https://www.cincyjungle.com/2021/3/21/22339053/nfl-expanding-to-17-game-schedule-per-report

On the second day of the new league year, the NFL announced its new TV deals that will run until 2033. One of the immediate impacts this will have

on the league is the length of the regular season.

For over a year now, it’s been heavily speculated that future seasons will add a 17th game to the schedule, and per Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk, the new schedule will become official later this month during the annual league meetings. It’s the first time in 43 years that the NFL has increased the number of games in the regular season.

A 17th game means the preseason will be diminished the either two or three games, which will be discussed amongst owners. Last year’s Collective Bargaining Agreement included a player’s vote for a 17-game season, but it would not become a reality until the new media deals became official.

The Bengals were already projected to host the San Francisco 49ers for their 17th game of the 2021 season. This is how the matchups will be determined going forward:

New scheduling procedures with respect to the 17th regular-season game will “be an interconference match-up based on divisional standings” from the previous campaign, and “on a rotating divisional basis” in a fashion similar to current scheduling standards that annually see one AFC division play an entire NFC division, and so on.

Ultimately, it’s more football, and fewer preseason games leading up to it.

If I’m the NFLPA I only agree to 17 games if they add another buy week.  Healthier players makes for better football, and you can schedule teams coming off their buy for the usually dreadful Thursday night games. Also allows the NFL to dominate sports media for another week. 

4 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

If I’m the NFLPA I only agree to 17 games if they add another buy week.  Healthier players makes for better football, and you can schedule teams coming off their buy for the usually dreadful Thursday night games. Also allows the NFL to dominate sports media for another week. 

I agree, you have to throw an extra bye week in there...and have rules that one bye has to be before week 8 and the last by after week 11 or something like that.

"Player Safety" is what the league is all about...

Yeahhh ok

Aside from the injury concerns (especially without a second bye) there is something to be said about ruining an already perfect scheduling procedure. I guess any new records set during an 17 game sked will need to be notated as well. Gotta think this leads up to an eventual 18 game reg season.

Yes, the league wants to go to 18 regular season games + 2 preseason games. For 2021 with 17 games, the league doesn't want to start earlier since that would mean games on Labor Day weekend so the season will be a week longer and the playoffs and SuperBowl pushed back a week. If they added another bye week, it would push the end of the season back 2 weeks instead of 1.

21 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Yes, the league wants to go to 18 regular season games + 2 preseason games. For 2021 with 17 games, the league doesn't want to start earlier since that would mean games on Labor Day weekend so the season will be a week longer and the playoffs and SuperBowl pushed back a week. If they added another bye week, it would push the end of the season back 2 weeks instead of 1.

Wasn't there a random season ('92? '93?) where there were two byes? Wonder if they could set up the schedule similarly.

2 hours ago, Griever said:

Wasn't there a random season ('92? '93?) where there were two byes? Wonder if they could set up the schedule similarly.

It was 1993. They had to expand to 18 weeks that year, so they needed two extra open dates for each team. 

I don't like it. It will inflate seasonal stats (yeah, I know it's not the first time) and further diminish the significance of each game (along with the expanded playoffs). I keep wondering when the point of oversaturation will come with the NFL.

This may seem petty, but the thing I hate most about it is that it eliminates the ability to break the season up into four equal, symmetrical parts. After every four games you could look at team's record and project that over a 16-game pace. No longer. Besides, playing an odd number of games is kinda stupid. Has any other league ever done that?

35 minutes ago, Bleeds Orange said:

I don't like it. It will inflate seasonal stats (yeah, I know it's not the first time) and further diminish the significance of each game (along with the expanded playoffs). I keep wondering when the point of oversaturation will come with the NFL.

This may seem petty, but the thing I hate most about it is that it eliminates the ability to break the season up into four equal, symmetrical parts. After every four games you could look at team's record and project that over a 16-game pace. No longer. Besides, playing an odd number of games is kinda stupid. Has any other league ever done that?

Good and valid points.

My point would be ..I like to watch regular season games and an extra game is fine by me..

Another Sunday of enjoyment..

You ll adjust to stats ..

There we're 12 games once..

Then 14....then..16..

Now 17...

Its all good for the fans...

Enjoy the Niners game in week 17!..

4 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Good and valid points.

My point would be ..I like to watch regular season games and an extra game is fine by me..

Another Sunday of enjoyment..

You ll adjust to stats ..

There we're 12 games once..

Then 14....then..16..

Now 17...

Its all good for the fans...

Enjoy the Niners game in week 17!..

...and fantasy football seasons can be extended for one more week.

😎

11 hours ago, Bleeds Orange said:

Used to happen sort of often a long time ago, when the league used to monkey around with the number of pre-season games (I always remembered them as being called “exhibition games”.

The last year I recall recently, was 1999–they had to adjust the season to odd games in order to incorporate the new Browns. 

Let's do this. 

1.)  Keep it at the proper number of 16 games with 4 pre-season games

2.)  Get rid of the stupid fucking Thursday night games

3.)  Go back in time and un-invent instant replay which has ruined the flow of the game. (all sports, and I'm looking right at you NCAA tournament)

4.)  Shut the fuck up

1 hour ago, saphead said:

Let's do this. 

1.)  Keep it at the proper number of 16 games with 4 pre-season games

2.)  Get rid of the stupid fucking Thursday night games

3.)  Go back in time and un-invent instant replay which has ruined the flow of the game. (all sports, and I'm looking right at you NCAA tournament)

4.)  Shut the fuck up

ice cube friday movie GIF

21 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Not gonna happen but a league wide Sunday off late in the season would be nice.

Kind of level the playing field a bit going into the playoffs getting more guys healthy and rested.

A league-wide off date means no tv revenue that week. No go...

2 hours ago, Sea Ray said:

A league-wide off date means no tv revenue that week. No go...

I was thinking that, too, however with the addition of an extra game and

the TV contract already set, wouldn't that be like the networks getting an

extra free game; 17 games for the price of 16?

But, yeah, I'm sure something will be done other than league wide bye day during the season.

Would be nice for an extra day or rest and recovery for all going into the playoff stretch.

7 hours ago, High School Harry said:

But, yeah, I'm sure something will be done other than league wide bye day during the season.

Would be nice for an extra day or rest and recovery for all going into the playoff stretch.

Why do you think the networks agreed to a $10billion/yr deal? They're counting on a 17 or 18 game season

7 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Why is everyone pretending the players are not 100% on board with this?  It only means WAY more money in the future for everyone.  

The salary cap is going to skyrocket.  

12 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

they could fill with "Mahommes at home" or "Brady takes a boat ride" or any other ludicrous special. They'd find something.

The Browns quarterback and his wife apparently live at the Browns stadium and there is a sitcom about it with episodes 30 seconds long. They could show those. Or they could come up with a show analyzing Stealers shitty cheap shots since the 1970s, but that would probably take too long.

Archived