Bengals putting up a Ring of Honor? Yes! It's now official!

5 hours ago, Hooky said:

Not really. There were plenty of miserable seasons during the Paul Brown era. And as many Super Bowl wins.

A few.  Mainly the Tiger Johnson and Homer Rice years.  The team was good, just not good enough to beat the Stealers in the 70s.  At no point were they consistently bad and a considered a joke by most that follow football like they have been under Mike Brown.  They played in two Super Bowls and actually won playoff games.  You can bullshit about this if you want, but the Bengals were a decent franchise under PB.  That left when he died.  We can only hope it returns sometime soon.  Today was a nice step forward. 

On 9/26/2021 at 4:29 PM, UncleEarl said:

A few.  Mainly the Tiger Johnson and Homer Rice years.  The team was good, just not good enough to beat the Stealers in the 70s.  At no point were they consistently bad and a considered a joke by most that follow football like they have been under Mike Brown.  They played in two Super Bowls and actually won playoff games.  You can bullshit about this if you want, but the Bengals were a decent franchise under PB.  That left when he died.  We can only hope it returns sometime soon.  Today was a nice step forward. 

The bengals under Paul Brown were an afterthought. I remember being all excited before the first Super Bowl because the sports media was actually talking about them.  They had the same number of playoff seasons in 20+ years under him as they have had in the last 20 years. They only won one playoff game outside the Super bowl years. 5 playoff wins in 20+ years is decent?

Paul Brown is a legend and obviously deserves to be in the ring for starting the club, but if you are using better than Mike Brown as the barometer of a successful team, then, yes, he had great success. But compared to the rest of the league, not so good.

And Tiger Johnson had a winning record in his two full seasons before starting 0-5 in the thitd and getting canned. But yes, Homer Rice was awful.

3 hours ago, Hooky said:

The bengals under Paul Brown were an afterthought. I remember being all excited before the first Super Bowl because the sports media was actually talking about them.  They had the same number of playoff seasons in 20+ years under him as they have had in the last 20 years. They only won one playoff game outside the Super bowl years. 5 playoff wins in 20+ years is decent?

Paul Brown is a legend and obviously deserves to be in the ring for starting the club, but if you are using better than Mike Brown as the barometer of a successful team, then, yes, he had great success. But compared to the rest of the league, not so good.

And Tiger Johnson had a winning record in his two full seasons before starting 0-5 in the thitd and getting canned. But yes, Homer Rice was awful.

The quote from Ken Anderson was about the franchise being "stable" franchise.  Not elite, great, successful or anything like that.  The Bengals were a stable franchise.  You are moving the goalposts here.  And, yes...how that has changed under Mike Brown.

On 9/29/2021 at 10:48 AM, UncleEarl said:

The quote from Ken Anderson was about the franchise being "stable" franchise.  Not elite, great, successful or anything like that.  The Bengals were a stable franchise.  You are moving the goalposts here.  And, yes...how that has changed under Mike Brown.

My point was if you throw out the nineties and look at the most recent 20 years, there's not much difference compared to the Paul Brown years. The same number of competitive seasons as far as playoffs go. No playoff wins, but how many NFL teams have gone to the playoffs 5 straight years? You can hate Mike Brown all you want, but I'm not sure how the playoff losses are his fault. 

1 hour ago, Hooky said:

My point was if you throw out the nineties and look at the most recent 20 years, there's not much difference compared to the Paul Brown years. The same number of competitive seasons as far as playoffs go. No playoff wins, but how many NFL teams have gone to the playoffs 5 straight years? You can hate Mike Brown all you want, but I'm not sure how the playoff losses are his fault. 

The Marvin years were similar, but that ignores the 90s and the current situation.  Hopefully they have turned the corner.

Paul Brown was also the GM that put together the team from the 80s. Deserves credit for that. 

Archived