Bengals putting up a Ring of Honor? Yes! It's now official!

5 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

This only 2 players a year is stupid, it drags out something that should have beed done years ago. 

Hopefully no more great former players have to die before they get their flowers.

Fair point, but you also don't want it to devolve into a situation where guys are getting in that shouldn't be there.  The mistake is waiting this long to create the honor.

1 hour ago, PatternMaster said:

This only 2 players a year is stupid, it drags out something that should have beed done years ago. 

Hopefully no more great former players have to die before they get their flowers.

It's actually 4 players a year, with only 2 this year being voted on by season ticket holders.

1 hour ago, PatternMaster said:

My guess is the first couple of years they will do 3 to 4 a year and then pare it back after that. 

Er, I don't think Paul Brown deserves it for his accomplishments with the Bengals. He's certainly a Hall of Famer for what he did with the Browns. But being the first coach and team founder isn't in itself deserving of the ring of honor. If his son didn't own the team, he wouldn't have made it.

On 7/23/2021 at 12:38 PM, sparky151 said:

Er, I don't think Paul Brown deserves it for his accomplishments with the Bengals. He's certainly a Hall of Famer for what he did with the Browns. But being the first coach and team founder isn't in itself deserving of the ring of honor. If his son didn't own the team, he wouldn't have made it.

At the time they did it the Bengals were the youngest expansion team to ever make the playoffs.

20 hours ago, Jason said:

At the time they did it the Bengals were the youngest expansion team to ever make the playoffs.

And if he'd founded a dynasty in Cincinnati (on the field, that is) I'd feel differently. But just making the playoffs isn't that great an achievement. I'd say Forrest Gregg and Sam will get in the Bengals RoH before Marvin. But they both ought to be behind a lot of players. And Mike Brown should never even be considered. 

On 7/25/2021 at 11:15 AM, sparky151 said:

And if he'd founded a dynasty in Cincinnati (on the field, that is) I'd feel differently. But just making the playoffs isn't that great an achievement. I'd say Forrest Gregg and Sam will get in the Bengals RoH before Marvin. But they both ought to be behind a lot of players. And Mike Brown should never even be considered. 

🤣🤣🤣🤣

On 7/25/2021 at 11:15 AM, sparky151 said:

-1 for using the term "RoH" and "Marvin" in the same sentence.

• 1 month later...

The Athletic has been running a piece over the last few weeks - the 100 best NFL players of all time.

They had John Hannah in the 20"s (cant recall which spot exactly) and in his piece they called him the greatest OL ever - so i thought they had totally dissed Munoz. But he showed up today at #12 on the greatest of all time!

https://theathletic.com/2786115/2021/08/28/nfl-100-at-no-12-anthony-munozs-greatness-only-continued-after-his-bengals-career/

I can post the whole article if anyone wants it

• 4 weeks later...

Archived