Grading the New Uniforms ???

GRADE the New Uniforms? (and other issues)  

35 members have voted

1. 1. GRADE the Uniforms overall?

• A+
    • A
    • A-
    • B+
    • B
    • B-
    • C
    • D
    • F
    • EPIC FAIL
  2. 2. Favorite combination = Jersey / Pants ?

• Orange / Black
    • Orange / White (black stripes)
    • Orange / White (orange stripes)
    • Black / Black
    • Black / White (black stripes)
    • Black / White (orange stripes)
    • White / Black
    • White / White (black stripes)
    • White / White (orange stripes)
  3. 3. Are these the best Bengals uniforms ever?

• Yes
    • No
  4. 4. Are these new uniforms better than the 1980's Superbowl ones?

• Yes
    • No
  5. 5. Will you buy a new jersey this year?

• Yes
    • No

MY FULL TAKE

Overall, it is a little underwhelming. Some improvements, a few downgrades, and a few missed opportunities. There are 2 combos that really work for me (orange top & black pants + black top & black pants) and one combination that is hideous (orange top and white/orange pants).

[Improvements]

- Removing the white side panels.

- Getting rid of wrap around pants point.

- Paul Brown signature inside the neck.

- Better shade of orange on the orange jerseys, less neon-y than before.

- The sleeves are not different colors like before, which was odd. 

[Downgrades]

- The white pants with orange stripes should be filled in with black. Without doing so, they should be burned and someone fired. Tigers are black and orange, or white and black (white tigers), but there are no orange and white creamsicle tigers.

- Should have had an orange pants option for an all orange look, instead of two white pants.

- The socks should not be solid colors, but rather striped, or orange and black etc.

[Other iffy issues]

- I would have preferred more stripes on the shoulder. The shoulder numbers were removed, but then a stripe was not put in their place. Nothing was.

- I like the block numbers of the 80s better than this font.

- I would have preferred 'Cincinnati' rather than 'Bengals' on front if forced to choose. But really the B logo was fine. Now the B logo doesn’t appear anywhere on the uniform. But will be the primary logo and in the middle of the field.

- If they were set on writing 'Bengals', why not use the way the word was written on the first original helmet?

- TBH, the only jersey that actually makes logical sense and matches the helmet is the orange one with black stripes. While I like the look of the black jerseys, they have orange stripes, which tigers nor the helmet do not have. That is why they traditionally included both colors in the shoulder i.e. the black should always be combined with orange like a tiger. This is not rocket science. How many focus groups does it take to explain what a fucking tiger looks like!

All in all, I am sure they will grow on me, but the full grade would be like a B (fitting). The Orange top / black pants are an A, but the white pants with orange are an F.

They are sleeker, cleaner, and many will likely approve since less is usually more. But these sort of stopped halfway. They didn’t go full retro, or full futuristic FUBU. They are a nice double up the middle, and not a debacle like the 2020 Rams, but they could have been a game changer. They deserve praise for leaving the helmet as is. If the helmet is ever changed that's a red line and a deal breaker.

• BlackJesus changed the title to Grading the New Uniforms ???

Overall, it was a classic case of "addition by subtraction". Got rid of the busy, out of date elements as previously stated. It might sound nitpicky (it's a delicate balance with tiger stripes after all), but I almost want to say they went too far. They essentially neutered the look. Like BJ mentioned, they got rid of TV numbers, why only three stripes on each shoulder? I think one or two more would have looked nice. And totally agree about the numbers. A "classic" look would have just been block, outlined numbers, not a slightly altered Chicago Bears font. It's a solid "B" for me. The "Leaping Tiger" unis will still be the gold-standard for Bengals Jerseys in my eyes.

15 minutes ago, SmoothD said:

I thought having numbers on the shoulders were a NFL requirement

"SHIT!!!" - Katie Blackburn

Honestly I'm not sure - they change the rules on uniforms and helmets enough where I can't keep up.

45 minutes ago, SmoothD said:

I thought having numbers on the shoulders were a NFL requirement

27 minutes ago, Cat said:

"SHIT!!!" - Katie Blackburn

Honestly I'm not sure - they change the rules on uniforms and helmets enough where I can't keep up.

I did, too, but ... :shrug:

Paul Brown's signature is in the inside back of the neck piece.  Took awhile to find it and would have 

preferred it someplace else but still subtle.

Props to the Bengals press and video corps for the release clips.

The one of them coming up in a freight elevator to be met by cigar

smoking Ocho, himself, deserves an Oscar.  Very un-Bengal like and

very cool.

3 hours ago, Griever said:

Uni-Watch pointed something out I didn't even think of lol. They need to just fill in that white area with black!

image.png.b6b758c55ac5dceb5ca2898b3329ce8b.png

Love the jerseys...

The stripe on these pants looks gaudy.

Id like them narrower..

All in all nicer look. .

IMHO the best one is the all whites with black striping on the pants. As the black/white color rush unis were the best sellers I don't know why the didn't build on that instead of going orange crazy.

Can't take the orange jerseys, its just too damn much.

Thought I'd be more impressed with the black jerseys but the are "Meh" in my eyes. Maybe they will grow on me.

I don't think you can ever beat the 1981 unis since they were so ground breaking but these would have to rank #2 on the list for me. 

If we ever get back to winning big I think Bengal merch would spread like wildfire nationwide. 

Archived