Zack Taylor Press Conference

2 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Sounds like Jonah Williams is staying at LT.

I saw that and it felt more like the thing a coach says before he knows of any other changes to come, i.e. he's not going to piss off Jonah now by saying "we'll put the best players at the best positions" or some such, when they might not have an LT replacement for him in the end anyway.  Express confidence in Jonah being the LT, make the decision to move him if it ever comes to it.

6 minutes ago, HavePityPlease said:

I saw that and it felt more like the thing a coach says before he knows of any other changes to come, i.e. he's not going to piss off Jonah now by saying "we'll put the best players at the best positions" or some such, when they might not have an LT replacement for him in the end anyway.  Express confidence in Jonah being the LT, make the decision to move him if it ever comes to it.

Your probably right in Taylor saying all the right things about Jonah..

He did play well at LT for a first year starter so even drafting Sewell could see him stay at LT with Sewell merging in at RT to see how that works initially..

If Sewell performs well Maybe they switch..

Good to know we have 2 tackles that can play either side..

If they draft Sewell, this has the potential to become a serious issue.

Jonah Williams wants to stay at LT for the obvious next big contract payday.

I actually haven't been impressed with him at LT since he has been here.

He knows RT make less than the LT.

If the Bengals draft Sewell and put him at RT, will they decide to move him to LT, if Williams doesn't pan out at LT?

If they do decide move Sewell to LT after playing RT, he will command LT money (see Ravens LT/RT Orlando Brown Jr.)

Williams would probably be a better guard, but he already knows this organization doesn't value guards.

16 minutes ago, SmoothD said:

If they draft Sewell, this has the potential to become a serious issue.

Jonah Williams wants to stay at LT for the obvious next big contract payday.

I actually haven't been impressed with him at LT since he has been here.

He knows RT make less than the LT.

If the Bengals draft Sewell and put him at RT, will they decide to move him to LT, if Williams doesn't pan out at LT?

If they do decide move Sewell to LT after playing RT, he will command LT money (see Ravens LT/RT Orlando Brown Jr.)

Williams would probably be a better guard, but he already knows this organization doesn't value guards.

Jonah played well last year for a first time starter.

I dont view it as serious..

I like the idea of two good tackles in the lineup wherever they play..

9 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Jonah played well last year for a first time starter.

I dont view it as serious..

I like the idea of two good tackles in the lineup wherever they play..

Has Sewell played RT before?

3 minutes ago, SmoothD said:

Has Sewell played RT before?

I dont think so..

Look if Jonah plays RT abd Sewell goes to LT im fine with that too..

Just want to start two tackles I believe in..

Add Thuney and Zeitler and we have our oline unit to protect JB and open gaps for Mixon..

Any receiver would florish as well...

11 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

It could also mean that Sewell isnt the pick and Slater is, Slater from what I have read lines up better as a RT

I believe he could be a very good guard or even center if he has the mental capacity to set up the line ..

I think hes a smallish tackle with short arms..

3 hours ago, High School Harry said:

I just want to see Jonah stay off of IR for a change.

Shhh we don't talk about that now.  This is the time of year where we pretend like that never happened. We can call it "Eifert Spring".

Wait to see if he goes to IR for a 3rd consecutive season, then bemoan our "bad luck".  It's what we do.

22 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Shhh we don't talk about that now.  This is the time of year where we pretend like that never happened. We can call it "Eifert Spring".

Wait to see if he goes to IR for a 3rd consecutive season, then bemoan our "bad luck".  It's what we do.

Ref Chris "Crystal" Perry who deserves serious consideration in the Ring of Shame thread.

1 hour ago, claptonrocks said:

Cause he was injured?...

Yeah disappointing as he was it's not his fault the team refused to give up on him.   I'd be more than happy to take a couple mil off the Brown Family Trust to not play RB.  

No, it was the Bengals fault they took Perry in round 1.  See Feinstein's book "Next Man Up". He was in the Ravens draft room when the Bengals took Perry and they laughed because they had scouts who attended Michigan practices and knew he was fragile.  Bengals didn't have scouts regularly at practice, the Michigan coaches gave Perry good reviews and the rest is history. 

Geez...typical Bengals fans. Pulling the chute on our 1st Round LT from 2019 who was highly regarded as the best offensive lineman in the draft. Yeah, he was hurt. So now just move him or shit, it would seem to some, just get rid of him. I remember when many Bengals fans wanted to move Whitworth to OG, too. I just shake my head.  

5 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:

Geez...typical Bengals fans. Pulling the chute on our 1st Round LT from 2019 who was highly regarded as the best offensive lineman in the draft. Yeah, he was hurt. So now just move him or shit, it would seem to some just get rid of him. I just shake my head.  

Hes a solid LT who should improve even more..

Question is if they draft Sewell what is the best positional tandem in year one..

Take the pressure off Sewell to protect blindside as a rookie and let him play RT in power game..

Having both could be a luxury soon..

11 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Hes a solid LT who should improve even more..

Question is if they draft Sewell what is the best positional tandem in year one..

Take the pressure off Sewell to protect blindside as a rookie and let him play RT in power game..

Having both could be a luxury soon..

I'd like to see what Williams can do with a proper offensive line coach and (hopefully) a healthy season. Personally, I hope they solidify the line with a guy like Darryl Williams to play RT, Joe Thuney and/or Zeitler and then take Pitts in the first round. I have been saying for ages TE is a much bigger need than most realize. I agree protecting Burrow is top priority but it can't be the sole focus. Cut CJ Uzomah, too.

I just think it's hilarious that some people want to write Williams off and start moving him around the line after 10 career games and take another LT in the first round two years later.

5 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:

I'd like to see what Williams can do with a proper offensive line coach and (hopefully) a healthy season. Personally, I hope they solidify the line with a guy like Darryl Williams to play RT, Joe Thuney and/or Zeitler and then take Pitts in the first round. I have been saying for ages TE is a much bigger need than most realize. I agree protecting Burrow is top priority but it can't be the sole focus. Cut CJ Uzomah, too.

I just think it's hilarious that some people want to write Williams off and start moving him around the line after 10 career games and take another LT in the first round two years later.

Zach Taylor has mentioned more than 

once Jonah is his LT..

I tend to believe him..

Edited..

You mentioned oline coach..

We Now have...a Good one..

Improvement will come by his teachings..

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

No, it was the Bengals fault they took Perry in round 1.  See Feinstein's book "Next Man Up". He was in the Ravens draft room when the Bengals took Perry and they laughed because they had scouts who attended Michigan practices and knew he was fragile.  Bengals didn't have scouts regularly at practice, the Michigan coaches gave Perry good reviews and the rest is history. 

Wasn't it RB coach Jim Anderson who really wanted Chris Perry?

If I'm not mistaken, the thing that impressed Jim Anderson the most was Perry's 51 carries and 219 yards game against Michigan State.

Sadly, the wheels literally fell off by the time he became a Bengal

45 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:

I think the only sober and consistent thought anyone should have is - if we can upgrade a position, we do it.  That's most certainly what Taylor thinks and as of now the best LT he has is Jonah Williams.  Williams had some worrying moments in the season, most especially because he uses somewhat obvious techniques to offset a lack of bulk.  Some guys took advantage of it and countered him badly.  Despite that I think he was solid and I'm fine if he's the LT going into the season.  The real worrying bit about him, as some have said, is the question of whether or not he can stay healthy.  So far: not, and for that reason alone it's more than fair to think the Bengals should consider upgrading the spot because arguably it's the most important position on the team wrt Joe Burrow being successful.

Archived