Bengals Free Agency Thread.

Just now, spicoli said:

So he sucks because Turner recommended him....got it 👍

C'mon...he's a 6th round pick.  What makes you think he can do it?  You just don't plug in 6th rounders unless they have proven it.  Or, you shouldn't.  They did that with Michael Jordan, who was a fourth round pick, and see what that got them.

Just now, UncleEarl said:

C'mon...he's a 6th round pick.  What makes you think he can do it?  You just don't plug in 6th rounders unless they have proven it.  Or, you shouldn't.  They did that with Michael Jordan, who was a fourth round pick, and see what that got them.

They threw MJ in there as a raw rookie. 
This will be Williams’ third year in the system. 

3 minutes ago, spicoli said:

They threw MJ in there as a raw rookie. 
This will be Williams’ third year in the system. 

That doesn't mean he's any better.  Now, if the Bengals know something more about Williams, Ok.  Then again I don't have any memories of Williams or Perine being counted on to block pass rushers.  Yeah, so what if Burrow takes an extra dozen hits or so next year. 

12 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:
23 minutes ago, spicoli said:

The offense ran the best last year with him in and not Mixon. 

Actually you could probably make a pretty decent argument that the offense ran best with Perine and Williams in there during the last few games. 

30 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Do the Bengals have cap issues?  Am I missing something?  Why make your team worse when you don't have to?

What are they going to get for Bernard?  A third or worse?  If Zach Taylor and Mike Brown want to win games this year they shouldn't trade Bernard.  If I were Taylor or Burrow I would stand on my head to keep him.

Bingo. The Bengals don't need the cap space and the guy brings intangibles that most won't realize...pass blocking (one of the best in the league), leadership and pass catching ability. I like his veteran presence in the backfield and having Mixon, Perine, Williams AND Bernard is not an issue. RBs get hurt. Having three serviceable guys behind Mixon is a good thing. They keep four backs on the 53 man roster. Where's the issue here?

Sure, if someone offers you a sweet ass deal for him in his final year of his contract and Gio is good to go, fine, but why you'd give up a guy who blocks like a mofo for our franchise QB on 3rd down is mystifying. Why do you think so many teams are inquiring about him?!?

11 minutes ago, spicoli said:

This whole conversation is getting preposterous. 
Gio is a fan favorite, fine. That doesn’t make him irreplaceable though. 

Other than you getting offended, how is it preposterous?  My desire to keep Bernard has nothing to do with being a fan favorite.  The guy can play and has proven it.  If you want to win you need guys like that.  If the Bengals were up against the cap then maybe you have to take that risk.  The Bengals aren't up against the cap and they don't have to take that risk of using a 6th round pick or a guy who has been waived by WFT and Miami to play crucial downs.

19 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:

but why you'd give up a guy who blocks like a mofo for our franchise QB on 3rd down is mystifying. Why do you think so many teams are inquiring about him?!?

You guys realize that with Burrow in there they’re almost exclusively going to be in empty sets on 3rd down, right? 

7 minutes ago, spicoli said:

How am I getting offended? I don’t see Gio as some irreplaceable part, that doesn’t mean I’m offended by any of it. 

Ok, man.    I just don’t get your “better than that” comment.  Pair that with the “petty” one and you may understand my response.  I am not trying to offend, and am happy you are not.  At the same time if you are not offended you may want to back off on the passive aggressive comments. 

Lol that comment you made about being Mike Browns grandson WAS petty! 

As for the Perine comment, I assumed you had eyes and actually watched Perine play in a Bengals uniform. Waiver wire is irrelevant to the conversation. That’s all I meant. 

Water under the bridge in my mind. 

1 hour ago, UncleEarl said:

So, you're assuming Mixon will be healthy and play all 17 games?  Big assumption.

Hey at least he's actually done that before, unlike the LT we're going to happily hang our season on once again.  

And we have capable back-ups for Mixon.

57 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:

Bingo. The Bengals don't need the cap space and the guy brings intangibles that most won't realize...pass blocking (one of the best in the league), leadership and pass catching ability. I like his veteran presence in the backfield and having Mixon, Perine, Williams AND Bernard is not an issue. RBs get hurt. Having three serviceable guys behind Mixon is a good thing. They keep four backs on the 53 man roster. Where's the issue here?

Sure, if someone offers you a sweet ass deal for him in his final year of his contract and Gio is good to go, fine, but why you'd give up a guy who blocks like a mofo for our franchise QB on 3rd down is mystifying. Why do you think so many teams are inquiring about him?!?

Agreed, even though I know we have more money tied up in this position than most teams. 

1 hour ago, spicoli said:

You guys realize that with Burrow in there they’re almost exclusively going to be in empty sets on 3rd down, right? 

Erroneous. Bengals played a 3 WR set more than any other set on 3rd down last season (72% of the time) like most NFL teams. Nice try though.

Some general thoughts

Grading the offseason position by position

QB: B--Brandon Allen

I like Allen, I don't like not hedging here. I think that Dobbs makes a ton of sense because he is still young and could develop. 

RB: A--Samaje Perrine

Perrine is on the rise and getting him for 2 years is important. I really like Bernard and hope he sticks around. That group of 3 plus a rookie and Williams is solid. 

WR: F--Mike Thomas

This was a completely negligent offseason when it comes to adding players. They didn't need much to improve this group and they did nothing. Starting 3rd speed 3rd WRs were going for 3-4 Million and we weren't in play. One of the things that I haven't seen talked about was that Thomas has shown some flashes in the offense. Would I count on him? No. But he had by far his most productive year of his career. 13-132-1 and when thrown to the QB had a 95.7 passer rating. He has never really been asked to be a major player in the offense and he is only 26. 

TE: C

Losing Cethan Carter was a blow and they haven't added anything yet. A stretch the field guy and a special teamer should be on the horizon. Definitely an incomplete

OL: C

I think the attempts were there, but they fell flat. One short term solution just won't cut it for the mess this offensive line has been for 4 years. Reiff is a good add but he is short term and even with him you only have 2 solid lineman of the 5. You have to get atleast one more in free agency and 1 very early in the draft. 

DL: F

Losing Carl Lawson was just idiotic. Hendrickson isn't the player Lawson is and we were forced into him. I like him but we botched this. Ogunjobi is an interesting add but can't be it at DT. DT is not deep in this draft so I'd like for us to sign another guy. I would also like them to sign another DE. I expect an early pick as well. Kerrigan and another DT in Free Agency bump this up but still no stars. 

LB: A-

We haven't done anything yet. I am hopeful that Bynes is back soon

S: A

We might have the best overall unit in the league. Allen and Wilson round out the group perfectly. 

CB:A-

Our overall 5 is an improvement. There are still many CBs left so we may have rushed in to fast here, but the 3 guys we signed all have upside. I love having 5 capable guys. 

Archived