Bengals Free Agency Thread.

2 hours ago, T-Dub said:

HA! Child molesting, hilarious!

Anyway there's a big difference between writing him off and acting like he's this bookend OT when he's managed to play all of 10 games in 2 years.  What annoys me is the "oh we're set at OT if we draft ______" nonsense.  Sign this Reiff guy and that would be one (1) OT we know we can probably count on next season.

I would think pretending otherwise after that same stubborn negligence got Burrow mangled would piss anyone off,  They pulled the same shit with Ross, and Eifert, and Glenn, and Ogbuehi, and so many others..  The stubborn refusal to deal with a bad situation is why this franchise is in this hole in the first place.  So yeah, I can't help calling out the Land of Make-Believe stuff.  It's certainly not limited to Jonah Williams, nor is it his fault really but why the hell are we so determined to keep ignoring the facts?

All of your posts are angry. You're like that guy that yells at random people at the grocery store or to get off his lawn. It's funny. I like it.

I don't think many people believe the Bengals would be "set" by adding Sewell or Slater. I also get that his durability seems to be a concern but the two injuries are unrelated and my understanding is he was shelved after his injury last season and could have returned. I agree that 10 games over two seasons isn't enough to say Williams is your long term left tackle but, it's not enough to say he isn't.

I will 100% agree that the Bengals loyalty, stubborn nature, stupidity or a combination of all three have been an issue over the years. I also don't think it's time to start thinking Johan Williams is Cedric Ogbuehi quite yet. No NFL team is moving away from essentially a Top 10 pick after two years. 

I think Zac's full quote was "Jonah Williams is our OLT... until he's not."  

And, yeah, I want to see Jonah put in a full season or at least most of it before

really buying into him.  Don't get me wrong.  Really rooting for the guy and want

to see him go on to great things but... well, you know.  Hope he isn't the Chris

Perry of the O line.  His first season he went on IR before training camp folded

50 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Last off season was the first one where the team BEGAN to realize that you cannot count on just draft picks turning out. Even for the best of teams drafting can be very streaky and if you have a few bad years in a row and don't recognize it you will set your team back a long ways. I will give this team credit for that - if they want to run a pint sized scouting staff, fine, but you had better use free agency more because the failure rate of draft picks will be higher with less scouts. 

I heard a good hockey scout on the radio the other day and he said one of the keys to scouting is understanding that you are first and foremost projecting young men into adult games and that means some will not meet the projections and a few will exceed it BUT if you have to evaluate each player independent of the initial draft evaluation. Once the player signs and hits the playing surface it is a clean slate and the coaches now take over the evaluation. 

Scouting hockey is scouting HS kids, basically 15-18 year olds.  Not as much projecting a college football players measurables as there are in hockey. 

11 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Scouting hockey is scouting HS kids, basically 15-18 year olds.  Not as much projecting a college football players measurables as there are in hockey. 

Granted. But the basic premise remains the same. You draft a guy based on certain thoughts/projections/expectations and if, on the field, this does not show up you need to move on. 

13 hours ago, Sea Ray said:

If Burrow doesn't get his knee torn up, we win that WFT game last yr. You disagree?

Why?  It was 9-7 Cincy the 3rd quarter. Burrow wasn’t exactly killing it against Washington before the injury.  Washington’s defense was hitting Burrow on almost every other pass play. 

Everyone seems to forget Burrow was 2-7-1 before his season ended. Not his fault but it was the record.  

2 hours ago, BengalFanInTO said:

All of your posts are angry. You're like that guy that yells at random people at the grocery store or to get off his lawn. It's funny. I like it.

Good, it's meant to be funny for the most part.

My premise remains they need some kind of capable back-up given JW's injury history.

And FFS replace Bobby Shart. The extension was ridiculous enough but that doesn't mean you have to throw your season by playing the bum.

2 hours ago, BengalFanInTO said:

Ha. I had the same thought. My tough one was always Kaesviharn. Ogbuehi was never easy either.

