Another change that's coming:

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2021/03/jim-nantz-staying-cbs-fox-nfl-conference-change-dick-stockton-retires/

Report: NFL ditching conference affiliation for games on FOX, CBS

According to Sports Business Journal, the NFL is abandoning conference affiliation for games on FOX and CBS as part of its new media rights deals with those networks. Instead of FOX primarily airing NFC games and CBS AFC games, each network will pick a set of teams from the respective conferences to carry a certain number of times per season. The change begins when the new deal kicks in with the 2023 season. [SBJ 3.25]

My old ass still hasn't gotten used to it not being the AFC on NBC and the NFC on CBS, and it hasn't been that way for nearly 30 years! Still miss Criqui/Trump for the Bengals at 1:00 on NBC, then Enberg/Olson for the 4:00 NBC and Summerall/Brookshire (later Summerall/Madden) on CBS at 4:00. MNF meant Gifford/Cosell/Meredith and the epic halftime highlights. MNF has pretty much been a revolving door shit show since then, hasn't it?

This may be a good thing for fans in the Louisville market, as we get the Colts on CBS any time they and the Bengals are playing at the same time on that network. Maybe this will keep them apart more often. I have a powerful over-the-air antenna that I spin around towards Lexington when we're stuck with the Colts, but most don't have that option.

On 3/22/2021 at 8:15 AM, saphead said:

Let's do this. 

1.)  Keep it at the proper number of 16 games with 4 pre-season games

2.)  Get rid of the stupid fucking Thursday night games

3.)  Go back in time and un-invent instant replay which has ruined the flow of the game. (all sports, and I'm looking right at you NCAA tournament)

4.)  Shut the fuck up

Instant replay is ruining sports.

I'm all for expanding the regular season though. Play 20 games, I don't care, I just want to watch.

20 hours ago, Bleeds Orange said:

Another change that's coming:

My old ass still hasn't gotten used to it not being the AFC on NBC and the NFC on CBS, and it hasn't been that way for nearly 30 years! Still miss Criqui/Trump for the Bengals at 1:00 on NBC, then Enberg/Olson for the 4:00 NBC and Summerall/Brookshire (later Summerall/Madden) on CBS at 4:00. MNF meant Gifford/Cosell/Meredith and the epic halftime highlights. MNF has pretty much been a revolving door shit show since then, hasn't it?

This may be a good thing for fans in the Louisville market, as we get the Colts on CBS any time they and the Bengals are playing at the same time on that network. Maybe this will keep them apart more often. I have a powerful over-the-air antenna that I spin around towards Lexington when we're stuck with the Colts, but most don't have that option.

I remember those days of Louisville carrying the Bengals games.  With all the hatred between the Colonels-Pacers during the ABA days and Kentucky Wildcats/Louisville Cardinals-Indiana Hoosier college basketball I have been surprised they would broadcast any Indiana sports team given the chance.

On 3/22/2021 at 8:15 AM, saphead said:

2.)  Get rid of the stupid fucking Thursday night games

How I loathe TNF,  It's so consistently dogshit & fucks over teams for no other reason than promoting the NFL Network, which is also consistently dogshit with or without TNF.

It's nothing but a testament to the league's endless greed.  It's a drunken Roger Goodell pissing in your kitchen sink while lecturing you about integrity.  

9 hours ago, T-Dub said:

How I loathe TNF,  It's so consistently dogshit & fucks over teams for no other reason than promoting the NFL Network, which is also consistently dogshit with or without TNF.

It's nothing but a testament to the league's endless greed.  It's a drunken Roger Goodell pissing in your kitchen sink while lecturing you about integrity.  

TNF would work if both of  the teams playing were coming off a bye. Playing Sunday then Thursday is terrible especially for the away team. 

On 3/27/2021 at 9:30 AM, westside bengal said:

I remember those days of Louisville carrying the Bengals games.  With all the hatred between the Colonels-Pacers during the ABA days and Kentucky Wildcats/Louisville Cardinals-Indiana Hoosier college basketball I have been surprised they would broadcast any Indiana sports team given the chance.

The league and the networks decide which games the local affiliates get, and the local stations have little or no choice. From what little I watch the local news, it doesn't seem the local sports anchors favor the Colts over the Bengals in their coverage. I have no idea how large a fanbase either team has in that part of Kentucky, but I suspect the southern Indiana area portion of the Louisville market would be heavily into the Colts. I'm sure the league and the networks do their homework before assigning games, but it sucks for the fans sometimes.

But you're right. In the 1970s and 80s the 1:00pm NBC game on WAVE3 was always the Bengals. The Colts arrived in 1984, but I don't think the shakeup in local coverage started until CBS got the AFC games in the late 90s, which was also about the time the Colts drafted Manning and started their run as one of the top franchises in the league. Meanwhile, the Bengals were in the midst of their 1991-2008 run of one winning season and a lost generation of fans.

On 3/27/2021 at 9:42 PM, SF2 said:

TNF would work if both of  the teams playing were coming off a bye. Playing Sunday then Thursday is terrible especially for the away team. 

I mean.. it'd definitely be an improvement, but it's still an off-schedule game on a weeknight.  

Call it a bad idea, poorly executed.

20 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I mean.. it'd definitely be an improvement, but it's still an off-schedule game on a weeknight.  

Call it a bad idea, poorly executed.

Depends on what their goal is.  If the goal is for the players and owners to make way more money then a 17 game regular season with TNF is perfectly executed strategy.   

Amazon is paying $1 bil annually to stream TNF games.  That over $32 mil per team per year or over $250,000 a year per NFL player AFTER the owners take their cut.  

