2021 Free Agents Full List and Tracker

While Jackson's gripe is pretty weak and perhaps not a great reflection on his mental fortitude, I also think he is right -- at least when it comes to the fanbase.

We can mock him all we like, but this fanbase is absolutely a part of the losing culture. It probably didn't mean much in 2020 with empty stands, but it meant something before that and will mean something again. Nothing is more embarrassing to me about the Cincinnati Bengals than the people that populate the PBS seats.

32 minutes ago, OU_Stripes said:

While Jackson's gripe is pretty weak and perhaps not a great reflection on his mental fortitude, I also think he is right -- at least when it comes to the fanbase.

We can mock him all we like, but this fanbase is absolutely a part of the losing culture. It probably didn't mean much in 2020 with empty stands, but it meant something before that and will mean something again. Nothing is more embarrassing to me about the Cincinnati Bengals than the people that populate the PBS seats.

I think the tough spot fans of losing teams find themselves in is - if they all 'boycott' so to speak, there is a real threat of the team just moving or in the cases of teams in other leagues (or like minor league baseball) they fold. Some fans make the decision to support the team and not the owner. Much the same way a lot of people say you can support the troops and not support the mission. 

And speaking of Jackson's - apparently Hue is writing a book about his time as HC for the Browns. Pat Kiran's comment - 'that is a mistake if you ever want to work in this league again" LOL

3 hours ago, OU_Stripes said:

I don't think Jackson's comment about "they wonder why they don't win" was about the fans, but I can see how you could read it as such. 

Rust Belt towns like Cincinnati, Detroit, Cleveland, and the worst...Buffalo...have more than their share of drunk, angry fans.  Many seem to take it as a badge of honor that they support a losing team.  When the game goes south, or anything goes south, they get belligerent and even violent.  Buffalo fans are by far the example, but it's spreading to other economically depressed cities with losing franchises.

7 hours ago, OU_Stripes said:

They haven’t won a playoff game in 30 years, the fans have every right to be pissed off.  

55 minutes ago, SF2 said:

They haven’t won a playoff game in 30 years, the fans have every right to be pissed off.  

I don’t know about you but I know for a fact that I could’ve knocked Bell out of bounds from where Jackson was standing as he let him run by....Mind you, I’m just Joe F. Fan, but I guarantee ya it would have been a Terry Tate moment. Glorious comes to mind. 

9 minutes ago, spicoli said:

I don’t know about you but I know for a fact that I could’ve knocked Bell out of bounds from where Jackson was standing as he let him run by....Mind you, I’m just Joe F. Fan, but I guarantee ya it would have been a Terry Tate moment. Glorious comes to mind. 

LOL, he actually thinks Washington fans will be better than Cincy fans? They have won two wildcard games in 30 years.  

4 hours ago, BengalFanInTO said:

I think WJIII will thrive in Washington. With that potent pass rush he will be able to drop more INTs this season than he has in his entire career! 

Agree.

He will truly flourish there as a bump-and-run corner.

He will bump into them and they will keep running.

Hope he, like Overshoot Lawson, gets us a nice comp pick next year.

5 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

Agree.

He will truly flourish there as a bump-and-run corner.

He will bump into them and they will keep running.

Hope he, like Overshoot Lawson, gets us a nice comp pick next year.

Looks like 2 3rd comps right now..

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

"Pissed off" isn't the problem. Fans of every team are "pissed off".

Bengals fans are too often self-loathing cowards that, at the first sign of trouble, throw in the towel and pity themselves. It's pathetic.

3 minutes ago, OU_Stripes said:

Bengals fans are too often self-loathing cowards that, at the first sign of trouble, throw in the towel and pity themselves. It's pathetic.

Self loathing cowards?

Your talking Steeler fans you just dont know it..

38 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Looks like 2 3rd comps right now..

So far, how many QUALIFYING free agents have we signed vs. how many have we lost?

[Note: Not all free agents qualify when determining compensatory draft picks.]