I think this is quietly a nice little signing. Three year starter for the Browns. Last year wasn't a great year for him but the two previous years he had 5.5 sacks, 10 TFLs and 13+ QB hits per year. Some will tell you this was because all five offensive linemen quintuple teamed Myles Garrett leaving the remaining three defensive linemen to run around freely. Not a lock and load starter here but, hopefully a piece to a revamped defensive line. 

Ogunjobi wad a 3trch for yhe Broens until Sheldon Richardson was moved into that role and plughing Ogujobi as their NT..

Bad move...

Hes a 3tech and thats what the Bengals needed and will use him as..

7 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Good, it's meant to be funny for the most part.

My premise remains they need some kind of capable back-up given JW's injury history.

And FFS replace Bobby Shart. The extension was ridiculous enough but that doesn't mean you have to throw your season by playing the bum.

I am all for upgrading the RT spot which we should with the first pick. That said probably the best backup for the price would be Bobby Hart.  

Capable OTs are actually rare, very expensive and are all starters.   

13 minutes ago, SF2 said:

I am all for upgrading the RT spot which we should with the first pick. That said probably the best backup for the price would be Bobby Hart.  

Capable OTs are actually rare, very expensive and are all starters.   

Fuuuck that, they can be just as bad on the field as Hart and they still wouldn't be an embarrassment off the field. Can't go extending a dude like that and calling him "phenomenal" while talking about changing the culture. 

16 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Fuuuck that, they can be just as bad on the field as Hart and they still wouldn't be an embarrassment off the field. Can't go extending a dude like that and calling him "phenomenal" while talking about changing the culture. 

Hart is a decent backup.  It isn’t his fault the Bengals overpaid for him to be a starter.   So if one of our tackles goes down you want a later round rookie to come in to protect Burrow?  Seems like a bad plan.  

2 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Hart is a decent backup.  It isn’t his fault the Bengals overpaid for him to be a starter.   So if one of our tackles goes down you want a later round rookie to come in to protect Burrow?  Seems like a bad plan.  

Why are the only options Bobby Shart or a late-round draft pick? We've been happily making lateral moves on defense all week, I'm sure they can find a FA OT that also kinda sucks but isn't an antisemitic flat-earther dipshit.

42 minutes ago, SF2 said:

If it's Bobby Hart or Hakeem Adeniji, give me the latter every time. The fact he's cheaper is just a bonus.

5 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

NFL announced new and very large broadcast contracts that kick in starting in 2023 which will increase league revenues substantially. This is will time perfectly for when we have to re-sign JB for $60M per year. 

This will go over like Louis Farrakhan at a bar mitzvah but the way things are going? I expect we either tag him or he's on the first flight out of here.  Assuming we don't get him crippled first.

2 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

This will go over like Louis Farrakhan at a bar mitzvah but the way things are going? I expect we either tag him or he's on the first flight out of here.  Assuming we don't get him crippled first.

T-Dub we both can't be cynical at the same time or this forum server will crash..lol. So I will say we will re-sign him

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

Why are the only options Bobby Shart or a late-round draft pick? We've been happily making lateral moves on defense all week, I'm sure they can find a FA OT that also kinda sucks but isn't an antisemitic flat-earther dipshit.

100% correct. If the Bengals can't find someone better than Bobby Hart for $6 million, there's a problem. For now, I will take Johnson or Adenjii backing up Reiff/Williams/Sewell. Hell, re-sign Quinton Spain (which they should do any way). He actually played very well at RT, even against TJ Watt.

57 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:

100% correct. If the Bengals can't find someone better than Bobby Hart for $6 million, there's a problem. For now, I will take Johnson or Adenjii backing up Reiff/Williams/Sewell. Hell, re-sign Quinton Spain (which they should do any way). He actually played very well at RT, even against TJ Watt.

This sounds ok, with the obvious exception that Sewell is not a player on the roster.  There are 4 other teams that get a vote on that, kind of silly for them to be writing him into the depth chart now.  

2 hours ago, sparky151 said:

If it's Bobby Hart or Hakeem Adeniji, give me the latter every time. The fact he's cheaper is just a bonus.

Adenijji is best suited as a LT or LG.

I think LG would be best for him now..

Right side will be Reiff!!!

And Hart will be Gone!

Archived