Bengals Free Agency Thread.

8 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Yes but...no coach..😎

I can think of a few plays as exceptions but IDK if I'd ever seen a LB group be so invisible on the field.  It was like having a trio of traffic cones out there, only noticeable when someone ran around, over, or through them.

9 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Tough to be a LB with no DL in front of you..

Also true.  I'm a fan of Hubbard but with Geno & Lawson both gone now the talent level behind him goes off a cliff.

Was joking at first but I'm honestly starting to wonder if we're not going to be in some kind of goofy-ass quarter defense as a base.

2 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I'm a fan of Hubbard but with Geno & Lawson both gone now the talent level behind him goes off a cliff.

Huh? Hendrickson had more sacks by himself last year than Hubbard, Lawson and Geno combined.

The best thing that can possibly happen for this D is getting Reader back and 100%. Him and Ogunjobi will be the two guys responsible for keeping the LB's clean. That would be a huge improvement over street FA's like Christian Covington and Xavier Williams starting.

13 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Also true.  I'm a fan of Hubbard but with Geno & Lawson both gone now the talent level behind him goes off a cliff.

Was joking at first but I'm honestly starting to wonder if we're not going to be in some kind of goofy-ass quarter defense as a base.

Hubbard is a top notch run defender.

Had a 80% win rate against the run ..1st among all DEs...

Awhile back i saw him as a 6-7 sack guy ..nothings changed.

They signed a sacker in Hendrickson

They signed a 3tech in Ogunjobi

Renell Wren is another edge defender to rotate with Hubbard..

Thet need another pass rusher that can actually get sacks..

Theres talk about their interest for Milton Williams . 

1 minute ago, crazycat said:

I guess they fell the young LB's they drafted last year will be enough??  I'd like Bynes back as well, plus at least one thumper, need that in our division. 

I swear the Burfict drama made them afraid to field someone like that again.

Only Pittsburgh are allowed to have that type of player.

2 minutes ago, crazycat said:

I guess they fell the young LB's they drafted last year will be enough??  I'd like Bynes back as well, plus at least one thumper, need that in our division. 

They think they have a thumper at the mike in Logan Wilson.(6'2 245lbs)

1 hour ago, BengalFanInTO said:

Erroneous. Bengals played a 3 WR set more than any other set on 3rd down last season (72% of the time) like most NFL teams. Nice try though.

Could it be they played 3 receiver sets on third because it was 3rd and Long 72% of the time??

No run game means more 3rd and long for the most part..

1 hour ago, BengalFanInTO said:

Erroneous. Bengals played a 3 WR set more than any other set on 3rd down last season (72% of the time) like most NFL teams. Nice try though.

Yeah with a RB in motion and an empty backfield.

This year they'll be running even more empty sets...especially if they end up with Chase or Pitts. 

31 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Huh? Hendrickson had more sacks by himself last year than Hubbard, Lawson and Geno combined.

You may recall that Hendrickson was playing on the Saints #2 defense last year and not the Bengals #, well, whatever.  Not quite a fair comparison.

1 hour ago, Montana Bengal said:

Looking more and more like we are going to get the player we want. Jets and Atlanta are the only ones who might not take a QB, as SF doesn't move up to not take a guy.

15 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

You may recall that Hendrickson was playing on the Saints #2 defense last year and not the Bengals #, well, whatever.  Not quite a fair comparison.

Other than Coy Bacon back in the days before sacks were stats, no one in this franchise has ever had 13.5 sacks in a season. I think maybe Dunlap hit 13 once. There are plenty of other really good DE's though on good defenses that never hit that mark in their careers.

Crazy to minimize something like that. 

6 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Looking more and more like we are going to get the player we want. Jets and Atlanta are the only ones who might not take a QB, as SF doesn't move up to not take a guy.

There's NO WAY it's not Chase at this point. Burrow is already pounding the table for him, anyone believe they're going to say no?

Maybe if Fields is sitting there and they get a great offer to move back, that's the only way he's not a Bengal, IMO.

1 minute ago, spicoli said:

There's NO WAY it's not Chase at this point. Burrow is already pounding the table for him, anyone believe they're going to say no?

Maybe if Fields is sitting there and they get a great offer to move back, that's the only way he's not a Bengal, IMO.

I think you're right.

Also think it's incredibly shortsighted, but hey it's what JB wants and they're his knees after all.  He can shred them if he wants to!

8 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Other than Coy Bacon back in the days before sacks were stats, no one in this franchise has ever had 13.5 sacks in a season. I think maybe Dunlap hit 13 once. There are plenty of other really good DE's though on good defenses that never hit that mark in their careers.

Crazy to minimize something like that. 

I don't think it's minimizing it to point out the difference in production we're likely to see on this defense vs. his old one.  Doesn't mean he sucks, but a lot of the people he'll be playing with now kinda do...  Plus our DC's schemes have been a soup sandwich thus far.

4 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I think you're right.

Also think it's incredibly shortsighted, but hey it's what JB wants and they're his knees after all.  He can shred them if he wants to!

I'm not a believer in Sewell so missing out on him is a-okay with me.

I'd love to trade back for one of Slater/Darrisaw/Vera-Tucker but if it doesn't happen I'm fine with a talent like Chase. This draft is loaded with OL talent, they'll still have plenty of opportunities to make that group better. 

1 minute ago, spicoli said:

I'm not a believer in Sewell so missing out on him is a-okay with me.

I'd love to trade back for one of Slater/Darrisaw/Vera-Tucker but if it doesn't happen I'm fine with a talent like Chase. This draft is loaded with OL talent, they'll still have plenty of opportunities to make that group better. 

Also like what I've read about Slater.  Someone with the potential to play any spot on the OL sounds like exactly what we need. Another WR is pretty meh in my opinion when we have Higgins, Boyd, and just extended 2 others.  

Putting the cart before the horse (and then never getting the horse) is kind of what we do though.

Archived