Bengals putting up a Ring of Honor? Yes! It's now official!

3 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

I debated this as well, in my head, but he created the team and is one of only two Bengals on the HOF

He created 2 Ohio teams..

Hes a legend in footballl.

A Hall of Famer !!...

His innovations to the game were

standout..

He moved the segregation bar more than anyone in those days

He coached Ohio St to their 1st

National Championship.

Why would you even debate his induction?

12 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

He created 2 Ohio teams..

Hes a legend in footballl.

A Hall of Famer !!...

His innovations to the game were

standout..

He moved the segregation bar more than anyone in those days

He coached Ohio St to their 1st

National Championship.

Why would you even debate his induction?

Because none of that was done while he was with the Bengals. It's a Bengals ring of honor. He of course belongs in the pro football hall of fame for his contributions while with the Browns.

My God, you guys sound like a Twitter mob. 

He founded the team.  He coached them to a playoff berth in their third year of existence which was unheard of at the time.  By the mid 70s the Bengals were a hell of a team, just not as good as the Stealers.  Without Paul Brown there is no football in Cincinnati.  Honestly, without Mike Brown there is not football in Cincinnati.  A big time owner would have moved them years ago. 

4 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

He founded the team.  He coached them to a playoff berth in their third year of existence which was unheard of at the time.  By the mid 70s the Bengals were a hell of a team, just not as good as the Stealers.  Without Paul Brown there is no football in Cincinnati.  Honestly, without Mike Brown there is not football in Cincinnati.  A big time owner would have moved them years ago. 

Only because of Steroids.  Don’t you mean because of Cincinnati Taxpayers that football is in Cincy?  Mike Brown threatened to move the team if the taxpayers did not answer.  Now Paul Brown on the other hand, I agree. Listen to Anthony Munoz talk about the man and that is all you need to know. 

7 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Thanks God for Mike Brown! Without him, where would we be? Without him we would have NEVER even made those playoff games we lost!!

6 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Thanks God for Mike Brown! Without him, where would we be? Without him we would have NEVER even made those playoff games we lost!!

Damn you.  You broke my sarcasm meter.  😡

12 minutes ago, TigerJ@w said:

Only because of Steroids.  Don’t you mean because of Cincinnati Taxpayers that football is in Cincy?  Mike Brown threatened to move the team if the taxpayers did not answer.  Now Paul Brown on the other hand, I agree. Listen to Anthony Munoz talk about the man and that is all you need to know. 

Are you referring to the Stealers and steroids?  Hate the fucks, but don’t think the Bengals were clean. Remember Pat Matson?  Total juice freak that had his own chain of fitness centers.  

On 2/11/2021 at 7:23 PM, Spotto said:

Corey Dillon not getting much love here.  For me, in my era he would have to be close to getting on the new ring of honour.  Maybe the second intake?

He should definitely be included in the ring of fame.  He was an all time great in Cincy.

14 minutes ago, BENgal Solo said:

He should definitely be included in the ring of fame.  He was an all time great in Cincy.

He was the best RB ..James Brooks, Pete Johnson ans Rudi Johnson will be considered down the road but Dillon would be the first RB in the ring..

Ken Anderson, Ken Riley, Tim Krumrie and Bob Johnson should be the next 4 imo..

57 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

He was the best RB ..James Brooks, Pete Johnson ans Rudi Johnson will be considered down the road but Dillon would be the first RB in the ring..

Few consider Paul Robinson. There were no RB fantasy points back in his day, but he was an integral part of those first number of years for the franchise. 

20 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Few consider Paul Robinson. There were no RB fantasy points back in his day, but he was an integral part of those first number of years for the franchise. 

Ickey Woods Jess Phillips and Cedric Benson would come to mind before Robinson..

He had a one year wonder season as a rookie but for reasons faded.

He gave them what they needed in the run game that year though..

3 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Looking at these four deserving players I hope Krumrie goes first among them.

Hes really hurtin and this would help lift his spirit to no end. 

Hes was truly a special type player..

Hell Id go ahead and put him in with PB and Munioz...

Time to show the love for a player and person besides just stats..

7 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

Is he on decent terms with the organization?

Actually, yes he is.  The pic above (now deleted) was taken at a Bengals dinner for former Bengal players.  Very upbeat and nice guy.  Great to see him and his attitude although I was surprised with the way he left.

