Jump to content

Bengals Free Agency Thread.


Recommended Posts

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/cincinnati-bengals-issue-jersey-numbers-to-free-agent-signings

 

CINCINNATI — The Bengals signed seven unrestricted free agents this offseason. From Trey Hendrickson to Chidobe Awuzie—they all have new jersey numbers. Hendrickson will wear No. 91, which isn't surprising considering he signed a four-year, $60 million contract with Cincinnati this offseason. Two other players wore that number in 2019 and 2020, respectively and both are still on the roster. 
 

Veteran Josh Tupou, who opted of the 2020 campaign, changed his number to 68. Amani Bledsoe wore No. 91 last season, but he changed his number to 93. Cornerback Mike Hilton will wear No. 21, while Awuzie will wear No. 22. Defensive tackle Larry Ogunjobi will wear No. 65. Riley Reiff is sticking with No. 71. Isaiah Prince will wear No. 79 after opting out of the 2020 season. 

Veteran corner Eli Apple will wear No. 20. Safety Ricardo Allen will be No. 37. Tight end Thaddeus Moss, who was claimed on waivers last week, will wear No. 81.

 

 

Check out the entire list of new numbers/changes below:

 

Eli Apple: 20 

Mike Hilton: 21 

Chidobe Awuzie: 22 

Ricardo Allen: 37 

Larry Ogunjobi: 65 

Josh Tupou: 68 

Riley Reiff: 71 

Isaiah Prince: 79 

Thaddeus Moss: 81 

Trey Hendrickson: 91 

Amani Bledsoe: 93

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know that quite a few don't like giving out all the one-year deals as opposed to going for a more permanent solution.  The way I look at it, this roster is too leaky to fix long-term in one draft (and the roster is still the key to building the roster).  This is especially true with out adding more premium picks.

 

I see the one-year signings as bandaids, but bandaid that can stabilize thins until more permanent answers can be found next year (and who's to say the 1yrs can't be re-upped).  There are still a handful of guys out there that I believe can be a great deal of help (Turner, Kerrigan, Houston, etc.) and would really like to see the team make a statement by signing at least one on each side of the ball in the next couple of weeks.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, snarkster said:

I know that quite a few don't like giving out all the one-year deals as opposed to going for a more permanent solution.  The way I look at it, this roster is too leaky to fix long-term in one draft (and the roster is still the key to building the roster).  This is especially true with out adding more premium picks.

 

I see the one-year signings as bandaids, but bandaid that can stabilize thins until more permanent answers can be found next year (and who's to say the 1yrs can't be re-upped).  There are still a handful of guys out there that I believe can be a great deal of help (Turner, Kerrigan, Houston, etc.) and would really like to see the team make a statement by signing at least one on each side of the ball in the next couple of weeks.

Good points..

The FAs you mentioned may have bern contacted and for reasons declined to play here...

I was big on G Larry Warfield but he doesnt seem to be to interested in signing with any team right now..

He could be waiting postdraft to see where his best desination will be..

Ive grown into liking these 1yr show me deals for now as theyll have to showout this year to maximize their longterm contracts. 

 

 

.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Good points..

The FAs you mentioned may have bern contacted and for reasons declined to play here...

I was big on G Larry Warfield but he doesnt seem to be to interested in signing with any team right now..

He could be waiting postdraft to see where his best desination will be..

Ive grown into liking these 1yr show me deals for now as theyll have to showout this year to maximize their longterm contracts. 

 

 

.

I think league wide, over 50% of the free agent contracts signed this year are one year deals. I think everyone wants to see that the salary cap is going to be next year before making a long term commitment on both the owners' and players' parts. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Shebengal said:

I think league wide, over 50% of the free agent contracts signed this year are one year deals. I think everyone wants to see that the salary cap is going to be next year before making a long term commitment on both the owners' and players' parts. 

Yes..its an  intetesting thought that 

so many players will be laying it ALL Out there for that big payday..

Seems itll up the intensity of play thruout each team and the league as a whole..

Gotta like that..

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, membengal said:

 

 

 
Over the weekend some #Chiefs players reached out to free agent WR Dede Westbrook to engage his interest in coming to Kansas City. Meanwhile, both the #Vikings & the #Bengals have had preliminary conversations with Westbrook as well. Westbrook was a 2016 Biletnikoff award winner.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, TigerJ@w said:

So we are not set at WR?  🤔 

Ideally, in my world, they would have drafted another. I don't think they are set - they could use more speed and they also need to replace Erickson. I am not mad they spent 7 picks on each side of the line, but they do need more in the WR room in my opinion. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, membengal said:

Ideally, in my world, they would have drafted another. I don't think they are set - they could use more speed and they also need to replace Erickson. I am not mad they spent 7 picks on each side of the line, but they do need more in the WR room in my opinion. 

