Week 1 Match-up: Bengals vs Browns

Game-day details
Sun., 1 p.m. ET, Cleveland Browns Stadium
Weather forecast from AccuWeather.com:
Mostly sunny. High: 74. Low: 55.

Why To Watch

These are not your father's Bengals -- these guys actually can play. Coach Marvin Lewis returns respectability to the franchise, but not with his trademark defense. Young studs on offense lead this resurgence, most notably quarterback Carson Palmer, running back Rudi Johnson and wideout Chad Johnson. In their third season under Lewis, the Bengals are playoff contenders for the first time since 1990. Their first step would be a convincing victory at the Dawg Pound.

The once-proud Browns are a shambles. They lack talent to be competitive and see another dismal season on the Lake Erie horizon. Into this void steps Romeo Crennel, who gets his long-overdue assignment as coach with a team that needs him most. Crennel will take lessons learned from the Parcells-Belichick school and apply it as best he can with the meager talent on hand. His three tenets: play solid defense, use a ball-control running game and limit mistakes. But these are the Browns, not the Patriots, so Crennel will have a huge challenge.

[b]Bengals Keys For Success [/b]

1. Protect the quarterback. Palmer is a pocket passer and needs time to let plays develop. When rushed, he tends to make mistakes and abandon his reads. Opponents took notice last season and applied pressure up the middle. With the emergence of guard Eric Steinbach, that leak might be plugged.

2. Attack the secondary. Wideouts Chad Johnson, T.J. Houshmanzadeh and Kelley Washington are big, fluid targets. They create major mismatches against a secondary that includes three new starters, with cornerback Gary Baxter the only proven newcomer.

3. Establish a front-four pass rush. Ends Justin Smith and Robert Geathers must attack quarterback Trent Dilfer, who doesn't throw well under pressure. Linemen must keep squeezing Dilfer without help from blitzing linebackers. If Dilfer sees the blitz, he will switch to short passes to his tight ends.

Browns Keys For Success

1. Make no mistakes. Dilfer's job is to do what he did with the Ravens when they won the Super Bowl in 2000 -- take what the defense gives and eliminate errors. Look for few frills on offense. The job is to control the ball, keep the game close, trust special teams to produce favorable field position and hope the defense can make a play to steal the game.

2. Confuse Palmer. Forget his physical attributes: Palmer doesn't make quick reads and adjustments under pressure. Crennel's defensive plan will include an array of blitzes and stunts to keep Palmer off balance and guessing.

3. Don't let the Bengals stretch the field. Palmer is at his best when throwing deep, which is big trouble against a team that has neither a solid pass rush nor capable coverage. To compensate, the Browns must blitz effectively and force wideouts to shorten routes that give the secondary a chance to create turnover opportunities.

Injuries at a glance

[b]Bengals injuries[/b]
Updated Player
Pos. Injury
Status
8/24/05 [b]Shayne Graham K[/b] Groin Day to day

Browns injuries
Updated Player
Pos. Injury
Status
8/31/05 Kellen Winslow TE Knee Out for season
8/27/05 Lee Suggs RB Ankle Out until 9/3, at least

The Bottom Line

Crennel will need plenty of Patriots magic and a near-perfect game for his team to keep this one close. Cleveland can't match the Bengals' firepower, and its defense is a work in progress. Palmer & Co. will score early and often, winning going away.

Pick: [b]Bengals 31[/b] , Browns 10

[b] When the Bengals Have the Ball [/b]
The Bengals have become fairly balanced offensively and they have continued to upgrade their roster in Marvin Lewis’ third year. While their success will ride heavily on the running game and Rudi Johnson, quarterback Carson Palmer has been showing great poise in the pocket and has a full complement of options with which to work.

Palmer is most effective when he has time to throw passes longer than 15 yards. He is less accurate with his short passes as his ball tends to sail. But when he throws downfield, he shows great velocity, accuracy and touch.

The success of the running game is foremost for the Bengals as they look to set up the play-action passing attack. Palmer has developed into a good ballhandler and executes play fakes well enough that he can get the Browns' eager cornerbacks to bite. While the Bengals will run for ball-control rhythm, they will use play-action for quick-strike attempts to their dangerous wide receivers.

Chad Johnson has developed into the Bengals' biggest vertical playmaker. He has a verbal grudge match still pending with the Browns from last season and will be looking to get the last word in this matchup.

The one knock on Johnson is that he can disappear or sulk if things go badly. The Bengals know that and will look to get the ball to him early and get him in the flow of the game. He will be matched up against former Raven Gary Baxter, Cleveland’s top free-agent addition.

