Burrow, Mike Brown and Team Spending

Burrow is the future and I'm a die hard Bengal fan but if he was on any other team. His chances of reaching a Super bowl are far greater. Our franchise history just keeps repeating itself. Taylor is learning to become a head coach. The front office is trying to surround themselves with good free agents. The only issue is Brown! You all have heard the same old thing about him and his spending. We saw a glimpse of hope last yr in FA but couldn't help the inj bug (I'll touch base on that later). Brown is the type of OWNER who thinks he's done enough last yr and look what that got him. So not sure on the whole spending spree in FA this year. Tobin loves to build from the draft and underpay his players. As you can see we let go Steinbach, Zeitler and big Whit. Yes, the news everywhere is correct about how they view G in terms of payment. They allocate 16.74% towards their OL in their total cap. Only allowing 3-4 players the avg of $3M and above salaries (HART??). Paying T and C the higher amounts. They don't recognize G's simply put because Brown will not meet his own criteria TO MAKE MONEY. He cuts players pay scales to simply stay afloat. The other big contributing factor with the Bengals are their training staff and scouting personnel. Simply put...they don't have any personnel. They have 4 Athletic Training staff for all issues. Their scouting personnel consist of 2 actual Scouts that report to 3 heads. They reach out to former coaches and players for their personal opinions on players as well as the city. I'm all for including your fans and former players but get real here. You need to pay for a great training staff that can keep these players on the field and proper scouts able to do REAL WORK. Mike Brown has allowed his daughter Katie Blackburn to over see operations but can't keep out. Obviously, I have no idea what goes on behind those manager doors but looking outside in...NOT THAT HARD TO FIGURE OUT! OK, I'm done with my rant. Brown, update your training staff. Update your scouting personnel to league average or above and reconfigure your spending % per position. Wouldn't it be nice to win a playoff game for a change and not have to cut player spending just to be able to have cap space the following season?????? WINNING = MORE REVENUE TO SPEND WHERE IT NEEDS TO BE. (PLAYERS, COACHES, TRAINING STAFF, SCOUTING, STADIUM AND FAN EXPERIENCE)

1 hour ago, Doug said:

Burrow is the future and I'm a die hard Bengal fan but if he was on any other team. His chances of reaching a Super bowl are far greater. Our franchise history just keeps repeating itself. Taylor is learning to become a head coach. The front office is trying to surround themselves with good free agents. The only issue is Brown! You all have heard the same old thing about him and his spending. We saw a glimpse of hope last yr in FA but couldn't help the inj bug (I'll touch base on that later). Brown is the type of OWNER who thinks he's done enough last yr and look what that got him. So not sure on the whole spending spree in FA this year. Tobin loves to build from the draft and underpay his players. As you can see we let go Steinbach, Zeitler and big Whit. Yes, the news everywhere is correct about how they view G in terms of payment. They allocate 16.74% towards their OL in their total cap. Only allowing 3-4 players the avg of $3M and above salaries (HART??). Paying T and C the higher amounts. They don't recognize G's simply put because Brown will not meet his own criteria TO MAKE MONEY. He cuts players pay scales to simply stay afloat. The other big contributing factor with the Bengals are their training staff and scouting personnel. Simply put...they don't have any personnel. They have 4 Athletic Training staff for all issues. Their scouting personnel consist of 2 actual Scouts that report to 3 heads. They reach out to former coaches and players for their personal opinions on players as well as the city. I'm all for including your fans and former players but get real here. You need to pay for a great training staff that can keep these players on the field and proper scouts able to do REAL WORK. Mike Brown has allowed his daughter Katie Blackburn to over see operations but can't keep out. Obviously, I have no idea what goes on behind those manager doors but looking outside in...NOT THAT HARD TO FIGURE OUT! OK, I'm done with my rant. Brown, update your training staff. Update your scouting personnel to league average or above and reconfigure your spending % per position. Wouldn't it be nice to win a playoff game for a change and not have to cut player spending just to be able to have cap space the following season?????? WINNING = MORE REVENUE TO SPEND WHERE IT NEEDS TO BE. (PLAYERS, COACHES, TRAINING STAFF, SCOUTING, STADIUM AND FAN EXPERIENCE)

...paragraphs are your friend...

35 minutes ago, Doug said:

I was listening to a podcast a few weeks back (and can't find it now for reference) and a phycologist was talking about why people say they want certain things (goals) but never attain them. Premise was - people see a goal and want the goal because they know they will derive pleasure from it. However, in order for them to reach the goal they know they have to take a certain journey and if the journey itself is not pleasurable, then they simply won't do it. One example is weight loss and getting in shape. Someone wants to lose 30 pounds and get a set of abs. They know very well that this means they will have to go to the gym every day and eat a certain diet and weigh their food, etc. They know exactly what it will take - but if those steps are not 'enjoyable', the person simply will not do it. Another example is an elite athlete - they know what it will take to get to the elite level and they have no issue doing the required things, in fact they seem to be driven by the steps themselves. Others, despite all their natural gifts, can't get through the journey, the steps so they never get to the elite status. 

So that got me thinking about old Musty, Mike Brown. He KNOWS very well what he would have to do in his organization to build a consistently winning team. He knows other good teams have more scouts and bigger organizations. He knows he would have to invest monies up front, give up annual income for a time to gain a better team and then gain franchise value - but he won't take the journey. I think it would eat at him to do that, so as much as he 'wants' to win, he does not want the go through the steps needed to get there even though he knows that is the only path to that end goal. He will grab the bag of chips before he goes to the gym and weighs his food. 

On 2/12/2021 at 10:16 AM, Jason said:

What were the Colts before Manning or the Saints before Brees. Burrow is a franchise changing QB. 

The Saints became respectable once Tom Benson bought the team.  They became very good once Peyton became the coach.  

The Colts played in the AFC championship 2 years before Manning arrived. 

Certainly Brees and Manning elevated both teams higher. I don’t know if the pieces are in place for Burrow to achieve that kind of success. 

Archived