2 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

We did have to to replace the mediocre culture with a losing one, this takes time. 

Very true. 15 players left from the 2018 roster...

Jessie Bates

Tyler Boyd

Jordan Evans

Clark Harris

Trey Hopkins

Sam Hubbard

Kevin Huber

Joe Mixon

Darius Phillips

Billy Price

Mason Schreck

Auden Tate

Josh Tupou

CJ Uzomah

Brandon Wilson

2 hours ago, BengalFanInTO said:

I just read that he was apparently asked to take a pay cut two weeks in to free agency. With Gio's release, the Bengals move in to the 4th most cap space available slot. Even Hobsoning the numbers, that's a ton. I'm assuming Bates will at least (hopefully) get extended.

The Bengals made some decent signings but to me, they fumbled the free agency ball hard in improving in areas of need. Before the offseason started, I (along with a number of others) listed the cap cuts and all but Uzomah were released yet the Bengals made very little impact and only released Bernard and Atkins after the major free agents were off the board.

Can you release Uzomah while he is rehabbing an injury?  Think that would require an injury settlement.  (more money)  Atkins has had the same injury for a while and hasn't had surgery from what I've heard. 

This is not a move a team expecting to win makes.  Maybe one of the young guys can step up, but there is no guarantee.  Bernard was solid as a backup and great as a 3rd down back.  It's not like the Bengals needed any more cap space.  The Brown family may have wanted more money in their pockets though.

15 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

This is not a move a team expecting to win makes.  Maybe one of the young guys can step up, but there is no guarantee.  Bernard was solid as a backup and great as a 3rd down back.  It's not like the Bengals needed any more cap space.  The Brown family may have wanted more money in their pockets though.

Man you are very cynical UncleEarl, you need to be more positive about this team like I am. 

Good move by all involved..

Team saves 4mil and Bernard can move on in his career.

What none of you mentioned was maybe they want to slot Treyveon Willams in his place now..

His strong traits aside from running are blocking and receiving..

Bernard s 30 and hasnt averaged 4yrd a clip in years..

Good man..good luck..

2 hours ago, Jupiter Fan said:

Ah, too bad but I saw it coming along with him and Geno. It's a cap thing and I'd be very interested in resigning one or the other. Hopefully they use the cap savings to extend Bates. Do it now before the draft.

Sorry, all that money is already spent on the injury pool for rookies in 2023

#HobsonMath

8 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

What none of you mentioned was maybe they want to slot Treyveon Willams in his place now..

Good man..good luck..

just like they wanted to slot ogodabji in whitworths spot hopefully it works out better this time and wasnt just about the money. 

On 4/7/2021 at 2:09 PM, claptonrocks said:

Good man..good luck..

Pretty classless move by the Bengals. If they wanted to move on they should have done it at the beginning of FA, not a month in.  This organization just doesn’t give a damn about its players. No wonder this is a last resort for many or a big payday for the below average.  

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

Pretty classless move by the Bengals. If they wanted to move on they should have done it at the beginning of FA, not a month in.  This organization just doesn’t give a damn about its players. No wonder this is a last resort for many or a big payday for the below average.  

What? Come on, how many teams have a Ring of Honor for its players -we are the first no doubt

15 hours ago, SF2 said:

I rarely defend the Bengals front office but I don't see how the Bengals have any obligation to make a move like this at any point. They were assessing their options. They've got a right to do that. Gio was paid handsomely to be average here for a lot of years. He will land somewhere but his opportunities and/or how much he will get paid would not have gone up if he'd been released a month ago. Sounds like they asked him to take salary haircut early in free agency and he mulled it for weeks and when he decided not to, he asked for his release. Doesn't seem like he was in a huge rush either.

18 hours ago, BengalFanInTO said:

I rarely defend the Bengals front office but I don't see how the Bengals have any obligation to make a move like this at any point. They were assessing their options. They've got a right to do that. Gio was paid handsomely to be average here for a lot of years. He will land somewhere but his opportunities and/or how much he will get paid would not have gone up if he'd been released a month ago. Sounds like they asked him to take salary haircut early in free agency and he mulled it for weeks and when he decided not to, he asked for his release. Doesn't seem like he was in a huge rush either.

:thumbsup:

He was a great guy and a decent player - probably not worth what he was getting paid here, but even as recently as the win against the stealers - he was playing like a beast.

He'll be one of my favorite of all time.

Sad to see him go too, and the guy played his ass off for the Bengals. Said and did all the right things on and off the field and a great leader on the team. Was a fun guy to watch and seems as everyone says is a class act all the way around. Don`t blame the Bengals for the timing either.

Archived