Bengals Free Agency Thread.

8 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I think you are going to have to come to terms with the idea of Joe Burrow on IR & let go of your balanced offense biases.

I think you have me mistaken with someone who thinks there is absolutely no way to protect Burrow if we don't draft OT top 5.

2 hours ago, High School Harry said:

I'll settle for him being here for 10 games.

Still have serious doubts about the lad and hope I'm wrong.

Now this is a different conversation. 

You have doubts. 

Do the coaching staff?

Despite T-Dubb being over the top about him missing time last year, they did say that had they played games that mattered in the end of the season he would have been back, instead choosing to shut him down. Which means he missed his rookie year, and a few games last year.  He ended up playing 10 games, and likely would have returned if the season mattered, for reference Andrew Whitworth played 9.

1 hour ago, spicoli said:

I have no idea who this guy is or what connections he has so take it however you like..

Gio is one of my favorite Bengals, but he's,29. If they can strike now and get maybe a 3rd round pick for him, I take it. 

Of course if they do that they need to take another RB.

12 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Gio is one of my favorite Bengals, but he's,29. If they can strike now and get maybe a 3rd round pick for him, I take it. 

Of course if they do that they need to take another RB.

I take it your not high on Treyveon Williams taking Gio's role.

If not ..why?

2 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

I take it your not high on Treyveon Williams taking Gio's role.

If not ..why?

Just didn't show me much last year. I'd also like to get a guy who can catch out the backfield like Gio and Mixon both could do. 

There are a million RBs that can be had in the 6th and 7th who profile to bring what Gio does. 

Frankly, I am stunned that there may be a market for a 29-year-old Gio with the contract that he carries. If they can get something for him, good by me.  

I can’t see any team trading a 3rd or 4th round pick for Gio and, if that’s the case, I’d keep him. They don’t and won’t need the cap space unless something shocking happens signing wise and I’m not expecting that. Great pass blocker, solid 3rd down back, proven leader with football smarts. I’m OK with him moving but unless there is value in return, there’s not much point.

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

Despite T-Dubb being over the top about him missing time last year, 

And the entire year before that.

LOL yeah that crazy TDub, I just can't understand why he doesn't think an LT that's missed twice as many games as he played since entering the league isn't the future of the franchise.  What a loony!

I think you have me mistaken with someone who thinks there is absolutely no way to protect Burrow if we don't draft OT top 5.

I think you responded to the wrong post, we were talking about play calling not draft picks.

Try and focus, ok?

Just now, T-Dub said:

And the entire year before that.

LOL yeah that crazy TDub, I just can't understand why he doesn't think an LT that's missed twice as many games as he played since entering the league isn't the future of the franchise.  What a loony!

It's not unprecedented for guys to get hurt coming into the league and miss their rookie year. I wont hold his rookie year against him, I'm more concerned with how he played last year, and he was the best linemen on that bad line. 

Ultimately the Bengals have to decide if they believe he can be the LT of the future or if he would be better suited at a different spot. I simply am suggesting that when Taylor says he will be playing that spot this year, I believe him. As such I look at what is the value of the other spots on the line and can we get players at where those spots have good value?

Of do we have to sell out the farm for a Right Tackle who wont even be playing Right Tackle this year, at #5? 

Especially when its the 13th most valuable position on the team.

Call me crazy.  

4 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I think you responded to the wrong post, we were talking about play calling not draft picks.

Try and focus, ok?

I'm completely focused, see the post I just responded to you with. 

You have your line in the sand that if we dont draft a T at 5 we might as well throw away the season because it 100% means were going to get Joe Burrow hurt, it simply is not possible to upgrade the line and keep him safe at 38.

5 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

You have your line in the sand that if we dont draft a T at 5 we might as well throw away the season because it 100% means were going to get Joe Burrow hurt, it simply is not possible to upgrade the line and keep him safe at 38.

Yes it is at 38..

Id rather it be 5 though..😎

2 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Yes it is at 38..

Id rather it be 5 though..😎

I have no preference to be honest. 

If they take Sewell then Taylor wasn't being honest, about Williams playing LT, or if he was then Sewell playing guard or even RT to me isnt something I hate at all, I just feel like if they take Sewell at 5 then put him at LT now and move Williams to his eventual long term spot now. It doesn't make much sense to me for Williams to play a 2nd year at LT if that's not going to be his long term spot. 

I suppose I'm not entirely honest here. 

If they are going to take a T in 1, I'd prefer they move down and get Slater to be the RT of the future. But only if they aren't lying about Williams playing LT this year.

But if they dont and they take a skill position player at 5 and a T at 38, I'm not going to lose my shit over it and say we just ended Burrow's season because he will just get hurt again.

Not sure where you got all this as I'm leaning towards a trade down. Too many holes on the roster.

However, if they're going to pick at 5 and the choice is between the best OT, WR, or big-WR-that-is-kind-of-slow-for-a-top-5-wr-so-lets-call-him-a-TE-that-doesnt-block... The answer should be obvious if the goal is to keep the QB upright.

As a separate note, asking that QB to throw 40+ attempts every week behind last year's OL was fucking stupid.

Given that our team seems fixated on that kindnof game plan the choice is even more obvious.

Problem?

59 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

So many players with lower times than expected..

Is that why theyre calling it all "unofficial" ?

I think guys almost always magically run faster at their school's pro day vs the combine.

Either way highly skeptical of a guy most have clocked in the 4.6+ range suddenly posting a 4.4

Not that 40 time is all that important in the end (hello Mr. Ross) but let's keep it real.

1 hour ago, claptonrocks said:

So many players with lower times than expected..

Is that why theyre calling it all "unofficial" ?

I have no idea what the parameters are. If I had to make a guess I’d say laser timed = official. 

5 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Just didn't show me much last year. I'd also like to get a guy who can catch out the backfield like Gio and Mixon both could do. 

I have to disagree.

He averaged 4ypc without the 55 yard run..

I dont know if you read nfl draft network on analyzing but read on Williams..

If you look at draft scout they're allmost the same player..

Cept...Treyvein  is younger fresher and cheaper..

I think hes ready for the challenge..

On 3/24/2021 at 10:41 PM, MichaelWeston said:

This is not accurate. 

We were on pace for the most yards ever last year with AJ Green being terrible. Anyone who isn't a negative is an upgrade. A stud OT effects this team for 10 years

The analytics say otherwise.

10 hours ago, membengal said:

There are a million RBs that can be had in the 6th and 7th who profile to bring what Gio does. 

Frankly, I am stunned that there may be a market for a 29-year-old Gio with the contract that he carries. If they can get something for him, good by me.  

Not on blitz pickup.  That's the biggest reason he's our 3rd down back.

23 minutes ago, membengal said:

You don’t keep him at 29 with his contract if you have someone willing to send a pick or a valuable player. They paid Mixon, a lot. Time for him to earn it.

Boom!

If you can get something for him now (hopefully decent) do it

rather than wait a year or so and end up getting nothing and/or cutting him.

There's two youngercheaper guys already on the team who could step up.

I believe there are some more successful teams who trade players who are on

the cusp and ready for the decline rather than waiting.

Love Gio, great career but age is about to catch up with him and freeing
up the money would be nice.

Archived