As a number of people here hoped/predicted:

https://www.bengals.com/news/bengals-release-giovani-bernard

More here:

https://dknation.draftkings.com/2021/4/7/22371613/giovani-bernard-bengals-release-2021-nfl-fantasy-football-joe-mixon-samaje-perine-trayveon-williams

As membengal has been saying, they asked him to take a pay cut and he asked for a release instead.

I'm sad to hear this. I was definitely pro to Gio staying here this year. I think during the course of a 17 game season, players will get hurt and having viable alternatives, including a terrific blocking 3rd down option was a benefit.

But, if he was looking for a release then, good on the Bengals for giving it to him. Seems like strange timing but, what's done is done. I hope he signs with a contender and has a chance to win.

I just read that he was apparently asked to take a pay cut two weeks in to free agency. With Gio's release, the Bengals move in to the 4th most cap space available slot. Even Hobsoning the numbers, that's a ton. I'm assuming Bates will at least (hopefully) get extended.

The Bengals made some decent signings but to me, they fumbled the free agency ball hard in improving in areas of need. Before the offseason started, I (along with a number of others) listed the cap cuts and all but Uzomah were released yet the Bengals made very little impact and only released Bernard and Atkins after the major free agents were off the board.

2 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:

I just read that he was apparently asked to take a pay cut two weeks in to free agency. With Gio's release, the Bengals move in to the 4th most cap space available slot. Even Hobsoning the numbers, that's a ton. I'm assuming Bates will at least (hopefully) get extended.

The Bengals made some decent signings but to me, they fumbled the free agency ball hard in improving in areas of need. Before the offseason started, I (along with a number of others) listed the cap cuts and all but Uzomah were released yet the Bengals made very little impact and only released Bernard and Atkins after the major free agents were off the board.

Extend Bates, and bring in another linemen after the draft. (Turner please)

1 hour ago, esjbh2 said:

Gio always played with heart and motivation which I appreciated/admired.  I wish him well.

Me, too. I always liked the kid and I hate to see him go, but if he asked for his release, then I'm glad the Bengals did right by him. I just hope he doesn't wind up somewhere in the AFCN. 

1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

His unquestioned skill piece, was that of pass protection. He has saved multiple QBs’ bacon on blitz pickups over the years. 

Shouldn't be a problem with that being such a strength for this team

Archived