Bengals Free Agency Thread.

On 3/27/2021 at 5:59 PM, JungleJohn said:

I follow the Bengals pretty closely and I have seen nothing from Wilson that exudes chest thumping. He seems to me to be confident and more humble than a chest thumper. 

More the point that I haven't seen any "thumping" going on at all

9 hours ago, Montana Bengal said:

Was just about to post that.  Thanks.

Good signing.

And when I say bring back Margus, I'm not kidding.

He lined up at DT and DE and was a disruptive force in the middle of the line.

Seemed to penetrate every snap, never got knocked back.

I think he batted two Baltimore passes in a row and was instrumental in

the Pittsburgh win.  Didn't he bat a pass that led to an interception?

15 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

Happening everywhere across the league due to the cap going down and then going back up. 

Ah yes - makes sense - I was thinking worst case, ie nobody wants to play here so they sign 1 year to get contract elsewhere type of deal.

The next few years of FA will be interesting given the huge boost to the total revenue from the new TV deals does not really kick in until 2023. Plus some of the Covid cap damage is being pushed out to 2022. 

Interesting times for a few years for sure - does play more into the Bengals model than that of the free spenders. 

But will the Bengals take advantage? I doubt it. Duke Tobin talked a big game before the start of free agency then screwed the pooch. Bengals neither fixed the O-line nor added top talent nor kept their own top free agents, replacing them with players not quite as good.

5 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

But will the Bengals take advantage? I doubt it. Duke Tobin talked a big game before the start of free agency then screwed the pooch. Bengals neither fixed the O-line nor added top talent nor kept their own top free agents, replacing them with players not quite as good.

Lets see them play as a unit before condemning them..

20 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Lets see them play as a unit before condemning them..

But the team is either going to be starting a couple of rookies or XSF and Spain at guard. XSF and Spain are high level backup players but not really starting material (except by comparison to Jordan or Redmond). So if we draft rookie guards, we'll either have to trust them from the start or play backup caliber vets while the rookies get up to speed. Neither bodes well for Burrow's health.

21 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

But the team is either going to be starting a couple of rookies or XSF and Spain at guard. XSF and Spain are high level backup players but not really starting material (except by comparison to Jordan or Redmond). So if we draft rookie guards, we'll either have to trust them from the start or play backup caliber vets while the rookies get up to speed. Neither bodes well for Burrow's health.

What bodes well for JB is to draft Sewell

Slide Wiiliams to LG and hope Hopkins is aok for the start of the season..

I can live with Big Q at RG (and leave him there instead of switching him around every week..)

Alongside Reiff they should be an  allright tandem...

Sewell- Williams- Hopkins-Spain-Reiff..

Helluva lot better starting unit than last year..

8 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

If they take Sewell, I think the plan is to play him at RG his rookie year. 

Why?...

RG is a power spot and they signed Spain for that role..

Insert Sewell as your LT shift Williams to LG where I think hes better suited .

Draft your Landon Dickerson as well.

You now have a good oline...

8 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Why?...

RG is a power spot and they signed Spain for that role..

Insert Sewell as your LT shift Williams to LG where I think hes better suited .

Draft your Landon Dickerson as well.

You now have a good oline...

Because Zac Shula has already said many times that Williams is the LT

5 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Because Zac Shula has already said many times that Williams is the LT

Yeah yeah..that could change once theyre on the clock and the big guy is still there..

Sewell is going to be a better LT than Williams and Williams solidifies the LG..

Two birds with 1 stone to fix the left side ..

36 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Yeah yeah..that could change once theyre on the clock and the big guy is still there..

Sewell is going to be a better LT than Williams and Williams solidifies the LG..

Two birds with 1 stone to fix the left side ..

You are speaking logic and not Bengal; try using only half your mind and it will make sense lol

7 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

The next few years of FA will be interesting given the huge boost to the total revenue from the new TV deals does not really kick in until 2023. Plus some of the Covid cap damage is being pushed out to 2022. 

Interesting times for a few years for sure - does play more into the Bengals model than that of the free spenders. 

Cap expected to be over $220mil next year and Covid year blew up a lot of team’s strategy of deferred payments.  Money just isn’t there for multi year deals since signing bonus would be way higher. 

Archived