The Browns know the key to beating the Bengals is to stuff the run first and then get pressure on Palmer to keep him from having the time to throw deep. While the Browns have solid run stuffers in end Orpheus Roye and inside linebacker Andra Davis, they lack a proven pass rusher.

The Browns have improved their defensive speed, however, and will try to blitz to get pressure, but the Bengals' receivers would then benefit from favorable single coverage if the line can protect Palmer. The Browns may develop a solid 3-4 in time, but for now they will rely on coach Romeo Crennel’s play-calling to hide their deficiencies as they look to keep this game close. Advantage: Bengals.

[b]FOCAL POINT [/b]

Protecting Palmer. Palmer got generally good reviews last year when he threw for nearly 2,897 yards and 18 touchdowns. The bad part is he also threw 18 interceptions. Palmer got rattled when pressured, and as young players do, he made too many mistakes with the ball.

The Bengals expect that Cleveland will try to stuff the run and then come after Palmer. The Cincinnati line must get a strong push in the running game from the outset to keep Cleveland in its base defense. Crennel will be hesitant to bring help up into the box, because that will leave his corners in single coverage against Cincinnati’s explosive receivers.

Cleveland will not have the opportunity to blitz, giving Palmer time in the pocket and the chance to make good decisions with the ball. [b]Advantage: Bengals.[/b]

[b]When the Browns Have the Ball [/b]
Cleveland’s offensive talent is just average and it lacks difference-makers, unless rookie wide receiver Braylon Edwards develops quicker than expected. The Browns' game plan will be conservative running on first down, another run, throwing only when they must, punting to create favorable field position for the defense and hoping to stay close.

Trent Dilfer was brought in specifically for his experience in the role of quarterback in a “prevent offense”, having led the Ravens to a Super Bowl season on the production of the defense and a limited but low-risk offense. The Browns, however, are equally bereft of difference-makers on a defense that will be molded in the team-first, chemistry as a unit -- the Bill Belichick-Bill Parcells model that coach Romeo Crennel has been schooled in -- and that will take time to develop.

So offensive coordinator Maurice Carthon, also a Belichick-Parcells protégé, will call upon his own unit to run inside behind center Jeff Faine and newcomer guards Joe Andruzzi (a former Patriot) and Cosey Coleman. Lee Suggs has missed considerable time this preseason and may not be ready to go, so the Browns will blow the dust off William Green and try to get some production out of former Bronco Reuben Droughns, who has struggled in preseason action, in a rotation with Green.

When Dilfer does pass, it will be high-percentage throws to tight ends Steve Heiden and Aaron Shea, both solid-pass catchers but neither big threats, and into short routes to his wide receivers in zones between the Bengals' linebackers and defensive backs.

Dilfer will take some downfield shots to Edwards, looking to catch some lightning in a bottle, but it won’t be a big piece of the game plan. The team's most dependable wideout is Dennis Northcutt, and he will get plenty of work over the middle, especially if the running game is completely stalled.

The biggest question mark is whether Dilfer can step up if called upon to actually create some downfield production. He has struggled in the past when facing pressure, not recognizing coverage quickly and getting through his progressions. But he now is more experienced.

If Dilfer can establish any rhythm in a short passing game and cause the Bengals' linebackers to respect the tight ends and wide receivers over the middle, the Browns may be able to create some running room by exploiting a Bengals’ one-gap defensive line that sacrifices size for speed and looks to play aggressively, shooting gaps and getting upfield.

The Bengals had trouble stopping the run and getting to the passer last season. In addition they relied too heavily on their defensive backs' athleticism in pass coverage.

Against the Browns it will be all about pressure all day long. The Bengals will attack the gaps in the running game, send end Justin Smith flying upfield on passing downs and mix in constant blitzes from different places to confuse Dilfer and the Browns' new-look line.

Nobody knows how to rattle Dilfer better than Bengals coach Marvin Lewis, who was the defensive coordinator on the same Ravens Super Bowl team. Advantage: Bengals.

[b]FOCAL POINT [/b]

The short passing game. Dilfer can be very efficient if he can maintain in a comfort zone in the pocket, and that's why the Bengals will try to create pressure with their four-man front and blitz at every opportunity. Cincinnati will shoot gaps and bring a speed rush from both ends, not only to stop the run but also to force Dilfer into making mistakes.

