Bengals Free Agency Thread.

6 hours ago, Griever said:

Perine played admirably with Mixon out, happy to have him back.

Samje gives the Bengals another durable back that can take on a load if Mixon is out for a game or so.  Was my favorite of the remaining in-house FA's.

1 hour ago, Griever said:

Starting up early today. Wonder how this impacts the Golladay pursuit:

My guess is nil.

WR1 Higgins

WR2 (Golladay)

SL1  Boyd

WR3 Tate

WR4 Morgan

SL2 Thomas

Golladay would join Higgins, Boyd and Tate for the top 4 seats in the receivers room.  Thomas joins Morgan and several other candidates to battle for the final two WR jobs/teams contributors.

9 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

It would be a good signing.  OTOH...does that mean the Bengals stand pat at OT?  Is Sewell off the board for them?

Obviously depends on the contract, but it would allow us to do BPA and not have to be locked into any specific pick

1 minute ago, Jamie_B said:

Obviously depends on the contract, but it would allow us to do BPA and not have to be locked into any specific pick

Frankly, I'm not sold on Williams at LT.  Sounds a lot like the Bengals upgrade at RT, Williams goes down again at LT next year and Burrow continues to get killed. 

1 minute ago, UncleEarl said:

Frankly, I'm not sold on Williams at LT.  Sounds a lot like the Bengals upgrade at RT, Williams goes down again at LT next year and Burrow continues to get killed. 

Williams was not the problem in getting Burrow killed, that was entirely Michael Jordan. I do like the idea of still drafting Sewell and having 3 good Tackles in case one gets hurt though.

1 hour ago, UncleEarl said:

Yeah, the Bengals keep vowing their belief in Jonah but signing Reiff would be a sign they're not so sure.

3 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Yeah, the Bengals keep vowing their belief in Jonah but signing Reiff would be a sign they're not so sure.

In my opinion, people are writing Jonah Williams off way too early but that's simply a difference of opinion. Don't tell T-Dub I said this though. He gets super fucking angry about the topic. I might ask him to show me on the teddy bear where Jonah touched him.

Having said that, I do not feel the addition of Reiff means anything for Williams and/or for the potential of adding Sewell. He's 32 years old, is likely more of a short term than long term fix and is at the very least better than Bobby Hart. My hope is that the addition would just adding better linemen to the mix, One thing people need to remember is that Sewell will go almost two full years without playing in a game by the time the season starts. Not sure he steps in and occupies any position on the line from Day 1, especially left tackle.

The good news, in my opinion, if they add Reiff and Sewell is they have more options to fill the four "open" spots on the line in some fashion with better options than last year. Different coaching staff, different "era" but Andrew Whitworth played 3 seasons at OG before moving to OT. It's not out of the question that Sewell or Williams could play OG next season.

8 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:

In my opinion, people are writing Jonah Williams off way too early but that's simply a difference of opinion. Don't tell T-Dub I said this though. He gets super fucking angry about the topic. I might ask him to show me on the teddy bear where Jonah touched him.

Having said that, I do not feel the addition of Reiff means anything for Williams and/or for the potential of adding Sewell. He's 32 years old, is likely more of a short term than long term fix and is at the very least better than Bobby Hart. My hope is that the addition would just adding better linemen to the mix, One thing people need to remember is that Sewell will go almost two full years without playing in a game by the time the season starts. Not sure he steps in and occupies any position on the line from Day 1, especially left tackle.

The good news, in my opinion, if they add Reiff and Sewell is they have more options to fill the four "open" spots on the line in some fashion with better options than last year. Different coaching staff, different "era" but Andrew Whitworth played 3 seasons at OG before moving to OT. It's not out of the question that Sewell or Williams could play OG next season.

Slater could play OG as well. It would be great to have depth and options instead of shit and handcuffed. Reiff has played several years at RT so no doubt he would be put there. Then if we can add more talent in the draft.

