Bengals Free Agency Thread.

10 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Not sure where you got all this as I'm leaning towards a trade down. Too many holes on the roster.

However, if they're going to pick at 5 and the choice is between the best OT, WR, or big-WR-that-is-kind-of-slow-for-a-top-5-wr-so-lets-call-him-a-TE-that-doesnt-block... The answer should be obvious if the goal is to keep the QB upright.

As a separate note, asking that QB to throw 40+ attempts every week behind last year's OL was fucking stupid.

Given that our team seems fixated on that kindnof game plan the choice is even more obvious.

Problem?

We actually arent super far apart. I want them to trade down as well, but not out of the top 10, as you lose the chance at very good players moving out of the top 10. I'm actually hoping for the scenario I posted that we trade down and pick up Slater and a extra 3rd rounder.

But if they don't I also see the value in getting an offensive weapon and addressing the line in round 2, as it sounds like they plan on playing Willams at LT again and I don't see the value in having a logjam at one specific position or playing Willams at LT if we draft Sewell and move Willams after next year.

As others have stated Burrow had a plethora of weapons at LSU that he was able to take advantage of, and by going empty set which is his favorite formation, you spread the D out where it makes it easier to see what is coming and allow him to get rid of the ball much more quickly.  That said I still want to upgrade the line and in fact am in favor of taking more than one Tackle to do it. Meaning unless there is a guy playing the guard position that is far and away better than any Tackle, I like the idea of taking a Right Tackle for the future in a guy like Slater, and then using the extra 3rd round pick in my proposal to take another tackle in this deep tackle class, that you would convert to guard but could then swing out to play tackle if either Williams or Slater got hurt.

4 hours ago, Jason said:

Not on blitz pickup.  That's the biggest reason he's our 3rd down back.

This.  Bernard is the kind of guy that wins games for a good team.  He may be an afterthought on a bad team like the Bengals, but the ability to rest your #1 RB and know the next guy will do everything right is huge.  You can't plug in young, inexperienced backs and get that.  Bernard would also be of greater value for a team that throws to the RBs more than the Bengals.  The guy is nails and other teams know it and are willing to pay the money. 

It amazes me that folks say they want to protect Burrow, but are willing to risk his health on some young RB who may or may not pick up NFL defensive linemen and linebackers that flow through the OL. 

3 minutes ago, spicoli said:

What was the point in drafting Traveon Williams if you're not going to let him develop and play at some point? 

Winning games is the point. 

The guy is a sixth round pick.  He has to prove it in practice before he gets to do it in a game. You hope a sixth rounder can develop and play, but often those guys are expect to be depth and play special teams.

I'll miss Gio.  He's the last RB we had that Anderson had a hand in drafting and, if I'm not mistaken, training.  Anderson was one of the greatest RB coaches in the entire NFL.  I can only hope that whomever takes the reigns of our RB has aspirations of greatness in the vein of an Anderson RB.

21 minutes ago, spicoli said:

What was the point in drafting Traveon Williams if you're not going to let him develop and play at some point? 

The point was to see if he would be good. And they don't believe he has been. He was also connected to our previous terrible OL coach. 

5 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Time for someone else to step up then. They have way too much money tied up in that position. 

Do the Bengals have cap issues?  Am I missing something?  Why make your team worse when you don't have to?

What are they going to get for Bernard?  A third or worse?  If Zach Taylor and Mike Brown want to win games this year they shouldn't trade Bernard.  If I were Taylor or Burrow I would stand on my head to keep him.

Just now, UncleEarl said:

Do the Bengals have cap issues?  Am I missing something?  Why make your team worse when you don't have to?

What are they going to get for Bernard?  A third or worse?  If Zach Taylor and Mike Brown want to win games this year they shouldn't trade Bernard.  If I were Taylor or Burrow I would stand on my head to keep him.

It really only makes sense if Bernard wants to go play for the Bucs and we get a 4th rounder or something useful. Late round pics are useless. 

1 minute ago, MichaelWeston said:

It really only makes sense if Bernard wants to go play for the Bucs and we get a 4th rounder or something useful. Late round pics are useless. 

I would agree that Bernard deserves that respect if he wants to go to a winner, but it's a big risk to just plug in some 6th round pick who hasn't proven much of anything. 

3 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

I don't get that response. They see him in practice all the time. They know a lot more than we do. I would love for him to work but Dehner in his pod every time he is brought up says he is probably done here. 

Which player are you referring to as he is done here?

9 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

For a guy that’s a part time good blocker? They’re mostly in the spread so it’s not like he gets a ton of opportunities to even get out there and do his thing. 
Plus, like someone else said, it’s time for Mixon to get out there and earn that big paycheck. 

6 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

I would agree that Bernard deserves that respect if he wants to go to a winner, but it's a big risk to just plug in some 6th round pick who hasn't proven much of anything. 

When Mixon was healthy though this staff under-utilized Gio and if the if would be the same going forwrad you might as well trade him. 

Just now, spicoli said:

For a guy that’s a part time good blocker? They’re mostly in the spread so it’s not like he gets a ton of opportunities to even get out there and do his thing. 

Bernard is more than that.  He is a good RB, not a feature guy anymore, but a guy you can count on.  You need a backup that you know can play.  Why do you think other teams are inquiring?  If the Bengals can fix their pass protection they could actually use Bernard more by sending him in motion, but that's not the way things have been the past couple years.

4 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

Sure it does. Our coaches scout more than any team in the league, have a huge say in who we draft and he was essentially the run game coordinator. 

So he sucks because Turner recommended him....got it 👍

2 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

When Mixon was healthy though this staff under-utilized Gio and if the if would be the same going forwrad you might as well trade him. 

So, you're assuming Mixon will be healthy and play all 17 games?  Big assumption.

Archived