Bengals Free Agency Thread.

2 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Because Zac Shula has already said many times that Williams is the LT

If I remember correctly he said Williams is the LT until he isn't. 

If they draft Sewell he will end up there before the end of the season due to injury or the need for an upgrade at the position.

45 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Cap expected to be over $220mil next year and Covid year blew up a lot of team’s strategy of deferred payments.  Money just isn’t there for multi year deals since signing bonus would be way higher. 

And players don't want to sign a long term deal at a lower number.  Take a one year deal and cash in after the fans are back.

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

Cap expected to be over $220mil next year and Covid year blew up a lot of team’s strategy of deferred payments.  Money just isn’t there for multi year deals since signing bonus would be way higher. 

Peter king estimated the cap at $200 next year than $220 in 2023 , if I recall 

38 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

There's very little about this guy I don't like. Obviously, as a fan of the team, I want him to thrive as it will help the overall success but, I also want him to do well because he's such a solid cat.

I have been hearing so much about him only getting coverage or clean up sacks but one thing I like about him over Carl Lawson is his ability to continue to follow the play and QB. I constantly saw Lawson fly off the line of scrimmage (when he figured out how to line up behind it) but blow right by the QB on a bad angle and essentially just flounder around behind the play. Hendrickson seems to come back and stay with the play/QB making him a constant threat. He might not have the initial explosion of Lawson but, I think his tenacity will help him stay successful next season and beyond. Good luck to him.

12 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:

There's very little about this guy I don't like. Obviously, as a fan of the team, I want him to thrive as it will help the overall success but, I also want him to do well because he's such a solid cat.

I have been hearing so much about him only getting coverage or clean up sacks but one thing I like about him over Carl Lawson is his ability to continue to follow the play and QB. I constantly saw Lawson fly off the line of scrimmage (when he figured out how to line up behind it) but blow right by the QB on a bad angle and essentially just flounder around behind the play. Hendrickson seems to come back and stay with the play/QB making him a constant threat. He might not have the initial explosion of Lawson but, I think his tenacity will help him stay successful next season and beyond. Good luck to him.

Exactly.

If they kept stats in running past the quarterback, he would have lead the league.

Now... lets hope we get a good comp pick for him next year.

(And what's a GMFB?)

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

Good vid on Hendrickson thanks. After the vid Mike Daniels GMFB vid popped up from before free agency started, glad we resigned him. Seems like good vet leadership and I thought he played pretty solid coming in when he did and think he will be better this year. And sounds like he is part of an attitude change for the defense.

3 minutes ago, Griever said:

Kay Adams is enough for me to catch that show whenever i can lol

I couldn't agree more, my friend. I watch it every morning. I think the whole crew is solid and enjoy their combination of football news and takes mixed in with some good fun. Kyle Brandt, Peter Schrager, Nate Burleson and Kay Adams are all great in my opinion. I even like their typical "fill ins", specifically Shawn O'Hara and Mike Garafolo. 

On 3/31/2021 at 9:29 PM, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Peter king estimated the cap at $200 next year than $220 in 2023 , if I recall 

It all depends on ticket revenue and that will be a function of whether or not stadiums are at full capacity this year.  If the vaccine works then full stadiums should probably occur in most cities. 

And yes, Kay Adams is very knowledgeable. 

58 minutes ago, SF2 said:

It all depends on ticket revenue and that will be a function of whether or not stadiums are at full capacity this year.  If the vaccine works then full stadiums should probably occur in most cities. 

King noted that in order to have this years cap at $180M they borrowed revenue from the next two years, had they not done this the cap would have dropped to around $150M. Point is there will be revenue this year an next that has already been used

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

As of now, full capacity for outdoor sport is confirmed in TX and (parts of) FL. Officially, it is at 30% in OH. It is only April, so a lot can change of course. 

2 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

King noted that in order to have this years cap at $180M they borrowed revenue from the next two years, had they not done this the cap would have dropped to around $150M. Point is there will be revenue this year an next that has already been used

True but the new broadcast deal has changed those numbers.  

59 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

I think the new deal kicks in 2023? 

It does but since the league knows the numbers now, it can adjust the cap accordingly.  The players would rather some of that money be used cap wise in 2021/22.  These guys all know their career can end tomorrow. 

43 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

He meant on the cheap with performance bonuses, which would be a no brainer. 

Agreed. Couldn't see how this could be a bad move. If he somehow gets back to his old self, the Bengals win like a mofo.  If he doesn't, he retires a Bengal. They need pass rush in the worst way. 

5 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:

Agreed. Couldn't see how this could be a bad move. If he somehow gets back to his old self, the Bengals win like a mofo.  If he doesn't, he retires a Bengal. They need pass rush in the worst way. 

The downside is he would use a roster spot that could be filled by someone better or with more potential and upside.

Why sign him to be inactive a lot of weeks or only get in for 3-4 plays?

Sign him for a day and let him retire a Bengal.  Straight to the Ring of Honor.

6 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

The downside is he would use a roster spot that could be filled by someone better or with more potential and upside.

Why sign him to be inactive a lot of weeks or only get in for 3-4 plays?

Sign him for a day and let him retire a Bengal.  Straight to the Ring of Honor.

Potentially but, we obviously don't know that would be the case. A one year contract is completely harmless. They could cut him for free at any point. Personally, I think there's a better chance of Geno doing something over Josh Tupou or one of the other scrubs we have. I'm not jumping up and down to sign him and if he's going to be the same guy he was last season then there's no point. I really don't think this is going to happen regardless but, I wouldn't see this as a terrible option if it did.

On 4/6/2021 at 12:30 PM, BengalFanInTO said:

Potentially but, we obviously don't know that would be the case. A one year contract is completely harmless. They could cut him for free at any point. Personally, I think there's a better chance of Geno doing something over Josh Tupou or one of the other scrubs we have. I'm not jumping up and down to sign him and if he's going to be the same guy he was last season then there's no point. I really don't think this is going to happen regardless but, I wouldn't see this as a terrible option if it did.

Good logic except for one very pertinent point you made....Josh Tupou is no scrub. If he doesn't make this team as the backup nose, I will be very upset.

Archived