2021 Draft/OTA's/Training Camp/Season Covid-19

15 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

The EEOC has opined that vaccination requirement can be a condition of employment. Would guess pro athletes are considered “employees”? 

But they have a collective bargaining agreement, so the league can't require anything without clearing it with the union.

3 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

But they have a collective bargaining agreement, so the league can't require anything without clearing it with the union.

That is true. It is a complicated issue as to mandated vaccinations. There will be any number of challenges on the employment and union contract fronts in all business. 

The EEOC’s opinions on the subject were to the effect that there would be no direct violation of civil rights if an employer were to mandate it for the whole of operations. And, of course, theirs is opinion, and not law.

1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

That is true. It is a complicated issue as to mandated vaccinations. There will be any number of challenges on the employment and union contract fronts in all business. 

The EEOC’s opinions on the subject were to the effect that there would be no direct violation of civil rights if an employer were to mandate it for the whole of operations. And, of course, theirs is opinion, and not law.

Other vaccines have been required by employers for a while.  Why is this one so special?

3 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Just an FYI, no companies can require any vaccines (of any kind) in Canada  or schools for that matter

So folks working in hospitals aren't required to be vaccinated, or is this one of those the government can, but companies cannot?

26 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

So folks working in hospitals aren't required to be vaccinated, or is this one of those the government can, but companies cannot?

Asking or demanding or requiring vaccine information from any individual in any situation is considered against the law - this is across the board, government or private companies. Canada has a very serious Personal Information Act - can't ask about medications, medical conditions, handicaps, sex, religion, race, etc. And this same information cannot be used to dismiss an employee. 

This vaccine is no different than the annual flu vaccine, or whooping cough, etc. No requirement to have it (most do). 

In this respect, Canada is very 'free' country in terms of we can each do as we please with no consequences to employment, etc. 

26 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Asking or demanding or requiring vaccine information from any individual in any situation is considered against the law - this is across the board, government or private companies. Canada has a very serious Personal Information Act - can't ask about medications, medical conditions, handicaps, sex, religion, race, etc. And this same information cannot be used to dismiss an employee. 

This vaccine is no different than the annual flu vaccine, or whooping cough, etc. No requirement to have it (most do). 

In this respect, Canada is very 'free' country in terms of we can each do as we please with no consequences to employment, etc. 

Found that interesting so I looked into it.  It doesn't appear as cut and dried as you think.  https://www.canadianlawyermag.com/practice-areas/labour-and-employment/mandatory-vaccination-for-healthcare-workers-could-survive-charter-challenge-medical-journal-report/337684

4 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

Other vaccines have been required by employers for a while.  Why is this one so special?

It really should not be. As you say accurately, certain employers—such as in the medical industry—have mandated employees to get annual flu shots. One example of course, and plenty of exceptions to the mandate. 

Where this one could have issues, is that it may become mandated across the entire employment board. Whether a hospital worker, a construction worker, or an NFL player—no difference. Then it possibly could be a constitutional rights question. But, as I said, the EEOC—a federal watchdog on employment rights—don’t seem to think mandating is a problem. I suppose only legal test cases will clear all of this up. Maybe. 

5 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

In my work I deal with some pretty high end HR lawyers and they all have advised that our individual rights will hold. It has had many tests already in court and has held with ease. 

3 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Ah yes the 500K+ dead including one of our former posters, and it's all a conspiracy crowd.

Who said it was a conspiracy?

There wasn't much attendance at NFL games last year and it was spaced out. Your average Walmart Supercenter has a lot more people pass through in a week than were at an NFL game.

3 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Noone said covid is a conspiracy but you just now..

If you think huge profits dont play a part then fine..

I think any company that found the cure was going to make money, it's a byproduct, not the driving force.

Of course proper funding of NIH and other government based research facilities might not create that bug, because right now under our "corporations are people my friend" society and "omg de socalimzzzz" populace prevent things like that.

But I digress......

Archived