But Dilfer is adept at recognizing the blitz. He must have the presence of mind to get rid of the ball and make the throw, most likely to one of the tight ends, Shea or Heiden. [b]Advantage: Browns[/b]

[b]Key Individual Matchups [/b]

» [b]Bengals QB Carson Palmer [/b] vs. Browns coach Romeo Crennel | [b]Bengals RB Rudi Johnson [/b] vs. Browns ILB Andra Davis | [b]Bengals DE Justin Smith [/b] vs. Browns QB Trent Dilfer

[b]Bengals QB Carson Palmer [/b] vs. Browns coach Romeo Crennel
Crennel will need to use every trick he learned with the Patriots to get any success with a defense that lacks a reliable pass rush. He must mix alignments and sprinkle liberally with blitzes that will keep Palmer uncomfortable, gambling that a profusion of looks will hide the flaws on defense. But if Palmer gets help from his blockers, he will find time to make the Browns pay for high-risk maneuvers. [b]Advantage: Palmer.[/b]

[b]Palmer Scouting Report[/b]

[b]Strengths:[/b] Has excellent size and solid arm strength. Improved his accuracy to all levels and throws a solid deep ball. Is a good athlete for the position. Has deceptive quickness leaving the pocket and is a threat on the run. Has a quick release. Is mentally and physically tough.

[b]Weaknesses: [/b] Is not a quick learner. Is slow to go through his progressions and sometimes holds the ball too long. Forces the ball too often and throws too many bad interceptions.

[b]Bottom line:[/b] Palmer started the 2004 season poorly but played better in spurts over the second half of the year. He should go into the 2005 season with much more confidence.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[b]Bengals RB Rudi Johnson [/b] vs. Browns ILB Andra Davis
Davis should be the biggest beneficiary of Crennel's base 3-4, two-gap defensive scheme. He will have the ability to flow between the tackles with three linemen occupying blockers, leaving him free to run to the ball. Sounds great, but that won't be enough. Johnson is a tough inside runner, a hammer from tackle to tackle. He doesn't have breakaway speed, but he can get outside and move the chains. If Johnson is effective early, the Browns are in for a long day. Johnson's success will give Palmer time to throw, particularly in play-action situations that get his receivers deep.[b] Advantage: Johnson. [/b]

[b] Johnson Scouting Report[/b]

[b]Strengths:[/b] Is a “bull in a china shop” type back with great power and lower-body strength. Has very good production between the tackles and is always running north and south. Has good balance and quick feet. Does a nice job hitting the seam. Is surprisingly quick and sometimes flashes burst to the second level.

[b]Weaknesses:[/b] Is not elusive. Has no ability to take it the distance. Won’t turn the corner on most defenses. Lacks a second gear and is not going to make people miss in the open field. Needs improvement in pass protection.

[b]Bottom line:[/b] Johnson is a solid between-the-tackles runner, but he needs to upgrade his receiving skills in order to become more valuable as an all-around back.

Davis Scouting Report

Strengths: Is a tough, aggressive tackle-to-tackle linebacker who can fill inside run lanes and attack fullbacks in the hole. Is a very good tackler in the box, is a solid hitter, uses his hands well to take on and get off blocks in-line. Has very good instincts and a good feel in underneath zone coverage and is a student of the game.

Weaknesses: Injured a knee and missed the end of the 2004 season. Lacks speed and range and struggles in man coverage if he must run down seams with fast tight ends or backs. Will dive and miss in space.

Bottom line: Davis is one of the most consistent Browns players. He is somewhat limited, but he plays hard and has a bright future.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[b]Bengals DE Justin Smith [/b] vs. Browns QB Trent Dilfer
The Browns will have a tough time running the ball, especially if Lee Suggs can’t play. So Dilfer should be put into more must-pass situations than the Browns would like. That means Smith will have more chances to pin his ears back and go after the quarterback.

If Smith can get through right tackle Ryan Tucker and the tight end who will most likely give help on that side, Dilfer will be forced to rush his throws or take a sack. If Dilfer can maintain his composure and throw to that tight end behind Smith’s rush, it will neutralize the Bengals’ pursuit. In most cases, however, that means calling upon a tight end to be both a blocker and receiver on the same play, which isn't an ideal situation. [b]Advantage: Smith.[/b]

[b]Smith Scouting Report[/b]

[b]Strengths:[/b] Has improved size and strength. Shows solid first-step quickness. Has a big-time motor. Displays excellent lateral speed and range. Plays well through traffic and can get down the line in a hurry. Is an explosive hitter and tackler. Has improved his sack production and bull rush.

