Tee Higgins

2 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Hes ready to take over the one spot from Green..

He basically did last year no?

Yes he is That Good..

Perhaps so, but we still do need a guy with more juice across from him, for this offense to work efficiently and as it should.

10 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

The need for a 2 receiver is obvious..

Not a 1 though.. 

My only issue is with that terminology, which a lot of fans get all mixed up, IMO anyway.  Higgins fits the role of a true #2 type receiver, which is more of a possession type receiver. A #1 is your speed guy. This classification has nothing whatsoever to do with who catches the most balls or gains the most yards. Much the same a slot guy is a #3 receiver. Likewise, this doesn't mean he's the 3rd most important receiver on your team.

6 hours ago, bengaled said:

My only issue is with that terminology, which a lot of fans get all mixed up, IMO anyway.  Higgins fits the role of a true #2 type receiver, which is more of a possession type receiver. A #1 is your speed guy. This classification has nothing whatsoever to do with who catches the most balls or gains the most yards. Much the same a slot guy is a #3 receiver. Likewise, this doesn't mean he's the 3rd most important receiver on your team.

That explains all the confusion.  John Ross thought he was the #1 receiver and nobody believed him.

7 hours ago, bengaled said:

Tee Higgins ran a 4.39 vs Chase's 4.38

You're telling me one hundredth of a second makes him a WR2?

AJ Green, for the record, ran a 4.5

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

Tee Higgins ran a 4.39 vs Chase's 4.38

You're telling me one hundredth of a second makes him a WR2?

AJ Green, for the record, ran a 4.5

Not sure where you saw a 4.39 but my memory said and upon checking again his official number was 4.54 (and AJ's was 4.48).  Overall Tee's testing numbers were characterized as "disappointing", mainly due to a surprisingly low vertical and slow 10-yard split in the 40.

With that said all of these little numbers don't mean a whole lot when you're talking different body types and play styles.  Is Chase a WR1 in today's NFL?  Certainly.  He has speed, strength, hands and has played X at an absurd level in college.  Forget his height, many WR1's in the league are 6'1", 6'2" right now. 

Tee played X as well in college and was great, but considering his height and play style simply isn't the same type (just like AJ is not).  He has *enough* speed, fantastic hands, incredible in the air and in traffic.  He isn't, however, "sudden" like AJ, who is a freak at his height, or as strong.  The good thing is in the video he both reveals AJ told him to get stronger and by his account that's what he's been working on most.  That to me is the main thing he was missing and if he's successful in his effort he will be able to beat jams and I'm certain he can play X.  Of course that doesn't mean the Bengals want him there or plan to put him there.

If people are stuck on his testing numbers there are many who had comparable results who are unquestioned studs, Michael Thomas being one (strength being the obvious difference).

51 minutes ago, HavePityPlease said:

Not sure where you saw a 4.39 but my memory said and upon checking again his official number was 4.54 (and AJ's was 4.48).  Overall Tee's testing numbers were characterized as "disappointing", mainly due to a surprisingly low vertical and slow 10-yard split in the 40.

With that said all of these little numbers don't mean a whole lot when you're talking different body types and play styles.  Is Chase a WR1 in today's NFL?  Certainly.  He has speed, strength, hands and has played X at an absurd level in college.  Forget his height, many WR1's in the league are 6'1", 6'2" right now. 

Tee played X as well in college and was great

Tee also played it in the NFL and looked damn good as a rookie.  I know he's not the New Shiny but that's a pretty big advantage over any draft pick that seems to be overlooked.

He's not a prospect, he's actually gone out and done it.  

Oh and those 40 numbers are just the first ones I found in a web search.  Point remains that the only one that's actually been a top tier WR1 was significantly slower than the other 2.  Higgins, Boyd, and some mid-rounder with some speed would be fine.  The only issue there is we don't have the scouts to identify those quality sleeper picks, but that applies to any position.

We desperately need to upgrade the OL immediately.  I can't say the same about WR.

Underwear Olympics.  These exercises give you some idea of what kind of tools a player has, but it's just a small piece of the puzzle.  Making decisions based upon 40 times is foolish, and time after time you see teams screw it up over these measurables. 

There is a great video breakdown of Chad Johnson out there that talks and shows why he was so good in his prime.  It was his start and stop ability.  He had great feet.  He didn't run all that great of a 40 time.  4.5+ if I remember correctly.  He didn't even run great routes, but damn could he get open.  When he aged and lost that extraordinary quickness, his game deteriorated.  Someone has to watch these guys play.  What do they do well?  What needs work?  Are they a student of the game?  Will they work  to change? 

A bunch of guys sitting around discussing 40 times and other workout metrics gets you John Ross in the first round.

I really don't put much stock in combine numbers. I think its a waste of time to run an OL in a 40 yard dash. I grant you there is a little value to the combine, in person interviews, maybe you see if they have the work ethic to try and improve themselves. Watch what they do in college, that should tell you the type of game they have.

I remember a lot of folks saying that Emmitt Smith was to small to very good in the NFL and Jerry Rice was to slow. I go back and forth between Chase and Sewell, I see the benefit to either one. 

51 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Underwear Olympics.  These exercises give you some idea of what kind of tools a player has, but it's just a small piece of the puzzle.  Making decisions based upon 40 times is foolish, and time after time you see teams screw it up over these measurables. 

There is a great video breakdown of Chad Johnson out there that talks and shows why he was so good in his prime.  It was his start and stop ability.  He had great feet.  He didn't run all that great of a 40 time.  4.5+ if I remember correctly.  He didn't even run great routes, but damn could he get open.  When he aged and lost that extraordinary quickness, his game deteriorated.  Someone has to watch these guys play.  What do they do well?  What needs work?  Are they a student of the game?  Will they work  to change? 

A bunch of guys sitting around discussing 40 times and other workout metrics gets you John Ross in the first round.

Man, Chad Johnson could come out of those breaks so well. There were games that he could run a come back or a quick in and he'd be open every damn time. I remember games with the Bengals moving down the field just using these plays and throwing to Chad with the other team knowing they were going to do it and no one being able to stop him. Start and stop ability, no doubt. 

6 hours ago, BengalFanInTO said:

Man, Chad Johnson could come out of those breaks so well. There were games that he could run a come back or a quick in and he'd be open every damn time. I remember games with the Bengals moving down the field just using these plays and throwing to Chad with the other team knowing they were going to do it and no one being able to stop him. Start and stop ability, no doubt. 

Chad was my favorite all time Bengal receiver, and I have been around since the beginning. His quicks were something to behold and he wasn't just bullshitting...in his prime he couldn't be covered.

On 4/5/2021 at 4:04 PM, sparky151 said:

Sure, but it's not hard to find upgrades from Auden Tate. We certainly don't need to use pick 5 for that. 

You're not upgrading from Tate.  Tate is exactly where he should be ‐ 4th WR, 3rd wide guy and big Redzone/possession.  Whatever wanted is a wide guy across from Tee as  STARTER. 

WR1 Higgins

WR2. ????

SL1 Boyd

WR3 Tate

WR4 ????*

SL2  ????*

* Sanders / Thomas  / ????

On 4/6/2021 at 6:47 PM, MichaelWeston said:

Per PFF Bengals have 3 of the top 50 WRs they graded last year. That doesn't seem like a weakness if my math is correct. 

Where in the top 50 did they grade?  Honest question. There is a huge difference between top 10 and 40-50.  

6 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Where in the top 50 did they grade?  Honest question. There is a huge difference between top 10 and 40-50.  

When it comes to grading drafts, the Bengals are consistently in the top 32.

:ninja:

Archived