2021 Free Agents Full List and Tracker

We will find out soon enough how committed this team is to building off the OL/DL. The draft wont fix the OL with any urgency and given our OL drafting track record one could argue we may never fix it that way.  Even though this team has cap space, the revenues for all teams are well down and no doubt most teams will be "Bengal like" in how thye approach this season. 

Once FA wave 1 settles out, we will have a better idea. Problem with using just the draft for the OL is there is no guarantee Sewell is there at #5 and no guarantee we could trade back from there either. So this team NEEDS to address the OL in FA wave 1. That is the first and only priority at the early stages of the new season. 

lots of teams will use COVID as an excuse to get their books straightened out. Especially if they feel the league will follow suit. Then they will upgrade or steady-state a bunch of positions at lower cost. They keep essentially the same talent level but at a big savings. A whole bunch of vets are going to be very unhappy about their new perceived  value.  Meritocracy at it's finest.

4 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

We will find out soon enough how committed this team is to building off the OL/DL. The draft wont fix the OL with any urgency and given our OL drafting track record one could argue we may never fix it that way.  Even though this team has cap space, the revenues for all teams are well down and no doubt most teams will be "Bengal like" in how thye approach this season. 

Once FA wave 1 settles out, we will have a better idea. Problem with using just the draft for the OL is there is no guarantee Sewell is there at #5 and no guarantee we could trade back from there either. So this team NEEDS to address the OL in FA wave 1. That is the first and only priority at the early stages of the new season. 

if ever there was an off season to spend near top and mid tier monies, this is it.  Elite players will be the outliers. 

13 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

if ever there was an off season to spend near top and mid tier monies, this is it.  Elite players will be the outliers. 

I think our strategy of waiting might make a lot of sense this year. If we wait a week and then are willing to pay a little extra we might get guys who are still looking around. 

24 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

If we wait a week, we'll miss the better players who attract multiple offers. So no Thuney, Trent Williams, Taylor Moton, etc. Likely lose Lawson and Jackson too.

Sorry... I meant Sign a couple big name guys then wait....wasn't clear on that at all. 

16 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

If we wait a week, we'll miss the better players who attract multiple offers. So no Thuney, Trent Williams, Taylor Moton, etc. Likely lose Lawson and Jackson too.

Hard to tell, there are not many teams with cap space and we dont know what next years cap is so that just deflates the field so to speak. We saw it in the NHL this past offseason - a few elite FA's got paid but the 'good' ones and the 'average' ones got hammered, most took very short contracts at lower than previous market. 

Not to mention, are the teams with cap space now teams that normally jump in FA on day 1? 

I would tag Lawson and tell Jackson we would be happy to see how the market fares for him and keep discussions going. I am not convinced Jackson gets a high end deal in this market. And I would target 1 OL early in free agency that is high end and then wait for wave 2 on the rest of the OL and other positions.

Not that this team has any long term strategy, but they could NOT BE BETTER set up for moving up the food chain for the longer term (ignoring need for more scouting and better coaching). You have a franchise QB on a cheap contract and by the time he needs a new deal the cap will likely be back on the upswing. You have cap space when most teams do not so you can land some significant short term deals for good players, which provides the opportunity for short term success until you can draft better and fill the roster that way again. And the Bengal business model and how they manage the cap is actually competitive in a flat or lower cap environment. 

2 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Hard to tell, there are not many teams with cap space and we dont know what next years cap is so that just deflates the field so to speak. We saw it in the NHL this past offseason - a few elite FA's got paid but the 'good' ones and the 'average' ones got hammered, most took very short contracts at lower than previous market. 

Not to mention, are the teams with cap space now teams that normally jump in FA on day 1? 

I would tag Lawson and tell Jackson we would be happy to see how the market fares for him and keep discussions going. I am not convinced Jackson gets a high end deal in this market. And I would target 1 OL early in free agency that is high end and then wait for wave 2 on the rest of the OL and other positions.

Not that this team has any long term strategy, but they could NOT BE BETTER set up for moving up the food chain for the longer term (ignoring need for more scouting and better coaching). You have a franchise QB on a cheap contract and by the time he needs a new deal the cap will likely be back on the upswing. You have cap space when most teams do not so you can land some significant short term deals for good players, which provides the opportunity for short term success until you can draft better and fill the roster that way again. And the Bengal business model and how they manage the cap is actually competitive in a flat or lower cap environment. 

Spot on ...

On 3/3/2021 at 1:08 PM, sparky151 said:

Rudolph would be a big improvement over a healthy Uzomah, let alone CJ in his current condition. He's from Cincinnati and isn't going to ask for his inflated Vikings salary. He may go to Cleveland to play for Stefanski.

How many TEs do the Browns need??

They have 3 decent ones now..

Thed be more inclined to go after WJIII to pair with Denzel Ward or Lawson to pair with Myles Garrett.

Franchise Lawson and make a proposal to Jacksons agent now..

47 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

The Athletic has WJ III as the top CB free agent

Every team  wants a good corner and pass rusher to add to their defense..

