Grading the New Uniforms ???

GRADE the New Uniforms? (and other issues)  

35 members have voted

1. 1. GRADE the Uniforms overall?

• A+
    • A
    • A-
    • B+
    • B
    • B-
    • C
    • D
    • F
    • EPIC FAIL
  2. 2. Favorite combination = Jersey / Pants ?

• Orange / Black
    • Orange / White (black stripes)
    • Orange / White (orange stripes)
    • Black / Black
    • Black / White (black stripes)
    • Black / White (orange stripes)
    • White / Black
    • White / White (black stripes)
    • White / White (orange stripes)
  3. 3. Are these the best Bengals uniforms ever?

• Yes
    • No
  4. 4. Are these new uniforms better than the 1980's Superbowl ones?

• Yes
    • No
  5. 5. Will you buy a new jersey this year?

• Yes
    • No

2 hours ago, saphead said:

I don't think you can ever beat the 1981 unis since they were so ground breaking but these would have to rank #2 on the list for me. 

If we ever get back to winning big I think Bengal merch would spread like wildfire nationwide. 

I would be happy with winning small, but yeh..  Can't imagine throwing money at this franchise right now.

Still, not my money not my problem.  Flushing it directly down the shitter might clog the pipes so I guess giving it to the Brown & Blackburn Redemption Circus is slightly preferable if you've got a couple hundo you can't bear the sight of?

4 hours ago, T-Dub said:

I would be happy with winning small, but yeh..  Can't imagine throwing money at this franchise right now.

Still, not my money not my problem.  Flushing it directly down the shitter might clog the pipes so I guess giving it to the Brown & Blackburn Redemption Circus is slightly preferable if you've got a couple hundo you can't bear the sight of?

So your buying one?...

22 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Hardcore...

(Betcha you have more than one Bengal jersey though)..

But..stay hard..

Not a one tbh, not really a jersey guy. If I could afford a signed one to hang on the wall maybe.. Used to buy other stuff but haven't in a while, it's the only real input we have.  I'm sure they're missing my few dollars 🙄 but at least I'm not subsidizing their bs

44 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Not a one tbh, not really a jersey guy. If I could afford a signed one to hang on the wall maybe.. Used to buy other stuff but haven't in a while, it's the only real input we have.  I'm sure they're missing my few dollars 🙄 but at least I'm not subsidizing their bs

I have bought 2 total..

Palmer and JB..

Have them framed in my man den..

Ill get a Sewell if they draft him to hang

next to JB...prolly on his Left side..😎..

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

Since we're talking jerseys in general, I would love to own signed:

Olajuwon (Rockets or UH)

Ryan (Astros)

Ed "Too-Tall" Jones ('Pokes)

Harvey Martin (Same)

Rudi, Whit, Atkins (Bengals)

Interesting choices you have there..

I take it these players have some type of nostalgia to you..

Ryan for baseball yes..The Express..

If I could add 3 outside of football Ryan,  UBolt and Luka Doncic would be my top choices..

1 hour ago, claptonrocks said:

Interesting choices you have there..

I take it these players have some type of nostalgia to you..

Ryan for baseball yes..The Express..

If I could add 3 outside of football Ryan,  UBolt and Luka Doncic would be my top choices..

I got to meet Martin when I was a kid.  The guy had a bad coke addiction and eventually went to jail for it & domestic violence charges but he couldn't have been nicer to me & a couple of my friends.  Could've easily had his handlers shoo us away but was very laid back & friendly, got to try on his SB ring & everything.  For a guy nicknamed "Too Mean" it was the exact opposite of his public image.  Glad to read he cleaned up before he passed due to pancreatic cancer.  Have to wonder if whatever juice the team was feeding everyone played a part there.

Saw Too-Tall at a celebrity event as a kid and it was like seeing an actual giant in person. Maybe not quite so freakish by modern standards but from a kid's eye level standing nearby, holy shit.

The rest are just exceptional athletes that I got to see play. 

To bring it back to the Bengals, I credit Whitworth in particular for being one of the only players to give the team some kind of backbone & identity beyond doormat.  Burfict of course but he took it too far.  Aside from those guys this team has been pretty consistently baby shit soft.

7 hours ago, T-Dub said:

I got to meet Martin when I was a kid.  The guy had a bad coke addiction and eventually went to jail for it & domestic violence charges but he couldn't have been nicer to me & a couple of my friends.  Could've easily had his handlers shoo us away but was very laid back & friendly, got to try on his SB ring & everything.  For a guy nicknamed "Too Mean" it was the exact opposite of his public image.  Glad to read he cleaned up before he passed due to pancreatic cancer.  Have to wonder if whatever juice the team was feeding everyone played a part there.

Saw Too-Tall at a celebrity event as a kid and it was like seeing an actual giant in person. Maybe not quite so freakish by modern standards but from a kid's eye level standing nearby, holy shit.

The rest are just exceptional athletes that I got to see play. 

To bring it back to the Bengals, I credit Whitworth in particular for being one of the only players to give the team some kind of backbone & identity beyond doormat.  Burfict of course but he took it too far.  Aside from those guys this team has been pretty consistently baby shit soft.

