Bengals Free Agency Thread.

Regarding replacing WJIII with Awuzie - the one big thing that WJIII lacks is tackling, and I think that's the "exchange" we're getting here. 

Jackson is a light/slight guy and from day one he showed that while willing to tackle, his body simply doesn't hold up well making NFL hits.  Later when he had lingering arm/shoulder injuries he would simply bail out of tackling/gang tackling on many/most occasions.  The dude has elite athletic ability and is amazing recovering/sticking but when you can't rely on him in your greater scheme to complete his run-D responsibilities you have a problem.  Mix that with Anamoomoo's style/game plan of having an extra DB and relying on a DB-heavy set then you *really* have a problem.  Last year's FA period saw a heavy emphasis on run-stopping on the defensive side and I think it was a statement toward what they thought their main weakness was.    While "better" last year, they still weren't anything special.

It should also be noted that Hilton and Awuzie are both considered accomplished/capable blitzers.

2 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

I like it..

Darius Phillips will be a very good backup too...

I would bet big that Phillips is in the mix to be one of the starters. 
Everyone forgets about him but I gauarantee that he’s 100% in their plans. 
Kid can play. 

Remaining to do list:

* RB: Remaining team FA I'd most like to re-sign - Perine

* P: Re-sign Huber

* DL: Still need a solid DT and another Edge (should be several of both in Rounds 2-4).  Would be willing to bring Daniels or Covington back for DL depth at right price.

* LB: If you don't bring back Bynes you'll need a 2nd Tier FA or mid-round LB

* OL: Three Starters (2 FA's and a High Pick).  Possibly a Mid/Late C/G for depth

* TE/WR: A rotational TE and 3rd WR (One in Draft/One in FA)

2 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

I realize their division is horrible, and so it was kinda by default, but the team with no name did actually make the playoffs last year

I know, but the WFT is probably the most dysfunctional organization in the NFL right now.  They aren't good, haven't been good under current ownership, and likely won't be good any time soon. 

1 minute ago, UncleEarl said:

I know, but the WFT is probably the most dysfunctional organization in the NFL right now.  They aren't good, haven't been good under current ownership, and likely won't be good any time soon. 

He took the best offer..

Monet money money....

7 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

He took the best offer..

Monet money money....

Yes.  Can't blame him.  Probably his only big contract.  Just saying he likely didn't leave for greener pastures as I suggested before.  He wanted the cash. 

41 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

I beg to differ.  They might have the best defense in the league.  They were 7-9 with a revolving door at QB.  Rivera is a very good coach and they still have a lot of cap space. 

Other than QB, the team is in WAY better shape than the Bengals.   I would expect a big move at QB and no, it’s not Fitzmagic. 

They easily win their shit division with average QB play.  They gave Tampa Bay a pretty good game in the wild card round with some guy named Taylor Heineken at QB.  

Anyone know why our main focus in free agency has been replacing two of the rare halfway decent players on our defense?

Side-grade money saving moves will get us nowhere.

May get the extended Blackburn family another European Vacation come November, though.

Untitled-1__44198.1604967050.jpg?c=2&imb

Dad I think they're gonna pork it!

12 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Yes.  Can't blame him.  Probably his only big contract.  Just saying he likely didn't leave for greener pastures as I suggested before.  He wanted the cash. 

Washington is a better team than Cincy and the WFT gets WAY more press than the Siberian Bengals.  He is going to play for a top 5 defense and Ron Rivera.  I would say that is greener pastures. 

5 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Anyone know why our main focus in free agency has been replacing two of the rare halfway decent players on our defense?

Side-grade money saving moves will get us nowhere.

May get the extended Blackburn family another European Vacation come November, though.

Untitled-1__44198.1604967050.jpg?c=2&imb

Dad I think they're gonna pork it!

The market for good defenders was rich the market for good ol was poor. 

2 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Washington is a better team than Cincy and the WFT gets WAY more press than the Siberian Bengals.  

Not a high bar, I think my annual Kiwanis Pancake Breakfast gets more (positive) press than the Bengals.

3 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

The market for good defenders was rich the market for good ol was poor. 

No sale, we just replaced halfway decent players with other. cheaper halfway decent players & that's being optimistic.

We took out some of the trash on OL and have replaced it with wishful thinking. You're not going to convince me that none of the many OL free agents could help this team.  None of our starting 5 have shown to be much above replacement level and we have zero depth behind any of them.   It's the same negligence we saw last year.

I can only imagine they're banking on the fact that JB has another knee.

2 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Not a high bar, I think my annual Kiwanis Pancake Breakfast gets more (positive) press than the Bengals.

I think having the #2 defense last year speaks for itself.  They are going to be a very good club this year. 

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

I beg to differ.  They might have the best defense in the league.  They were 7-9 with a revolving door at QB.  Rivera is a very good coach and they still have a lot of cap space. 

Other than QB, the team is in WAY better shape than the Bengals.   I would expect a big move at QB and no, it’s not Fitzmagic. 

They easily win their shit division with average QB play.  They gave Tampa Bay a pretty good game in the wild card round with some guy named Taylor Heineken at QB.  

Yep. Rivera is a good coach and if they find a QB they'll be a better team than Philly, NYG, maybe Dallas. If they sign a couple of receivers and trade up for Mac Jones, they'll be a legit team in 2021. Their defense is now set with Jackson added and a fearsome D-line. 

2 hours ago, SF2 said:

I think having the #2 defense last year speaks for itself.  They are going to be a very good club this year. 

Shouldn't have much trouble running their division, at least

Crazy to think we're likely to be fighting with Pittsburgh over the cellar in ours

8 hours ago, SF2 said:

Washington is a better team than Cincy and the WFT gets WAY more press than the Siberian Bengals.  He is going to play for a top 5 defense and Ron Rivera.  I would say that is greener pastures. 

Synder will screw it up.  The place is a gongshow.  Rivera is holding it together, and putting together a good defense, but he struggles mightily on offense talent or not.  Rivera had Cam Newton when his physical tools were supreme.  I don't have much faith in him.  If Jackson wanted to win he would have gone to a solid organization, the WFT is not one of those.

7 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Yep. Rivera is a good coach and if they find a QB they'll be a better team than Philly, NYG, maybe Dallas. If they sign a couple of receivers and trade up for Mac Jones, they'll be a legit team in 2021. Their defense is now set with Jackson added and a fearsome D-line. 

Now if you want to see a poorly managed roster look no further than Dallas.  They have 56 mil in cap being used at starting QB, #1 WR and RB.  The Chiefs have $26 mil.  I think I would take Mahomes, Hill, Edwards-Helaire, and $30mil extra (to get guys like Thuney) vs Dak, Cooper and Elliott.  

6 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Synder will screw it up.  The place is a gongshow.  Rivera is holding it together, and putting together a good defense, but he struggles mightily on offense talent or not.  Rivera had Cam Newton when his physical tools were supreme.  I don't have much faith in him.  If Jackson wanted to win he would have gone to a solid organization, the WFT is not one of those.

I don’t doubt Snyder can screw this up but the team is one decent player away from 10 to 12 wins.  Hell, Dalton could have been that guy.  Don’t forget, the team started off the season 1-5 with Haskins and ended up 7-9.  

Archived