Bengals Free Agency Thread.

2 hours ago, spicoli said:

Will they even look for a LT in FA? 

Serious doubts.

They said Jonah was the LT, I take them at their word. 

Being that our OT's are either injury prone or not actually on the team yet it's almost guaranteed that the 3rd guy is going to get some starts this season.  This is the deepest free agent group of OT's they're likely to see for years, it'd be incredibly foolish not to take advantage of it.  Given the amount of money they threw away on Bobby Shart plus the additional cap space they could free up by actually embracing a rebuild instead of beating around the bush there's really no excuse.

Worst case if they do sign someone is he sits for a year or two because our young OT's are kicking so much ass.  Why would they not do everything possible to protect JB when another serious injury would set the entire franchise back indefinitely? It makes it very hard to convince myself the Browns are interested in anything more than being perpetual leeches on the NFL.

Seems they'd rather pray for rain than drop the $20 on a fire extinguisher.  Makes no sense to me at all.

8 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

I mentioned if they draft Sewell they could start the young man at RT to ease the pressure of covering the blindside.

Well since they've already said that Jonah isn't moving I'm gonna say that if they draft Sewell, they're planning on making him a RT. 

The salary cap is down now but when the new TV deals kick in the cap will start going back up perhaps even quickly.

I am sure there are going to be several solid, pro bowl caliber Free Agents in their late 20's who would be willing to sign a good 3-4 year contract now.  The Bengals might be thinking they are over paying today but in a year those players might be considered a bargain.

I don't think it's that important which side Sewell plays on if he's drafted. John Sheeran had a stat showing which side some of the big time pass rushers were getting the majority of their sacks, and in many cases it was from the right side. Have a great left tackle? They just line up on the other side. In a nutshell, IF we draft Sewell and he's dominant on the right side, pass rushers will attack Jonah on the left, and vise versa if the roles are reversed. 

If one of your tackles is weaker (I'm not saying Jonah is weak) than the other, they WILL find him whichever side he's on.

10 hours ago, spicoli said:

Will they even look for a LT in FA? 

Serious doubts.

They said Jonah was the LT, I take them at their word. 

Can’t afford to shop for a starting LT with all of the outright holes on this team regardless. He played ok last year when he played.  He isn’t Cedric Ogbuehi

2 hours ago, spicoli said:

Well since they've already said that Jonah isn't moving I'm gonna say that if they draft Sewell, they're planning on making him a RT. 

I’m thinking that their plan/hope is to trade back even if Sewell is there at five...and then get a good RT.

2 hours ago, westside bengal said:

The salary cap is down now but when the new TV deals kick in the cap will start going back up perhaps even quickly.

I am sure there are going to be several solid, pro bowl caliber Free Agents in their late 20's who would be willing to sign a good 3-4 year contract now.  The Bengals might be thinking they are over paying today but in a year those players might be considered a bargain.

I’m thinking that the high-level free agents will be more inclined to sign a one-year deal...for that very reason.

4 hours ago, Sox said:

I don't think it's that important which side Sewell plays on if he's drafted. John Sheeran had a stat showing which side some of the big time pass rushers were getting the majority of their sacks, and in many cases it was from the right side. Have a great left tackle? They just line up on the other side. In a nutshell, IF we draft Sewell and he's dominant on the right side, pass rushers will attack Jonah on the left, and vise versa if the roles are reversed. 

If one of your tackles is weaker (I'm not saying Jonah is weak) than the other, they WILL find him whichever side he's on.

The difference is ..blindside..

1 hour ago, Cricket said:

I’m thinking that the high-level free agents will be more inclined to sign a one-year deal...for that very reason.

Man it is a catch 22.  You can still sign a set for life contract although it will be less.  Maybe agents can tie a pay increase per year based on percentage increase in cap next year.  A one year deal is just too fucking risky for the good FAs.  

8 hours ago, spicoli said:

Because to hell with playing the best guy available at the position, the important thing when building an NFL roster is to not make anyone sad.  There's the team culture in a nutshell: pudding soft from the top down.

6 hours ago, Cricket said:

I am sure the younger guys and their agents are thinking that way but those 28+ might be thinking this might be their last chance shot at a longer term deal.

6 hours ago, Cricket said:

I’m thinking that their plan/hope is to trade back even if Sewell is there at five...and then get a good RT.

PHI, DET, CAR & DEN are the teams that follow us in round one.  I've seen each as having QB as a main need.  There should be at least one of the top QB targets remaining. at 5.

Would you take a 3rd rounder to swap spots with one that wants to leapfrog the others (or keep it from happening).  I'd make it pretty widely known that the pick is available.  I'd also drop some not-so-subtle rumors that I'm testing the waters with the PAT'S for multiple picks.

The Lions have two 3rds.  If they covet a remaining QB, do you think we could entice them to swap say our #5 for their #7 & either #72 or #89?

Even if Chase &/or Sewell are still there at 5, DET slides in and takes a QB & PHI takes whoever they take, that still leaves two of Chase, Sewell or Slater (or Pitts or Suartain or Farley) sitting there for us at 7.  Slater might even be as good a fit now as Sewell since Jonah is staying at LT.

1 hour ago, UncleEarl said:

I don't keep up with all this FA stuff as much as others, but I am correct to assume Jackson and Lawson are looking to hit the road?  Can't blame them if they do.

I think they'll try to re-sign Lawson...but will ultimately get into a bidding war and lose. I don't think they've got a prayer with Jackson either. 

This is where I landed with my wish list. 

Thuney and Lawson today would make me ecstatic. 

QB Burrow 25 Allen 22 Dobbs Shurmur      
RB Mixon 25 Bernard 22 Perine 21 Williams 23 Patterson 6 Patrick Taylor UDFA
WR Higgins 24 Eskridge 4 Morgan 21 UDFA      
WR Brown Tate 22 Irwin UDFA      
WR Boyd 24 Newsome 5 Washington        
TE Uzomah 22 Sample 23 Long 7 Carter 21 Schrek 21 Wilcox  
LT Williams 24 Adeniji 24 UDFA        
LG Thuney Jordan 23 Sutherland 21        
C Hopkins 23 Price 22 Redmond 21        
RG Warford Su'a-Filo 23 UDFA        
RT Sewell 1 Johnson 22 Prince 24        

K Seibert 23 Gonzalez          
P Huber 21            
LS Harris 22 Godsil          

LE Hubbard 22 Kareem 24 Bledsoe 22 Akinmoladun      
LT Reader 24 Tupou 22 Wren 23 McKenzie      
RT Alualu Nixon 3 Hunt 21 Daniels 21      
RE Lawson 21 Basham 2 Beasley Charlton      
SLB Davis-Gaither 24 Biegel Chickilo        
MLB Wilson 24 Bynes 21 Jones        
WLB Pratt 23 Bailey 24 UDFA        
S Bell 23 Farley RD 7        
S Bates 22 Wilson 21 Henderson        
CB Waynes 23 Joseph 4 McTyer Rose      
CB Phillips 22 Tankersley Davis 22        
CB Poole Brown 21 Lewis        

20 hours ago, sparky151 said:

What did he say?  I see a piece by him about free agency that doesn't really say anything. 

His typical shit. Hobsoning the numbers. Shaving down the available cap saying they have to pay the rookie pool, practice squad and other such things. Isn't even using accurate numbers but essentially has them down to about $20 million to spend in total. As usual, he's just doing his job and setting us all up for heartbreak by trying to pre-justify the Bengals lack of activity. It's just nauseating to read. I do not know how he doesn't constantly gag as he writes this fucking drivel. 

Archived