• 3 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

I think you have to go with the two Kens.

Though I would not be entirely surprised if Chad and Willie got alot of votes.

Yeah, a lot of current fans never saw those two play. Isaac Curtis deserves it as well. 

Can we at least start by ranking ballot players from the same position?  If there's a "best" player at that position, the "next best" player shouldn't be considered until the "best" player is.

Here are the position with multiple nominees, and I've listed them in the order I would take them in:

QB:  Ken Anderson, Boomer Esiason

RB:  Corey Dillon, James Brooks

WR: Isaac Curtis, Chad Johnson, Cris Collinsworth

OL: Willie Anderson, Max Montoya, Dave Lapham

DL/LB: Tim Krumrie, Reggie Williams

CB/S: Ken Riley, Lemar Parrish, David Fulcher

The positions with one nominee:

TE: Bob Trumpy

PK: Jim Breech

So instead of comparing seventeen nominees, it really boils down to eight .... or nine if your #1 overall pick is from a position that has a #2.

To further infuriate folks, here's my personal list:

Class of 2021:  QB Ken Anderson + CB/S Ken Riley  (alphabetically, not gonna rank them against each other)

From the other fifteen:

1 - WR Isaac Curtis

2 - OL Willie Anderson

3 - DL/LB Tim Krumrie

4 - OL Max Montoya

5 - QB Boomer Esiason

6 - RB Corey Dillon

7a/b - WR Chad Johnson + WR Cris Collinsworth (I keep flip-flopping on these two, so I'd put them in together)

9 - CB/S Lemar Parrish

10 - PK Jim Breech

11a/b/c - RB James Brooks, CB/S David Fulcher, DL/LB Reggie Williams (in any order, its all good)

14 - TE Bob Trumpy

15 - OL Dave Lapham

• 5 weeks later...

BTW - I have nothing but a hunch to go on, but my guess is that the ceremony will be on 9/30, the week 4 game against Jacksonville.

Its a Thursday Night, and therefore the earliest "national" game, which the Stripes could leverage off of to help garner HOF support for whomever (cough..Ken Anderson Ken Riley... cough) gets honored.  Heck, the whole broadcast could feature Bengal historical greats during the cutaways to commercial breaks if the league got behind it.   The only other logical choices would be opening week (but we play the Vikings, nobody will be watching) or the Browns (but thats in week 9, much too late IMO for an honor thats supposed to be season-long).  And with our home schedule being backloaded, it really seems to me like Week 4 is optimal.

My .02

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/5/2021 at 11:39 PM, AmishBengalFan said:

BTW - I have nothing but a hunch to go on, but my guess is that the ceremony will be on 9/30, the week 4 game against Jacksonville.

Its a Thursday Night, and therefore the earliest "national" game, which the Stripes could leverage off of to help garner HOF support for whomever (cough..Ken Anderson Ken Riley... cough) gets honored.  Heck, the whole broadcast could feature Bengal historical greats during the cutaways to commercial breaks if the league got behind it.   The only other logical choices would be opening week (but we play the Vikings, nobody will be watching) or the Browns (but thats in week 9, much too late IMO for an honor thats supposed to be season-long).  And with our home schedule being backloaded, it really seems to me like Week 4 is optimal.

My .02

good call

On 5/6/2021 at 12:15 PM, AmishBengalFan said:

Can we at least start by ranking ballot players from the same position?  If there's a "best" player at that position, the "next best" player shouldn't be considered until the "best" player is.

Here are the position with multiple nominees, and I've listed them in the order I would take them in:

QB:  Ken Anderson, Boomer Esiason

RB:  Corey Dillon, James Brooks

WR: Isaac Curtis, Chad Johnson, Cris Collinsworth

OL: Willie Anderson, Max Montoya, Dave Lapham

DL/LB: Tim Krumrie, Reggie Williams

CB/S: Ken Riley, Lemar Parrish, David Fulcher

The positions with one nominee:

TE: Bob Trumpy

PK: Jim Breech

So instead of comparing seventeen nominees, it really boils down to eight .... or nine if your #1 overall pick is from a position that has a #2.

I would probably put Dan Ross behind Trumpy and I think Mike Nugent was a better kicker then Breech as he did kick offs too to boot, then I hate to say it, but then add Graham as he was our most accurate percentage wise kicker.  I hate to say his name because I never liked him because of all of his shanks. Yikes! 

Archived