Bengals Free Agency Thread.

For what it's worth, PFF considers Lawson a better player than Hendrickson.

Lawson was 14th ranked edge defender with overall rating of 76.3. Run defense was 61.1 and pass rushing was 84.9.

Hendrickson was 28th ranked, 70.9 overall, 53.9 in run defense and 77.0 in pass rush. 

Lawson also played 150 more snaps last season.

1 hour ago, UncleEarl said:

My guess is Lawson could have stayed.  Jackson will get a good offer as well.  Honestly, why would they stay?  If you had a choice, and the money was equal, would you play for the Bengals?

My understanding, and I do not know if this is true, is that the Bengals offered Lawson the same contract as Hendrickson. Lawson only wanted a three year deal so he could be a free agent again at 28. Bengals insisted on the fourth year. Lawson picked the Jets. Bengals gave the contract to Hendrickson.

Lawson had 11.5 sacks over the past three seasons and only played in 35 of a possible 48 games. I know that he was second in the league in GPDCTTQB Rating (Getting Pretty Damn Close To The QB) and his RBTQBA (Run By The Quarterback Average) was at an All Pro level while Hendrickson is only in the NFL because of Cam Jordan but I am actually glad that Lawson didn't choose to stay. 

The Bengals signed pass rusher Trey Hendrickson to a four-year, $60 million contract. The commitment at signing is considerably lower than that.

Per a source with knowledge of the terms, Hendrickson will receive a $10 million signing bonus and a $6 million roster bonus, both of which are guaranteed. The deal also has a base salary of $3.8 million in 2021 (non-guaranteed, but guaranteed as a practical matter), along with $200,000 in per-game roster bonuses.

That’s a total payout of $20 million for one year. The Bengals can escape the rest by moving on before the fifth day of the 2022 league year, when another $6 million roster bonus comes due. The total payout for 2022 is $12 million.

The deal pays $13 million in 2023 (that includes an early $3 million roster bonus) and $15 million in 2024. It’s still a one-year-at-a-time contract for the Bengals, which makes sense given that Hendrickson had three so-so seasons before exploding in 2020, with 15.5 sacks.

1 hour ago, BengalFanInTO said:

My understanding, and I do not know if this is true, is that the Bengals offered Lawson the same contract as Hendrickson. Lawson only wanted a three year deal so he could be a free agent again at 28. Bengals insisted on the fourth year. Lawson picked the Jets. Bengals gave the contract to Hendrickson.

Lawson had 11.5 sacks over the past three seasons and only played in 35 of a possible 48 games. I know that he was second in the league in GPDCTTQB Rating (Getting Pretty Damn Close To The QB) and his RBTQBA (Run By The Quarterback Average) was at an All Pro level while Hendrickson is only in the NFL because of Cam Jordan but I am actually glad that Lawson didn't choose to stay. 

Good news is our defensive coaches are excellent at coaching up so we can expect big things from Hendrickson and any other defensive FA we sign. Meanwhile, JB is looking for an additional insurance policy against injury becuase we wouldn't want to actually pay fair value for a good guard. 

1 minute ago, Jamie_B said:

The team signed a high end free agent to a deal that doesn't hamstring them if it doesnt work out?

Who locked Mike Brown in the basement?

Clearly no other team provided a better contract so there is the possibility that this guy will "earn" the right to be cut before the deal is finished. 

2 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Why is that clearly?

Because he would have signed with the other team if their was a better deal on the table, or at least waited as he thought through his options. I am not really pissing on the deal, but Lawson was a known commodity in our system and Hendrickson is not. We did not want to provide the guarantees to Lawson the jets did and so Hendrickson is Plan B. At best, this is a wash from an overall talent perspective. 

2 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Because he would have signed with the other team if their was a better deal on the table, or at least waited as he thought through his options. I am not really pissing on the deal, but Lawson was a known commodity in our system and Hendrickson is not. We did not want to provide the guarantees to Lawson the jets did and so Hendrickson is Plan B. At best, this is a wash from an overall talent perspective. 

We're going to have to agree to disagree. I'll take the guy with 13.5 sacks over the guy with 5.5 every time.

20 minutes ago, Shebengal said:

Glad I can be a source of amusement for you.😉

I hope that didn't come out wrong....I certainly didn't mean to insult you or your family. It's just that I recently moved away from Brown's territory and was plugged into their mindset as you are with your family.....so - I can relate.

59 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

A known commodity at what? Almost getting sacks?!? 11.5 sacks over three seasons and 20 over his career playing with Geno Atkins and Carlos Dunlap taking the heat off of him for the majority of it. I'm not sure this is the spilled milk people should be crying over. I'm not saying Hendrickson is the next big thing. The one year wonder thing certainly worries me but, Lawson has done next to nothing but get hurt, almost sack the QB and help lead the Bengals to last place in the league in sacks last year. 

Archived