incompetent ownership.  The Cowboys and Washington Football team are no different. 

22 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

They have known they have an OL problem for three years. Knowing it and acting to fix it are different things. It's like 'we suck at drafting LB's", so just draft more and that should fix that. 

They knew it before they let Whit and Zeitler go.  They should have re-signed one of the two.  I honestly don’t think they ever had a chance to sign Whit.  The Rams were willing to pay way more. Basically $15mil guaranteed to help win them a Super Bowl. 

There was no evidence Cedric was EVER going to be anything approaching starter material after that first horrible year.  Our best lineman in 2017 was probably Andre Smith.  Ouch. The whole mismanagement cost Marvin his job most likely.  

Whatever happens tonight probably won’t fix the atrocious defense either.  We may revert back to the Shake and Blake days.  Fun to watch but not good enough to win consistently.  

13 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Whatever happens tonight probably won’t fix the atrocious defense either.  We may revert back to the Shake and Blake days.  Fun to watch but not good enough to win consistently.  

This is another reason I don't want Chase. If there is a DE/DT that falls to our #2, I feel the Bengals will draft him and push OL to the third.

14 minutes ago, SF2 said:

There was no evidence Cedric was EVER going to be anything approaching starter material after that first horrible year.  Our best lineman in 2017 was probably Andre Smith.  Ouch. The whole mismanagement cost Marvin his job most likely.  

Did it cost Marvin his job, or was Marvin just fed up with having to deal with Mike Brown’s loyalty to shitty assistant coaches that love ketchup?

Archived