1 hour ago, SF2 said:

1st round #7. And prior to this past season how many post seasons games had Evan’s played in?  Zero in 6 years.  The Bucs record the 6 years Evans played before Brady showed up?  34-62. 

If he is such a difference maker, why didn’t he make a difference before Brady arrived?  He was 18th in yards behind a whole bunch of guys picked later than 7th this year.  

BTW, 1 out of 5 examples and Evans had 1 catch for 11 yards in the Super Bowl.  Not exactly a difference maker.   He is a good player but not at $16.5 mil a year and with Brady’s weak arm not exactly a key component.  

The top 5 receivers from the class of 2019 all picked after round 1. 

Goalposts here, goalposts there, goalposts goalposts everywhere!

He's had a VERY good career. You're cherry picking things just like you cherry picked his 40 time. 18 guys had more yards? He had slightly over a 1000 yards with THIRTEEN TD's last year. Only three receivers had more TD's. Picking one stat that is average but leaving out all the good stats is a disingenuous way to make an argument. I prefer to consider everything a receiver does.

My point is, you were claiming that Tyler Boyd could handle being a #1 receiver then used his 40 time to equate him to Mike Evans who's had a far better career with QB's that were average at best, trash at worst until last year. Evans averages about 4 yards more a reception, scores far more TD's, and his receptions go for 1st downs at a much higher percentage. Mike Evans is simply a better more talented receiver, which is what you'd expect from an early first round receiver. He is indeed a difference maker, but one WR can't carry a team. Using a teams record to somehow show that a very good receiver isn't is also silly. The Bengals won only four games last season. Does this mean Tyler Boyd and Tee Higgins aren't difference makers?

Boyd will never be able to match Evans production. There simply is no comparison between the two. 

1 hour ago, bengaled said:

I doubt it. I fully expect them to refortify their OL, as any professionally run organization that consistently goes to the playoffs would do.

I was joking about a wideout..

Heard they like Jenkins and Dickerson.

1 hour ago, Sox said:

He's had a VERY good career. You're cherry picking things just like you cherry picked his 40 time. 18 guys had more yards? He had slightly over a 1000 yards with THIRTEEN TD's last year. Only three receivers had more TD's. Picking one stat that is average but leaving out all the good stats is a disingenuous way to make an argument. I prefer to consider everything a receiver does.

My point is, you were claiming that Tyler Boyd could handle being a #1 receiver then used his 40 time to equate him to Mike Evans who's had a far better career with QB's that were average at best, trash at worst until last year. Evans averages about 4 yards more a reception, scores far more TD's, and his receptions go for 1st downs at a much higher percentage. Mike Evans is simply a better more talented receiver, which is what you'd expect from an early first round receiver. He is indeed a difference maker, but one WR can't carry a team. Using a teams record to somehow show that a very good receiver isn't is also silly. The Bengals won only four games last season. Does this mean Tyler Boyd and Tee Higgins aren't difference makers?

Boyd will never be able to match Evans production. There simply is no comparison between the two. 

You have made this point well, not that I needed it made to me. I love Mike Evans. If there's a similar type in this year's draft, I'd say it's Pitts, TBH, though Pitts is better. We DO need a speed wideout. I would not argue that in the slightest. We also need the prototype Offensive lineman that Penei Sewell is. No one else is quite like him in that he has the most upside and growth potential (of an elite LT) of anyone in this draft. My point again is the team has no reason to be sold on Jonah. He's proven to be too injury prone, which has stunted his pro development too much to allow for that. We have to look to the future, in regards to protecting the most important part of this equation. This can't be a guessing game, about whether which 2nd or 3rd round pick will grow and develop into the type of talent we need. That's too big of a gamble. We need to put our glasses on and think the way the team thinks, with respect to the way they refuse to reinvest in the OL talent on their team, as well as their lack of willingness to spend the kind of legitimate dollars in free agency to secure Joe Burrow's future security. This organization has told you and I time and again how they will operate going forward. They give us the blueprint of that year after year. They do not value assets like Andrew Whitworth, Eric Steinbach or Kevin Zeitler. Riley Reiff is a one and done deal. Jonah will be lucky to see the 5th year on his contract, yet I will expect it will happen, to be totally honest. With that said, he will NEVER see an extension, as the NFL offensive tackle market is just too pricey for this organization. I ask everyone to just sit and think about the future, and what's most important??? Wide receivers come and go...and there will be speed wideouts this year, next year, and every year into infinity that become available. Jamar Chase is an exceptional talent. But he is not what this team needs the most, and this is at the very heart of this back and forth. Too many prognosticators try to pigeonhole team needs and players value into a normal NFL situation. The Cincinnati Bengals are not a normally run franchise. They are an anomaly. Anyone that doesn't take into consideration all the factors involved in this most important #5 choice, while considering this team on the normal plane of an NFL team, is missing a HUGE major point. 