Just now, Cricket said:

So far, how many QUALIFYING free agents have we signed vs. how many have we lost?

[Note: Not all free agents qualify when determining compensatory draft picks.]

Four maybe..

Hendrickson

Reiff

Hilton

Ogunjobi..

Yeah looks like are comps will be eaten by these acquisitions..

Damn.

42 minutes ago, OU_Stripes said:

LOL, the fans don’t play the game,  how can they possibly throw in the towel?  

3 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Four maybe..

Hendrickson

Reiff

Hilton

Ogunjobi..

Yeah looks like are comps will be eaten by these acquisitions..

Damn.

Who have we lost?

im thinking that AJ Green might not qualify due to his number of years in the league ( I can’t recall the details and am too lazy to look it up.)

Alex Ericsson 

Bobby Hart

WJIII

Shawn Williams

Fat Randy

Carl Lawson

Cethan Carter

John Ross

Mackensie Alexander

BJ Finney

19 minutes ago, Cricket said:

Who have we lost?

im thinking that AJ Green might not qualify due to his number of years in the league ( I can’t recall the details and am too lazy to look it up.)

Alex Ericsson 

Bobby Hart

WJIII

Shawn Williams

Fat Randy

Carl Lawson

Cethan Carter

John Ross

Mackensie Alexander

BJ Finney

WJlll...Lawson..

Maybe Alexander...

I dont profess to know the comp requirements to actually know how its determined.

3 hours ago, Cricket said:

Who have we lost?

Alex Ericsson 

Bobby Hart

WJIII

Shawn Williams

Fat Randy

Carl Lawson

Cethan Carter

John Ross

Mackensie Alexander

BJ Finney

We cut Finney and Hart so they won't gain comp picks for us. Green might fall under the so called Faneca rule that would cap his pick at 5th round due to age. I saw elsewhere that Lawson might only be worth a 4th due to his average playing time being low. 

The way it works is qualifying adds and losses are netted off against each other. 

So Lawson-Hendrickson, Hilton-Alexander, maybe Owuzie-Green, 

I think we may be in line for a 4th for losing WJ3 plus a late pick or 2.  I'd much rather we'd not have any picks but have signed say Matt Feiler and Chris Conley and have a couple more positions covered. 

12 hours ago, SF2 said:

LOL, the fans don’t play the game,  how can they possibly throw in the towel?  

If you don't think the culture of the fanbase has a tangible impact upon the behavior of the franchise and the performance of the players (particularly within the stadium itself), even if a small impact, then I couldn't give one shit about your perspective. If you're one of those people, do me a favor and ensure someone else occupies any seats you're tempted to occupy.

1 hour ago, OU_Stripes said:

If you don't think the culture of the fanbase has a tangible impact upon the behavior of the franchise and the performance of the players (particularly within the stadium itself), even if a small impact, then I couldn't give one shit about your perspective. If you're one of those people, do me a favor and ensure someone else occupies any seats you're tempted to occupy.

Wow. A bit much.

I'm sure a loud, loyal fanbase can help a team.  Not so sure the lack thereof should have that much impact.  The team has a lot of control over that by the way they play as well.  All the screaming in Rich Stadium in Buffalo didn't do squat to help the Bills until they got a decent QB. 

9 hours ago, OU_Stripes said:

LOL, man you have completely gone off into the deep end.  One question:  How is it possible that Philly won a Championship a few years ago?  According to you, it shouldn’t have been possible. 

New Orleans from 1967 to mid 80s  had way worse fans than anything I ever saw in Cincy.  What finally changed it?  Tom Benson bought the team.  

Wanna know what changes teams? Competent OWNERSHIP.  Why has Washington and Dallas turned to shit?  OWNERSHIP.  Fans have jack shit to do with it.   Browns sucked for decades.  

Cleveland fans are way worse than Cincy. Haslam buys the team in 2011 and seems to have figured it out.  A lot of missteps on the way but looks like he has built a good team.  

You keep washing Mike Browns’ balls, I am sure he enjoys it. 

Archived