Bengals putting up a Ring of Honor? Yes! It's now official!

1 hour ago, BengalFanInTO said:

So, who would you put in a Bengals Ring of Honor? I believe the Cowboys have a total of 21 people in theirs. Do you start with a full ring? I don't think so but could be wrong. I'd suggest Munoz is a guarantee but, who after that?

Anderson, Munoz, Esiason, Krumrie, Johnson, Bob, Anderson, Willie., Curtis

Maybe:  Williams, R., Dillon

A million years ago, someone... (well, okay, it was me)... someone started a thread regarding which players should be in a hypothetical Ring of Honor.  It was based on math (duh, if anyone knows me that shouldn't be a surprise) and it was based on a formula that included # of seasons as a Bengal and the # of Pro-Bowl selections during that time.... or for coaches is was seasons and playoff appearances.

Here's the Pro-Bowl list:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/cin/all-pros.htm

The list is pretty long so I'll cut it off at 30.  I've put those who should automatically be in MY Ring at the top and list why:

LOCKS (5):

Paul Brown - Founder

Anthony Munoz - HOF

Ken Anderson - MVP

Boomer Esiason - MVP

Ken Riley - HOF Snub

The Rest (6-30) with their scores

32.6 Geno Atkins (11 Seasons / 8 Pro Bowls)
27.9 AJ Green (9/7)
26.9 *Marvin Lewis (16 Seasons / 7 Playoff Appearances)

26.2 Chad Johnson (10/6)
24.2 Lemar Parish (8/6)
22.8 Willie Anderson (12/4)
22.8 Isaac Curtis (12/4)
20.8 Bob Trumpy (10/4)
19.1 Andrew Whitworth (11/3)
19.1 Max Montoya (11/3)
19.1 Rodney Holman (11/3)
18.8 James Brooks (8/4)

17.4 Tim Krumrie (12/2)
17.1 Andy Dalton (9/3)
16.4 Carlos Dunlap (11/2)
16.1 Cris Collinsworth (8/3)
15.1 David Fulcher (7/3)
15.1 Corey Dillon (7/3)
14.7 Clark Harris (12/1)
14.7 Jim LeClair (12/1)

14.7 Kevin Huber (12/1)
14.1 Tommy Cassanova (6/3)
13.4 Carl Pickens (8/2)
12.7 Pat McInally (10/1)
12.4 Carson Palmer (7/2)

Not saying this is the order they should go in - not by any means.  I'm merely providing a metric to rank them relative to one another.  Frankly, my next five after the locks would be Geno Atkins, Chad Johnson, Willie Anderson, Isaac Curis and Sam Wyche....  Montoya, Collinsworth and Krumrie would be next up.

2 hours ago, BengalFanInTO said:

So, who would you put in a Bengals Ring of Honor? I believe the Cowboys have a total of 21 people in theirs. Do you start with a full ring? I don't think so but could be wrong. I'd suggest Munoz is a guarantee but, who after that?

You don't want to start with a full ring - you need to create an annual event around it. I don't think PB should be in it, the stadium is already named after him. 

6 minutes ago, AmishBengalFan said:

We should also retire a few jersey numbers while we're at it.

Ehh.. pass.  Let the numbers stay.  I think it’s great to see guys resurrect classic Bengal numbers. Those three are big shoes to fill though. 

If we ignore ProBowl selections (which leans toward being a popularity contest - one that Ken Riley never won because he wasn't well liked - and go with All Pro selections instead, the player list gets juggled quite a bit:

37.3 Anthony Munoz (13/9)
20.1 Willie Anderson (12/3)
18.7 Ken Anderson (16/1)
17.7 Ken Riley (15/1)
16.4 Geno Atkins (11/2)
15.4 Chad Johnson (10/2)
14.7 Tim Krumrie (12/1)
13.7 Andrew Whitworth (11/1)
12.7 Bob Trumpy, Boomer Esiason, Pat McInally, Louis Breeden (all 10/1)

Nobody else earned All Pro.

2 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

It should depend on how the team defines 'Honor' - could be a great teammate and community leader and less so about Pro Bowls. 

Agreed.  But as my college degree ends in ".... of Science" and I can't quantify touchy-feely stuff like "great teammate" and "community leader"... I am using math with quantifiable things.

My lists are intended to merely be a starting point for discussion and certainly should not the metric by which everyone should be considered against each other.  If I'm being misinterpreted as suggesting that - my bad.

3 hours ago, AmishBengalFan said:

Agreed.  But as my college degree ends in ".... of Science" and I can't quantify touchy-feely stuff like "great teammate" and "community leader"... I am using math with quantifiable things.

My lists are intended to merely be a starting point for discussion and certainly should not the metric by which everyone should be considered against each other.  If I'm being misinterpreted as suggesting that - my bad.

Your list(s) were great, I was using our own CFL team's ring of honor as an example - we had some long term players that perhaps the league never properly recognized but the fans sure did. We also have 4 statues in front of the 4 main stadium entrances of the elite of our ring of honor - two of them are Bud Grant and Milt Stegall (who many here may remember)

5 hours ago, AmishBengalFan said:

If we ignore ProBowl selections (which leans toward being a popularity contest - one that Ken Riley never won because he wasn't well liked - and go with All Pro selections instead, the player list gets juggled quite a bit:

37.3 Anthony Munoz (13/9)
20.1 Willie Anderson (12/3)
18.7 Ken Anderson (16/1)
17.7 Ken Riley (15/1)
16.4 Geno Atkins (11/2)
15.4 Chad Johnson (10/2)
14.7 Tim Krumrie (12/1)
13.7 Andrew Whitworth (11/1)
12.7 Bob Trumpy, Boomer Esiason, Pat McInally, Louis Breeden (all 10/1)

Nobody else earned All Pro.

fwiw, I would hate to restrict qualifications to include only All-Pro selections, as this team's players were forever overlooked for those just like they have been for HoF. I would want James Brooks in a Ring of Honor, for instance, still think he is the best all around back in team history. But that would exclude him. 

Archived