How about this scenario - sign Reiff and Golladay and perhaps an average OG to add to the mix. Then in the draft trade down a few spots and pick either Pitts or Slater. If Pitts, then load up on OL with other top picks. If Slater, then BPA all the way

12 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Slater could play OG as well. It would be great to have depth and options instead of shit and handcuffed. Reiff has played several years at RT so no doubt he would be put there. Then if we can add more talent in the draft.

How about this scenario - sign Reiff and Golladay and perhaps an average OG to add to the mix. Then in the draft trade down a few spots and pick either Pitts or Slater. If Pitts, then load up on OL with other top picks. If Slater, then BPA all the way

I'm good with your scenario. I don't even care if they add Golladay as part of it. A solid speed guy like Conley or Perriman would be fine for me. 

One thing I didn't add in my comments above is that the one person Reiff's addition would in fact affect is Bobby Hart. Reiff's signing means Hart is cut picking up almost $6 million on the cap. Basically, a swap of Reiff for Hart would likely see very little impact on the current cap space remaining.

35 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:

HA! Child molesting, hilarious!

Anyway there's a big difference between writing him off and acting like he's this bookend OT when he's managed to play all of 10 games in 2 years.  What annoys me is the "oh we're set at OT if we draft ______" nonsense.  Sign this Reiff guy and that would be one (1) OT we know we can probably count on next season.

I would think pretending otherwise after that same stubborn negligence got Burrow mangled would piss anyone off,  They pulled the same shit with Ross, and Eifert, and Glenn, and Ogbuehi, and so many others..  The stubborn refusal to deal with a bad situation is why this franchise is in this hole in the first place.  So yeah, I can't help calling out the Land of Make-Believe stuff.  It's certainly not limited to Jonah Williams, nor is it his fault really but why the hell are we so determined to keep ignoring the facts?

13 hours ago, Griever said:

Hubby's comment when he told me this: "Good luck learning how to spell Ogunjobi." I told him I learned how to spell Houshmandzadeh, I can learn Ogunjobi. Besides, he's the one with spelling issues. :)

29 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I would think pretending otherwise after that same stubborn negligence got Burrow mangled would piss anyone off,  They pulled the same shit with Ross, and Eifert, and Glenn, and Ogbuehi, and so many others..  The stubborn refusal to deal with a bad situation is why this franchise is in this hole in the first place.  So yeah, I can't help calling out the Land of Make-Believe stuff.  It's certainly not limited to Jonah Williams, nor is it his fault really but why the hell are we so determined to keep ignoring the facts?

Last off season was the first one where the team BEGAN to realize that you cannot count on just draft picks turning out. Even for the best of teams drafting can be very streaky and if you have a few bad years in a row and don't recognize it you will set your team back a long ways. I will give this team credit for that - if they want to run a pint sized scouting staff, fine, but you had better use free agency more because the failure rate of draft picks will be higher with less scouts. 

I heard a good hockey scout on the radio the other day and he said one of the keys to scouting is understanding that you are first and foremost projecting young men into adult games and that means some will not meet the projections and a few will exceed it BUT if you have to evaluate each player independent of the initial draft evaluation. Once the player signs and hits the playing surface it is a clean slate and the coaches now take over the evaluation. 

18 minutes ago, Shebengal said:

Hubby's comment when he told me this: "Good luck learning how to spell Ogunjobi." I told him I learned how to spell Houshmandzadeh, I can learn Ogunjobi. Besides, he's the one with spelling issues. :)

My nephew in Cleveland told me “Good player, wish he would have stayed, but not heartbroken”

Translation: “Crap!” 😀

7 minutes ago, Shebengal said:

Ha. I had the same thought. My tough one was always Kaesviharn. Ogbuehi was never easy either.

I think this is quietly a nice little signing. Three year starter for the Browns. Last year wasn't a great year for him but the two previous years he had 5.5 sacks, 10 TFLs and 13+ QB hits per year. Some will tell you this was because all five offensive linemen quintuple teamed Myles Garrett leaving the remaining three defensive linemen to run around freely. Not a lock and load starter here but, hopefully a piece to a revamped defensive line. 

Archived