May be tough keeping both of them...

Theres also Bates massive contract to add unless theyre letting him play out his rook contract...

Here is where I have landed

Red-IR 2020

Blue-Re-signed UFA

Green-Re-signed RFA

Fluorescent Blue-Draft Pick

Fluorescent Green-FA Signing

Gray-Futures contract

Pink-Opt Out

QB

Josh Dobbs-Signed at the league minimum with a chance to compete with Allen as the primary backup. I have always loved Dobbs. He is brilliant with a cannon for an arm and can run. 

QB Burrow 25 Allen 21 Dobbs Shurmur

RB

Samaje Perrine-Flashed big play at the end of the year when given a chance. I would bring him back as the third back. 

Draft a RB in the 6th or 7th to compete at the end of the roster. I like Jaret Patterson a lot

RB Mixon 25 Bernard 22 Perine 21 Williams 23 Patterson 6 Patrick

WR

I think this piece can be filled with 3 second level guys instead of a star and that's the area I went. I let everyone walk who was a free agent and then added Chris Conley-Kenny Stills (played for Taylor) and Dazz Newsome

WR Higgins 24 Tate 22 Morgan 21 UDFA
WR Conley Stills Irwin UDFA
WR Boyd 24 Newsome 5 Washington

TE

Here I would add the recently released Kyle Rudolph as a 3rd TE assuming he doesn't have a robust market. If so I would just draft a late Rd TE

TE Uzomah 22 Sample 23 Rudolph Carter 21 Schrek 21 Wilcox

OL

Here I targeted 2 guys that I think make a lot of sense. Joe Thuney and Larry Warford. Thuney is a local guy we can break the bank for. Warford was out of football last year but could solidfy the RG spot. Then I added Sewell in RD 1. 

LT Williams 24 Adeniji 24 UDFA
LG Thuney Jordan 23 Sutherland 21
C Hopkins 23 Price 22 Redmond 21
RG Warford Su'a-Filo 23 UDFA
RT Sewell 1 Johnson 22 Prince 24

ST

Added Zane Gonazelez here to compete with Seibert

K Seibert 23 Gonzalez
P Huber 21  
LS Harris 22 Godsil

DL

Lots added here. First the 2 highest graded free agents at both DT and DE in Tyson Alualu and Mario Edwards (Played for Anarumo NYG). Then drafted Basham in the 2nd and Nixon in the 3rd. Brought back Hunt, Daniels and Lawson

LE Hubbard 22 Kareem 24 Bledsoe 22 Akinmoladun
LT Reader 24 Tupou 22 Wren 23 McKenzie
RT Alualu Nixon 3 Hunt 21 Daniels 21
RE Lawson 21 Basham 2 Edwards  

LB

Added Anthony Chickilo and Vince Biegel here. Biegel can play all over and played for Hobby. Chickillo played for Golden at U of M.

SLB Davis-Gaither 24 Biegel Chickilo
MLB Wilson 24 Bynes 21 Jones
WLB Pratt 23 Bailey 24 UDFA

S

Added Mathias Farley who played for Jackson with Jets. Also added a late pick and brought Wilson back

S Bell 23 Farley RD 7
S Bates 22 Wilson 21 Henderson

CB

Added Brian Poole as the Nickel Corner as our 3rd biggest FA addition. Let Phillips start. Also added a 4th round corner and Tankersley who played for Hobby and Anarumo

CB Waynes 23 Joseph 4 McTyer Rose
CB Phillips 22 Tankersley Davis 22  
CB Poole Brown 21 Lewis  

2 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

Here is where I have landed

Red-IR 2020

Blue-Re-signed UFA

Green-Re-signed RFA

Fluorescent Blue-Draft Pick

Fluorescent Green-FA Signing

Gray-Futures contract

Pink-Opt Out

QB

Josh Dobbs-Signed at the league minimum with a chance to compete with Allen as the primary backup. I have always loved Dobbs. He is brilliant with a cannon for an arm and can run. 

QB Burrow 25 Allen 21 Dobbs Shurmur

RB

Samaje Perrine-Flashed big play at the end of the year when given a chance. I would bring him back as the third back. 

Draft a RB in the 6th or 7th to compete at the end of the roster. I like Jaret Patterson a lot

RB Mixon 25 Bernard 22 Perine 21 Williams 23 Patterson 6 Patrick

WR

I think this piece can be filled with 3 second level guys instead of a star and that's the area I went. I let everyone walk who was a free agent and then added Chris Conley-Kenny Stills (played for Taylor) and Dazz Newsome

WR Higgins 24 Tate 22 Morgan 21 UDFA
WR Conley Stills Irwin UDFA
WR Boyd 24 Newsome 5 Washington

TE

Here I would add the recently released Kyle Rudolph as a 3rd TE assuming he doesn't have a robust market. If so I would just draft a late Rd TE

TE Uzomah 22 Sample 23 Rudolph Carter 21 Schrek 21 Wilcox

OL

Here I targeted 2 guys that I think make a lot of sense. Joe Thuney and Larry Warford. Thuney is a local guy we can break the bank for. Warford was out of football last year but could solidfy the RG spot. Then I added Sewell in RD 1. 