Vontaze Burfect...

A special type...with flags.

MB said he was a damn good foitball player..nuff said from the ole boy..

His onfield intelligence as a player was outstanding..

Was said by a few he would be an excellent LB coach oneday...but..

What was the need for his nasty over the top play that continued to plague him? He was lectured many times but it wouldnt sink in..

The idea of  playing with that need and pushing it to and over the limit was his way to excell...

For him it would be cheating himself to play any other way..

I still believe he will be an excellent backers coach...

Maybe with the Bengals...

12 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Vontaze Burfect...

A special type...with flags.

MB said he was a damn good foitball player..nuff said from the ole boy..

His onfield intelligence as a player was outstanding..

Was said by a few he would be an excellent LB coach oneday...but..

What was the need for his nasty over the top play that continued to plague him? He was lectured many times but it wouldnt sink in..

The idea of  playing with that need and pushing it to and over the limit was his way to excell...

For him it would be cheating himself to play any other way..

I still believe he will be an excellent backers coach...

Maybe with the Bengals...

I maintain that he was made the scapegoat for the kind of dirty shit that goes on constantly around the league.  I can only fault him for not easing up once it became clear the spotlight was focused on him.  I will also say that his greatest offense was giving the Stealers a taste of their own medicine.  Their cry-bullying had as much to do with his suspensions as anything.  Meanwhile a shitheel like Ryan Shazier makes a career out of headhunting, to the point of nearly paralyzing himself, and is treated like a hero for it.

While I'm on this soapbox I'll also repeat that Roger Goodell is a fuckin snake and the whole "Protect the Shield" facade of morality he's propped up in front of the ridiculously filthy business of the NFL can be hard to stomach.

7 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

While I'm on this soapbox I'll also repeat that Roger Goodell is a fuckin snake and the whole "Protect the Shield" facade of morality he's propped up in front of the ridiculously filthy business of the NFL can be hard to stomach.

goodell-laughing-.jpg.b743bf0d1bdfffd14a0d5da1b73aa757.jpg

On 4/20/2021 at 4:32 AM, UncleEarl said:

Like the new jerseys, hate the new pants. 

The black pants are fine in my view. And you could even say the white pants with black stripes are fine - if only used with the white jersey exclusively (essentially a color rush). But the white pants with orange stripes (the Nemo pants) are unforgivably bad. Who the hell signed off on these? 

On 4/20/2021 at 5:56 AM, WRAPradio said:

They need to make sure the stripes match on the jerseys and pants.  Please don’t wear the jersey with black stripes on the shoulder and pants with orange stripes.

Yeah my OCD is not going to be happy with a orange jersey and black stripes, matched with white pants with orange stripes. A total eye twitch. 

On 4/20/2021 at 8:50 AM, Griever said:

why only three stripes on each shoulder? I think one or two more would have looked nice.

Exactly. 5 stripes was probably the right number per side, not 3 (like so) ...

175672937-4531132783581192-9222835422005873254-n

On 4/20/2021 at 3:41 PM, Griever said:

Uni-Watch pointed something out I didn't even think of lol. They need to just fill in that white area with black!

An easy fix ...

NEW --------------------- vs ----------------- FIXED

bates-posebates-pose-2

I imagine the rule on jersey changes every 5 years applies to pants as well though ???

1 hour ago, BlackJesus said:

The black pants are fine in my view. And you could even say the white pants with black stripes are fine - if only used with the white jersey exclusively (essentially a color rush). But the white pants with orange stripes (the Nemo pants) are unforgivably bad. Who the hell signed off on these? 

Yeah my OCD is not going to be happy with a orange jersey and black stripes, matched with white pants with orange stripes. A total eye twitch. 

An easy fix ...

bates-posebates-pose-2

I imagine the rule on jersey changes every 5 years applies to pants as well though ???

The black and orange side panel definately upgraded as its blends well with the hemet..

The 5 stripes could have been a 4 bengal claws design..

All in all a nice upgrade..

On 4/24/2021 at 12:20 AM, BlackJesus said:

An easy fix ...

bates-posebates-pose-2

Nice fix. Hate the black outlined orange stripes.

• 4 weeks later...

Random jersey questions still 

I was wondering, if although the team showed like 9 combinations at the debut, they only really plan on using 3 combinations (those shown below)? I would hope for a 4th combination (the best I think) which is orange jersey with black pants. But those are actually the ONLY 4 combinations I feel they should ever use. 

The white jersey ONLY now works with the white pants (color rush), as the other 2 pants will badly clash and not work with it. Likewise, the black jersey can only be worn with the black pants, as the other 2 pants have stripes that terribly clash with it. I wonder if the team really thought about how all these combinations work together, or simply got to a point where they liked 3 looks meant to specifically be used together (see below), and ran with it. 

i

Other questions that I think remain unanswered: 

- If the black or orange jersey will be the primary one home?

- If the orange jersey can be worn as an away option with white pants? If not, that would mean that the Bengals would need to play all their away games in white color rush essentially (white on white) as again, the white jersey with black pants and white with orange pants clashes terribly. 

