In light of Katrina

Guest BengalBacker

Guest BengalBacker
Should people who live in disaster prone areas have to pay higher local taxes to to a fund that will cover more of the cost in the aftermath? Why should so much in federal tax dollars go to bail out those who choose to live in an area prone to disaster? Not to mention insurance rates that go up for everyone when these things happen.

Before anyone gets all bent out of shape, I'm not saying the federal government shouldn't do all they can to help in times like these. What I'm saying is, shouldn't those who choose to put themselves at risk bear the brunt of the cost?

Florida has no state income tax, right? Because tourism makes it "unnecessary". Why not have a state tax similar to the average of other states that's used only for disaster relief? Wouldn't that be fair?

Guest steggyD
But what about the entire northeast? The taxes are high enough as it is. But every once in a while, a big enough blizzard hits, that it becomes a national disaster area. Hell if I am paying any more taxes than I do already up here.

Guest BengalBacker
[quote name='steggyD' date='Sep 5 2005, 01:16 AM']But what about the entire northeast? The taxes are high enough as it is. But every once in a while, a big enough blizzard hits, that it becomes a national disaster area. Hell if I am paying any more taxes than I do already up here.
[right][post="142559"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Are blizzards as costly as hurricanes, or earthquakes? Blizzards don't generally destroy houses, and infrastructure.

Also, like I said, Florida residents don't pay any state taxes.

Guest BengalBacker
[quote name='steggyD' date='Sep 5 2005, 01:56 AM']Probably nowhere near as much money. But where would the line be drawn? Sounds like a rough plan.
[right][post="142569"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

I just thought of it, so I'm not saying I've really thought it through, and yes it would be tough to draw the lines. I do think a state that doesn't tax it's citizens but is a definite target for hurricanes should qualify though.

Archived