Detroit fully penetrates the Rams on this deal. I thought it was a practical joke. To get two first round picks and a third round pick without Goff is laughable.

Two QB changes already. I’m starting to think we may see one of the biggest league wide upheavals at the position we’ve ever seen. 

15 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:

Detroit fully penetrates the Rams on this deal. I thought it was a practical joke. To get two first round picks and a third round pick without Goff is laughable.

I too, thought it was a joke when I saw the first report of this “trade”.  Unreal.

The Rams are idiots and their fans should be ticked off.  St Louis is laughing at that stupid owner some more.  Rams had not had a first round pick since 2016 and now not until 2024.  How has that improved their team?  They gave up two first round picks (2022/2023) and a third round pick 2021. He has been in the league for 12 years too and not won a thing. Unreal!  

36 minutes ago, TigerJ@w said:

The Rams are idiots and their fans should be ticked off.  St Louis is laughing at that stupid owner some more.  Rams had not had a first round pick since 2016 and now not until 2024.  How has that improved their team?  They gave up two first round picks (2022/2023) and a third round pick 2021. He has been in the league for 12 years too and not won a thing. Unreal!  

They had a plan and it was a descent one until the overpaid for Gurley and then thought they needed to solidify Goff before they really had to. Now they are scrambling and they have a very tight window to win (with Stafford) before they will have to start all over. 

I really think that in time, the Rams will be the winners in this trade. Detroit had a decent offensive line, but the Rams is better but how many more years can Whit play? Seems pretty obvious it's a win now decision, but Stafford could easily play 7-9 more years. If they blow it like the Bengals and fail to replenish the O-line then it's a wash.

What'll be interesting is what Detroit does in the draft, sitting at 7 I believe. Good spot to take a QB, they don't need more picks. 

Stafford may very well paly many years but if he is just 'meh' and useless in the playoffs then the Rams lose. To me this deal hinges on how McVey and Stafford make this work in terms of playoff wins and a strong SB run. Stafford also has a pretty extensive injury portfolio. This deal from the Rams perspective seems strategic and reckless at the same time, very strange.

14 hours ago, SF2 said:

I mean if this trade was for Watson, I would be ok with it.  Stafford is the 21st century Archie Manning.  

Or, as I remarked to 2 of my friends this morning, he's the NFC version of Andy Dalton. (In that he's never won a playoff game.)

On 1/29/2021 at 2:48 AM, SF2 said:

My 2cents:

I don’t understand the love affair with Matt Stafford or Prescott.  Prescott had a great oline, very good receivers and Zeke in his prime. He didn’t win shit.  I can give Prescott some benefit of the doubt since he is still young but....

Matthew fucking Stafford.  He has NEVER EVER DONE SHIT. 74-90-1 as a starter.  In 12 years he has made the playoffs 3 times (0-3) and won his division....NEVER.  2nd place 3 times in 12 years.

Ask yourself this: If Rodgers had gone to Detroit would he be 74-90-1 and a 1 time pro bowler?  Can you remember any big game Stafford played in? Beating Hawaii in the Sugar Bowl?  Andy Dalton has a better resume.  

On 1/29/2021 at 10:03 AM, Sea Ray said:

Matt Stafford packs his stats like crazy in the 4th qtr when his team is down 3 scores. When he's down one score he's good for a pick or a fumble

Matthew Stafford is a reasonable starter.  He's definitely not worth the trade done between the Lion's and Ram's.  The TV shows were talking up Stafford today.  The one stat used to justify all the hoopla was his 282 TDs which is an awesome stat but should never be taken in isolation.

Calvin Johnson accounted for approximately 41 percent of Stafford's TDs when both were present.  By comparison that is easier to understand, Chad Johnson accounted for only 30 percent of Carson Palmer's TDs when both were present.

While Stafford is no Tom Brady, he might just be comparable to Carson Palmer.  I found a significant figure that illustrates (in most cases) a poor or less than average Offensive line.  Sack percentage might also be about a poor release time but I think it's easy to say that Stafford or Palmer had/have that problem with release time.  However, both Palmer and Stafford had nearly 6 percent sack percentage or over for their careers (Palmer with the Bengals).  

In short, Stafford behind a decent line at the Rams will perform better than Goff.  Goff behind the Lion's line will be a miserable train wreck.  Is this worth the trade ?  No.  Nothing and no single player of questionable skills IMHO is worth that many first rounds.  ... and NO QB will reach any great heights behind a crap line.

SeaRay, Stafford's ability in the 4th quarter is an accurate statement but as an INT percentage might not be much different than any other QB suffering behind a bad line or always behind late in the game.  

Archived