LT Williams 24 Adeniji 24 UDFA
LG Thuney Jordan 23 Sutherland 21
C Hopkins 23 Price 22 Redmond 21
RG Warford Su'a-Filo 23 UDFA
RT Sewell 1 Johnson 22 Prince 24

ST

Added Zane Gonazelez here to compete with Seibert

K Seibert 23 Gonzalez
P Huber 21  
LS Harris 22 Godsil

DL

Lots added here. First the 2 highest graded free agents at both DT and DE in Tyson Alualu and Mario Edwards (Played for Anarumo NYG). Then drafted Basham in the 2nd and Nixon in the 3rd. Brought back Hunt, Daniels and Lawson

LE Hubbard 22 Kareem 24 Bledsoe 22 Akinmoladun
LT Reader 24 Tupou 22 Wren 23 McKenzie
RT Alualu Nixon 3 Hunt 21 Daniels 21
RE Lawson 21 Basham 2 Edwards  

LB

Added Anthony Chickilo and Vince Biegel here. Biegel can play all over and played for Hobby. Chickillo played for Golden at U of M.

SLB Davis-Gaither 24 Biegel Chickilo
MLB Wilson 24 Bynes 21 Jones
WLB Pratt 23 Bailey 24 UDFA

S

Added Mathias Farley who played for Jackson with Jets. Also added a late pick and brought Wilson back

S Bell 23 Farley RD 7
S Bates 22 Wilson 21 Henderson

CB

Added Brian Poole as the Nickel Corner as our 3rd biggest FA addition. Let Phillips start. Also added a 4th round corner and Tankersley who played for Hobby and Anarumo

CB Waynes 23 Joseph 4 McTyer Rose
CB Phillips 22 Tankersley Davis 22  
CB Poole Brown 21 Lewis  

I like the idea of WR Josh Reynolds signing here..

Id cut Gio and let Williams take over

his role..

Your Oline would be outstanding!

I don't agree with either of those takes. he's not going to come and lay out their approach with specificity. Come on now. Dehner's piece on this is pretty damn good. If you get the Athletic, it's here:

https://theathletic.com/2435534/2021/03/08/deconstructing-duke-tobins-quotes-on-bengals-roster-joe-burrow-zac-taylor/

Here's a taste:

Tobin on assessing his roster

Tobin:

When I look at our team, I’m excited. I think we’ve got one of the premier, best young quarterbacks in the game, and we’re going to do everything we can to build around him and give him the opportunity to really shine and show what he can do. And so it’s going to start with him. And then beyond him, I think we’ve got a good receiving corps. I think we’ve got a young, exciting receiver. I think we’ve got a consistent, proven veteran in Tyler Boyd. It’d be good, it’s going to be great, to have Joe Mixon back in the lineup. You know, I think we’ve got a good tight end group that, you know, once it’s healthy again, it’s really every position was hit by the injury bug. So it’ll be good to get a lot of these guys back. Defensively, it’ll be great to see Trae Waynes on the field there. You know, we haven’t gotten that yet. D.J. Reader coming back off of injury, that’s something to build around. We really like our young linebacking corps. I think it’s really going to come into its own in the second year. I think we’ve got a great safety tandem that I’m excited with, and we’ve got to fill in some spots, for sure. But I see a lot to get excited about. And it’s No. 1, seeing the guys that didn’t get to play much actually get on the field and produce at the level that we know that can produce.

Deconstructed (Dehner's take):

Two important facts stand out here in talking about the roster. They aren’t secrets, but considering what went down last offseason with the offensive line, they’re meaningful. Tobin opened with Burrow, offering the expected effusive praise, but followed with: “(W)e’re going to do everything we can to build around him and give him the opportunity to really shine and show what he can do. And so it’s going to start with him.” For those screaming about prioritizing the offense over the defense, perhaps this was the most significant clue in the direction the team is leaning. (It’s also the correct one, from my seat.) Start all endeavors with building around the quarterback and start filling in the rest from there. What does that mean in actual practice?

Well, then, there’s the second part. Tobin went through all the reasons he’s excited about the roster, and outside of getting Reader back, nobody in the trenches entered the conversation. It’s no secret, but finding offensive line help — and not leaving it to chance in the NFL Draft and subject to growing pains — sure would check both boxes off this evaluation of needs. Yes, Tobin sounds anxious to work in free agency, but he also sounds like somebody interested in knowing the current crop of offensive line candidates isn’t it. That would be an important deviation from last year, when Tobin and everyone inside the organization kept telling us over and over again they were comfortable with their offensive line.

2 hours ago, Jason said:

Seattle releasing Carlos Dunlap per Schefter. 

Not surprising. I thought at the time of the trade that it was a rental deal. Despite how much praise Seattle had for Dunlap, no way were they going to keep him on that contract. The Bengals would have cut him at the end of the year too

Archived