Signing Deede Westbrook would be huge....hes good..

 

Quality backup slot to Boyd and another weapon in ZT's 4 receivers schemes..

 

Vikings need a Starting slot though.....

 

Lets hope they sign him Instead of the Chiefs and Vikings..

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, membengal said:

Ideally, in my world, they would have drafted another. I don't think they are set - they could use more speed and they also need to replace Erickson. I am not mad they spent 7 picks on each side of the line, but they do need more in the WR room in my opinion. 

Yea, that was exactly my thought, then why did they not draft one? FAs you are competing against other teams as we all know, but it is a challenging job for you know who, especially this late in the game.  If they wanted this guy, why not do it a while ago?  Like right after FA started? Did they think they were going to draft more than one? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Westbrook had a really bad knee injury.  I am guessing he isn’t running 4.39 40s anymore.  Jacksonville not trying too hard to re-sign and letting him go is a pretty good indicator he isn’t 100%

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Westbrook had a really bad knee injury.  I am guessing he isn’t running 4.39 40s anymore.  Jacksonville not trying too hard to re-sign and letting him go is a pretty good indicator he isn’t 100%

I did some checking on Westbrook after your comment and I agree..

They replaced him in the rotation in 2020 as well..

Red flags there...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Love to have a good backup slot..

 

Im not sure who's 2nd string slot is right now..

Mike Thomas?

 

After the top three the Bengals WRs are really short on experience.  (Well, maybe outside of Boyd) Drafting another on day 3 isn't likely to give you a guy you can expect to play very soon.  They should sign a guy who is a good teammate, and knows what he is doing. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

 

After the top three the Bengals WRs are really short on experience.  (Well, maybe outside of Boyd) Drafting another on day 3 isn't likely to give you a guy you can expect to play very soon.  They should sign a guy who is a good teammate, and knows what he is doing. 

So whos the backup slot right now in your opinion?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TigerJ@w said:

Yea, that was exactly my thought, then why did they not draft one? FAs you are competing against other teams as we all know, but it is a challenging job for you know who, especially this late in the game.  If they wanted this guy, why not do it a while ago?  Like right after FA started? Did they think they were going to draft more than one? 

I mean, everyone complains that they never invest enough in the lines, hard to kill them for finally doing so. Up until the Monday after the draft any free agent signings counted in terms of compensation picks - so once it became clear they had one in hand from FA losses outweighing their FA signings - any additional FA signings were gonna wait until after the draft. Westbrook (or, say, Stills) not worth signing and messing up a potential 3rd or 4th round comp pick next year - but they can pursue them now and not mess with that. 

 

I hope they sign at least one legit vet FA wide receiver still. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, membengal said:

I mean, everyone complains that they never invest enough in the lines, hard to kill them for finally doing so. Up until the Monday after the draft any free agent signings counted in terms of compensation picks - so once it became clear they had one in hand from FA losses outweighing their FA signings - any additional FA signings were gonna wait until after the draft. Westbrook (or, say, Stills) not worth signing and messing up a potential 3rd or 4th round comp pick next year - but they can pursue them now and not mess with that. 

 

I hope they sign at least one legit vet FA wide receiver still. 

Good post tks.

You think they need another wideout before a slot ?

Or both?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Good post tks.

You think they need another wideout before a slot ?

Or both?

 

I would take a speed guy and a slot still in FA. I see some murmuring that maybe Evans can play slot - I would not like that as a the primary plan to back-up Boyd myself. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, membengal said:

I would take a speed guy and a slot still in FA. I see some murmuring that maybe Evans can play slot - I would not like that as a the primary plan to back-up Boyd myself. 

Neither would I..

 

Actually I don't trust any of the backups if they have to play extensively due to injuries..

Mike Thomas and Auden Tate are vet backups and meh  at best..

 

Looking back on the draft as much as I wanted Sewell, Chase was the better choice for the team..

Our cupboard was getting bare of wideouts..

So they drafted the best one..

 

All teams face depth problems..

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, membengal said:

I would take a speed guy and a slot still in FA. I see some murmuring that maybe Evans can play slot - I would not like that as a the primary plan to back-up Boyd myself. 

There will be a few more cap casualties here shortly.  We should be able to pick up a decent WR to add some depth.  Finding a decent outside receiver might be wishful thinking though. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...