I think Penei Sewell is absolutely the best fit for this team at #5. I think it's clear, despite my love of Jamar Chase and what he could bring to us. I know that. I would never discount how elite he is. But given the total picture of everything, his upside compared to what Penei would offer is a lesser comodity.

1 hour ago, spicoli said:

Man this draft can’t get here soon enough..

Hate that they made the shit a week long just to milk every last ad dollar.  I've got to wait a good 24-48 hours to hear why "the value just wasn't there" for OL while they chase their Ferraris (that turn out to be kit cars built on VW bugs).

That’s the story for a new mock from Seth Galina of Pro Football Focus, who has the Bengals going with Penei Sewell in the opening round and following that up with North Carolina wideout Dyami Brown in the second round:

“Now we get our outside receiver to pair with slot guy Tyler Boyd and wideout Tee Higgins. Brown lined up at an outside alignment on over 98% of the Tar Heels’ snaps last year, specifically on the left. Former Bengals receiver A.J. Green played 83% of his snaps last season on the outside and also mostly on the left, but he departed in free agency.

It’s a perfect “scheme fit,” and you’re hoping Burrow can actually find a connection with Brown in the way he couldn’t with Green last season. There’s going to be a glut of good receivers available to the Bengals at Pick 38, so I think they should go for a tackle and then a receiver.”

After that, the Bengals land a potential starting-caliber guard in the third round with Illinois guard Kendrick Green.

13 hours ago, Sox said:

So explain the other 4 teams while you are cherry picking.  And you are the one who said Boyd can’t play outside because he can’t get separation while Evans is barely faster.  

BTW, 2015 Broncos Demaryous Thomas was the 22nd pick, not exactly 5th and defense won that ring anyways.  

2014 Patriots Gronk, Edelman , Lafell  Gronk closest at 2nd round. 

2013 Seahawks Baldwin undrafted, Golden Tate 2nd round

2102 Ravens Anqan Boldin Torrey Smith both 2nd rounders.  

2011 Giants Manningham  3rd round, Hakeem Nicks 1st round 29th. 

So in 10 years you have Mike Evans.  

11 hours ago, High School Harry said:

That’s the story for a new mock from Seth Galina of Pro Football Focus, who has the Bengals going with Penei Sewell in the opening round and following that up with North Carolina wideout Dyami Brown in the second round:

“Now we get our outside receiver to pair with slot guy Tyler Boyd and wideout Tee Higgins. Brown lined up at an outside alignment on over 98% of the Tar Heels’ snaps last year, specifically on the left. Former Bengals receiver A.J. Green played 83% of his snaps last season on the outside and also mostly on the left, but he departed in free agency.

It’s a perfect “scheme fit,” and you’re hoping Burrow can actually find a connection with Brown in the way he couldn’t with Green last season. There’s going to be a glut of good receivers available to the Bengals at Pick 38, so I think they should go for a tackle and then a receiver.”

After that, the Bengals land a potential starting-caliber guard in the third round with Illinois guard Kendrick Green.

I'd be happy if those were our first 3 picks.

Archived