And don’t pretend the players don’t realize this since THEY agreed to it overwhelmingly.  

official

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/03/30/nfl-owners-approve-17-game-schedule/

NFL owners approve 17-game schedule

Posted by Josh Alper on March 30, 2021, 2:39 PM EDT

There are now 17 games in an NFL regular season.

As expected, NFL owners have approved a proposal to add one game to the regular season at their meeting on Tuesday. The preseason will drop to three games for any team not playing in the Hall of Fame Game.

“This is a monumental moment in NFL history,” NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said in a statement. “The CBA with the players and the recently completed media agreements provide the foundation for us to enhance the quality of the NFL experience for our fans. And one of the benefits of each team playing 17 regular-season games is the ability for us to continue to grow our game around the world.”

The added game will be an intra-conference matchup between teams that finished in the same position in their division during the previous season. The host of those games will switch conferences from year to year with the AFC hosting this year’s games.

For this season, the matchups will be AFC East vs. NFC East, AFC North vs. NFC West, AFC South vs. NFC South, and AFC West vs. NFC North.

In addition to those changes, the change in schedule also includes a change to the process of setting international games. Each team will be required to play internationally at least once every eight years.

weird...hadn't heard this until now

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/03/31/week-four-of-preseason-will-now-be-a-bye-week/

Week Four of preseason will now be a bye week

With only three preseason games, the preseason nevertheless will begin when it usually does.

Packers CEO Mark Murphy said Tuesday that what was the fourth week of the preseason will now be a bye week. This means that there will be two weeks between the end of the preseason and the start of the regular season.

Under the four-game preseason, all teams typically played the final exhibition contest on Thursday, two days before the roster cuts from 90 to 53.

With three weeks in the preseason, the NFL apparently will try to maximize viewership by clustering the games on weekends.

“One of the hopes quite honestly is that you would have more teams play [preseason games] on Saturday and weekends,” Murphy said.

Murphy still expects final roster cuts to be made on Labor Day weekend. With the preseason ending a week or more earlier, teams could decide to begin making cuts well before the deadline for finalizing a 53-man complement of players.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/04/04/will-two-bye-weeks-return-for-nfl/

Will two bye weeks return for NFL?

In 1993, and only in 1993, the NFL had two bye weeks. The one-year experiment stretched the regular season to 18 weeks.

Now, with the addition of a 17th game, the season permanently becomes an 18-week proposition, minimum. It also feels like a matter of time before the NFL adds an 18th game. At that time, or possibly before then, the league could bring back a second bye week.

The league has resisted returning to two byes because the networks didn’t like it. With every team getting two weeks off in an 18-week season, the week-in, week-out schedule became diluted.

But the circumstances have changed, and they will change some more. For starters, the league has expanded from 28 teams to 32 since 1993, which provides two extra games per week. More importantly, as legalized gambling spreads and as advances in technology allow for robust in-game, per-play betting by projecting images in real time from stadiums to homes and sports bars, the league and the networks will prefer having fewer games played at once.

That’s why it’s likely if not inevitable that the league eventually will expand broadcast windows, with four on Sundays (the London games could begin at 9:30 a.m. ET), two on Mondays, one on Tuesdays, one on Wednesdays, and one or two on Thursdays. (Friday and Saturday are off limits from Labor Day until mid-December, due to the broadcast antitrust exemption.)

A second bye would help to further limit the cluster of 1:00 p.m. ET games that becomes a dizzying experience for those who’d like to focus on one game at a time. Those six, seven, eight, nine, or 10 games played at once also represent missed opportunities to maximize in-game betting on any one contest.

Use of a second bye also would make it easier to justify a creative alignment of gaps between games, making it easier to fill in Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays without having players perform on insufficient rest.

Regardless, more is coming. More than 17 games. More than 18 weeks. Eventually, 18 games. Eventually, two byes.

(Eventually, more teams.)

15 minutes ago, Griever said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/04/04/will-two-bye-weeks-return-for-nfl/

Will two bye weeks return for NFL?

In 1993, and only in 1993, the NFL had two bye weeks. The one-year experiment stretched the regular season to 18 weeks.

Now, with the addition of a 17th game, the season permanently becomes an 18-week proposition, minimum. It also feels like a matter of time before the NFL adds an 18th game. At that time, or possibly before then, the league could bring back a second bye week.

The league has resisted returning to two byes because the networks didn’t like it. With every team getting two weeks off in an 18-week season, the week-in, week-out schedule became diluted.

But the circumstances have changed, and they will change some more. For starters, the league has expanded from 28 teams to 32 since 1993, which provides two extra games per week. More importantly, as legalized gambling spreads and as advances in technology allow for robust in-game, per-play betting by projecting images in real time from stadiums to homes and sports bars, the league and the networks will prefer having fewer games played at once.

That’s why it’s likely if not inevitable that the league eventually will expand broadcast windows, with four on Sundays (the London games could begin at 9:30 a.m. ET), two on Mondays, one on Tuesdays, one on Wednesdays, and one or two on Thursdays. (Friday and Saturday are off limits from Labor Day until mid-December, due to the broadcast antitrust exemption.)

A second bye would help to further limit the cluster of 1:00 p.m. ET games that becomes a dizzying experience for those who’d like to focus on one game at a time. Those six, seven, eight, nine, or 10 games played at once also represent missed opportunities to maximize in-game betting on any one contest.

Use of a second bye also would make it easier to justify a creative alignment of gaps between games, making it easier to fill in Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays without having players perform on insufficient rest.

Regardless, more is coming. More than 17 games. More than 18 weeks. Eventually, 18 games. Eventually, two byes.

(Eventually, more teams.)

They should expand the roster some as well..

Archived