Ranking the 20 Worst American Cars Ever

Sea Ray

I know from the Bengals discussions that we have some very knowledgeable car buffs here so I thought I'd try to get this thread going so we don't derail a football thread

https://www.hotcars.com/ranking-the-20-worst-american-cars-ever-made/

What do you all make of this list? Agree or disagree with any of them? I thought some of their choices were a bit petty. Like the 2007 Chrysler Sebring? OK, it's a boring car but so what? Or the Ford Excursion just because it's a gas guzzler...

We had a mid 70s White Cadillac convertible that looked like Boss Hog's car and it was a horrible car to drive. It had an enormous gas guzzling V-8 and was a boat to steer and drive. 

I would think the Pinto should be higher on the list than #20

I would dispute the Chevette. I had a 1981 Chevette bare bones, manual transmission and I loved that car. Bought it in 1989 for $750.00, drove it for almost 7 years, and the only reason we got rid of it was because we had a baby on the way. Also, it didn't start so we pushed it to the car lot that we bought our sensible sedan from and they gave me $200 trade in, put a new started in it and sold it for $600.00. That car went everywhere in snow.

I think the 1974-1976 Mustangs should be on this list. My 1976 Mustang was one of the worst cars I have ever driven.

I agree with the Aztek being #1. I don't know about it mechanically, but it is butt ugly. 

Those gutless 4 cylinder Mustangs were crap. Why would anyone by a gutless Mustang? It's like a friend of mine who bought his first car after college. He chose a 2 wheel drive Chevy Blazer. Why get a Blazer if you're getting the 2 wheel drive version? For the record he lived in Chicago at the time.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/18/2021 at 8:08 PM, Sea Ray said:

Those gutless 4 cylinder Mustangs were crap. Why would anyone by a gutless Mustang? It's like a friend of mine who bought his first car after college. He chose a 2 wheel drive Chevy Blazer. Why get a Blazer if you're getting the 2 wheel drive version? For the record he lived in Chicago at the time.

as soon as I started reading this with you saying 4 cylinder Mustang I thought of something similar.   I had a 4-runner back in the day and one of my friends bout a 2 wheel drive one.. I was like dude...wtf are you doing? I mean if you live like Arizona or something ok, but you live in Ohio. 

• 4 weeks later...

Right before entering high school my parents, expecting another child, traded the 1959 Studebaker Silver Hawk for a 1964 Studebaker Wagonaire with rear sliding roof.  I had dreamed of getting my license soon and driving one of the coolest cars in our small town to an ugly green monster.  We had it for a couple of years and my Dad tore the transmission out pulling a camper.  By then Studebaker was on its last legs and when he took it to the shop and folks dropped the tranny and they tore in to it they couldn't believe what they found.  The guts inside were Ford parts, GMC parts and Studie parts.  Whatever they could find to build one.  They told my Dad that they doubted if any 2 were alike.  He traded it on the way home from the transmission shop.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived