Bengals Free Agency Thread.

22 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

OK, to put it another way:   You think he's going to have double-digit sacks on this defense?

Hard to say. I definitely think Lawson would have with a healthy Reader all year. I don't think Lawson is any better than Hendrickson. A wash if anything.

Definitely won't happen if they're forced to give big minutes to the the likes of Xavier Williams and Christian Covington again.

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

I swear the Burfict drama made them afraid to field someone like that again.

Only Pittsburgh are allowed to have that type of player.

Oddly, I really believe the Bengals would have taken Devin Bush Jr. in 2019 if the Stealers hadn't jumped in front of them. 

43 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:

Man, Clapton. You really dislike Al Golden. Do you know him personally? 

I did and no...

I know they had two young backers in Wilson and Gaither..

They looked totally lost in assignments.

Pratt improved as a pass defender of sorts later on on the season but cant tackle ..

Is it too hard to learn wrap and role?

I guess when you look at the unit as a whole what do you really expect of this meager group with no depth?

To say Micah Persons would really help is understating his importance..

We arent taking Parsons though..

Maybe Im too harsh on Golden for what he has to work with..

4 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

I did and no...

I know they had two young backers in Wilson and Gaither..

They looked totally lost in assignments.

Pratt improved as a pass defender of sorts later on on the season but cant tackle ..

Is it too hard to learn wrap and role?

In a sense I think it is, yeah.  Most of it is want-to and while I understand the team was in a tailspin & going nowhere, it's either in them or it isn't.  

Leon Hall was a textbook example of a sure tackler that wasn't also a penalty factory trying to knock people out. 

They can teach technique all day every day but when faced with an NFL RB coming at you full speed I think it's ultimately a matter of instinct.  Most rational people are going to think FTS and try not to get trampled.  It takes a certain mindsett to instead think "fuck that guy!" and throw yourself in their path.  It's not something they measure at the combine.

13 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

In a sense I think it is, yeah.  Most of it is want-to and while I understand the team was in a tailspin & going nowhere, it's either in them or it isn't.  

Leon Hall was a textbook example of a sure tackler that wasn't also a penalty factory trying to knock people out. 

They can teach technique all day every day but when faced with an NFL RB coming at you full speed I think it's ultimately a matter of instinct.  Most rational people are going to think FTS and try not to get trampled.  It takes a certain mindsett to instead think "fuck that guy!" and throw yourself in their path.  It's not something they measure at the combine.

You do agree the cupboard at backer

Is bare outside of a few cans of chicken noodle ?

14 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

More like a bunch of unlabeled cans and we're trying to open them with a fork?

It was a mix of rookies and scrubs, some of the rooks may also be scrubs but either way a solidly average vet would be a smart hire at this point. Someone along the lines of a Dhani Jones would at least create some sort of baseline to build around.

giphy.webp

3 minutes ago, spicoli said:

I really feel like NFL coaches shouldn't have to worry about teaching guys to wrap and roll after 3 or 4 years of playing D1 college football. Maybe that's just me though..

No, they shouldn't, and further I'm not sure at that point if they even could.  

Suffice to say the defense was pretty much 10-ply against anyone but the Stealers

On 3/26/2021 at 3:26 PM, T-Dub said:

Well he's free to start thumping something other than his own chest any time now...

I follow the Bengals pretty closely and I have seen nothing from Wilson that exudes chest thumping. He seems to me to be confident and more humble than a chest thumper. 

On 3/26/2021 at 5:18 PM, claptonrocks said:

Clapton, I think it is hard to judge LBs as rookies, especially with a just okay at best DL  and a guy in Lou could be one of the worst DCs in the league. Kuchleys are not common. I will judge them this year when they should be able to play more instinctively and not think so much. It is more difficult as as rookie on Defense than on Offense.      

44 minutes ago, JungleJohn said:

I follow the Bengals pretty closely and I have seen nothing from Wilson that exudes chest thumping. He seems to me to be confident and more humble than a chest thumper. 

Right, but if you acknowledge that then you rob fans of the privilege to whine about it.

1 minute ago, stryker57 said:

and you start with gio in the backfield and have the option to spread him out or stay and block.

That’s usually what they did when Burrow was in there. Not nearly as much with Allen. 

Archived