[b]Weaknesses:[/b] Has lost some explosiveness. Will struggle when pass rushing against good, athletic left tackles. Hasn’t developed counter-rush moves. Struggles to get pressure if he doesn’t win getting to the edge

[b]Bottom line:[/b] Smith is a good player but has yet to be the dominating presence the Bengals thought they were getting when they selected him with the fourth overall pick in the 2001 draft.

Dilfer Scouting Report
Strengths: Has good size and is accurate when given time. Can see his throwing lanes and be an effective pocket passer. Is smart and can make adjustments in the huddle and at the line.
Weaknesses: No longer has good arm strength. Forces throws into coverage and puts passes up for grabs, especially when blitzed. Seems to lack patience. Has marginal mobility and doesn't throw well on the run. Durability is an issue.

Bottom line: Dilfer is a decent short-term fix for Cleveland, but his character and intensity only go so far.

Guest mongoloido
I always hated reading scouting reports that said our keys for victory were to make no mistakes, and try to do things to limit the opponent. It hurt to see that our keys to victory had no mention of team strengths, only trying to hide team weaknesses. I don't envy the Browns fans this year (never, but particularly now). Rebuilding blows in every corner of the game.

im actually pretty impressed that someone wrote such an in depth analysis, i think they are off a little on our keys to winning, but its all opinion, and none of us have any control over it...

im getting antsy as all helll... i need football NOW....

i might have to watch some old games...

[quote name='GoBengals' date='Sep 4 2005, 08:06 PM']im actually pretty impressed that someone wrote such an in depth analysis, i think they are off a little on our keys to winning, but its all opinion, and none of us have any control over it...

im getting antsy as all helll... i need football NOW....

i might have to watch some old games...
[right][post="142504"][/post][/right][/quote]

Yeah, I don't agree with some of it either but like you said it's their opinion. I get these match-ups every week from the Sportingnews (warroom).

I know it's only week away, I can't believe it's finally gonna be here. :headbang:

WHO DEY!!!

Um, I don't like that scouting report at all. They make it look like Palmer is a deep passer who struggles with the short game, while Dilfer is the short, ball control passer who can't go deep. That couldn't be more wrong!

Dilfer is one of the best in the league at throwing an accruate deep ball. He is very similar to Jake Delhomme in that he is inaccurate with short passes, especially crosses and flat patterns, but he will not underthrow the long ball like Carson does. Or at least that was the case 3 years ago... maybe he has recessed since then.

Carson, meanwhile, is a touch passer who is great at working the intermediate areas, but he'll underthrow the deep ball (perhaps trying to get it too perfect).

just a fact:

last year for the opener the browns won at home against the ravens( which isnot a shitty team)

i don't know if it is the ravens that lose that game or what and if the coming of romeo crennel will change something

but

don't already count this game as an easy victory

WE WILL WIN!!
i know it but it will by respecting th oponent not by coming on the field being sure that the game is already won

The Great Marvin said:
[quote]he was going to attack complacency[/quote]

and fans have to do it too
i am fed up of hearing how good we are going to be
we have won nothing until now
we are still the team that has not have a winning season in 15 years
i am tired of seeing topic tittles:
[quote]14-2 or 15-1???[/quote]
[quote]we are already a dinasty![/quote]

and all this kind of bullshit

ok soory for being rude and i would like to be very optimistic
but i will be very happy if we are 10-6 even 9-7 would be a big leap for us

i know i know sorry for being pessimistic but the higher the harder the fall so i prefer have low expectations and be surprised during the season than already buying my bengals SB tickets and kill myself when we will only be a wild card( oh i would love to be a wild card!)

Guest BengalBacker

[quote name='swordman' date='Sep 5 2005, 04:14 AM']just a fact:

last year for the opener the browns won at home against the ravens( which isnot a shitty team)

i don't know if it is the ravens that lose that game or what and if the coming of romeo crennel will change something

but

don't already count this game as an easy victory

WE WILL WIN!!
i know it but it will by respecting th oponent not by coming on the field being sure that the game is already won

The Great Marvin said:
and fans have to do it too
i am fed up of hearing how good we are going to be
we have won nothing until now
we are still the team that has not have a winning season in 15 years
i am tired of seeing topic tittles:
and all this kind of bullshit
ok soory for being rude and i would like to be very optimistic
but i will be very happy if we are 10-6 even 9-7 would be a big leap for us
i know i know sorry for being pessimistic but the higher the harder the fall so i prefer have low expectations and be surprised during the season than already buying my bengals SB tickets and kill myself when we will only be a wild card( oh i would love to be a wild card!)
[right][post="142592"][/post][/right][/quote]

13 and 3

:)

:headbang:

Archived