- Which combo is going to be their 2 times a year option, in the way that the orange jersey used to be? Is that still the orange jersey?

- Can a team alter their pants within the 5 year limit? I saw some guys elsewhere theorizing that the 5 year rule only applies to sellable parts of the uniform (the jersey and helmet) not the entire uniform and that since socks and pants are not sold, they might not be governed by the 5 year rule? If so, the white with orange stipes on the white pants needs to be colored in black ASAP.

- When does the team announce their uniform choices for the year's games? 

I admit I'm probably one of the only ones who devotes too much time to pondering these questions (I blame my OCD), but really there is a lot of unknown things still. 

12 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

Random jersey questions still 

I was wondering, if although the team showed like 9 combinations at the debut, they only really plan on using 3 combinations (those shown below)? I would hope for a 4th combination (the best I think) which is orange jersey with black pants. But those are actually the ONLY 4 combinations I feel they should ever use. 

The white jersey ONLY now works with the white pants (color rush), as the other 2 pants will badly clash and not work with it. Likewise, the black jersey can only be worn with the black pants, as the other 2 pants have stripes that terribly clash with it. I wonder if the team really thought about how all these combinations work together, or simply got to a point where they liked 3 looks meant to specifically be used together (see below), and ran with it. 

i

Other questions that I think remain unanswered: 

- If the black or orange jersey will be the primary one home?

- If the orange jersey can be worn as an away option with white pants? If not, that would mean that the Bengals would need to play all their away games in white color rush essentially (white on white) as again, the white jersey with black pants and white with orange pants clashes terribly. 

- Which combo is going to be their 2 times a year option, in the way that the orange jersey used to be? Is that still the orange jersey?

- Can a team alter their pants within the 5 year limit? I saw some guys elsewhere theorizing that the 5 year rule only applies to sellable parts of the uniform (the jersey and helmet) not the entire uniform and that since socks and pants are not sold, they might not be governed by the 5 year rule? If so, the white with orange stipes on the white pants needs to be colored in black ASAP.

- When does the team announce their uniform choices for the year's games? 

I admit I'm probably one of the only ones who devotes too much time to pondering these questions (I blame my OCD), but really there is a lot of unknown things still. 

Lots to unpack here, but I'm a uniform fanatic and the Bengals uniforms are specifically what drew me in as a fan when I was a kid.

Now then...I completely agree with your assessment that while there are 9 possible combinations, there is absolutely no way they all should be used. The photo of Tee Higgins is one of the most mismatched uni-combinations I've seen. I may have said it before in this thread, but it's like you are watching in color from the jersey up, and watching in black/white from the pants down. Doesn't look good at all. Unfortunately I think the look Joe Mixon was rocking falls into that same conundrum (albeit to a lesser degree due to some small orange accents):
image.png.1bd88b2e2476bc7206e2f20ab6be4f86.png      image.png.97744c7813240a7e5ef873b2e01f10bc.png

Conversely, the all white (the Joe Burrow ensemble) looks to be a replacement color rush option. And together, I think that it is a viable combo:

image.png.e7189e60f5886301cddc103769b8fa9e.png

All in all, I am in total agreement with you that the picture of the three mannequins you posted should be the main looks INCLUDING an orange/black option, as shown by Boyd. Honestly I think I may like that even more than the black/black option that was worn by hubbard:

image.png.4e429f3f458b65549796f30691435b9b.png    image.png.dbf567c18a9b98abcf1e04fd20718d09.png

Now going back to your questions:

- Looks like the "New Stripes" page on Bengals.com still has the black/white as "Primary"
image.png.d4af0f3ddc47fdc75d2f288ad40bc8cb.png

- This is a really good question. Take the MNF game against shitsburgh last year...that was a home game and they wore Orange. My guess is the Orange jersey could be coupled with black pants (Boyd picture above) for home games, and the finding Nemo whites (Jesse Bates) during away games. I can't find anything official regarding home/away rules for alternate jerseys

- Since we don't appear to have an official color rush anymore, my guess is the alternates (orange) will be the ones twice a year. Strangely enough, this may have actually increased to three times. Take a look at last year's uni-schedule...we had one game in orange and two in color rush. If we don't have the color rush anymore, wouldn't that leave 3 opportunities to wear the orange?
image.png.de88f2f9d68a37970a001eab6ccfd638.png

- I wish I knew the answer to that question, absolutely agree though that the finding Nemo pants have got to go. They don't even make sense.

- looks like last year they waited until right before the season started

image.png.8db2ca2fdcca516ebd735dbdb3bd4361.png

12 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

Another aside ... I saw some Super Bowl 23 footage the other day, and was reminded how awesome the uniforms looked back then.

The team should have just brought these back exactly. 😪

Flashback: Bengals vs. 49ers in Super Bowl XXIII

They really are awesome. Such a vintage look that stirs up memories of the SB squads. I'm guessing this has to do when I started watching football (the early 90s), but I was always the biggest fan of the leaping tiger uniforms. Love how they made the stripes bolder/broader. Such an awesome look. They played absolutely dreadful in them for the most part so I can totally understand the stigma attached to the look.

image.png.9ec72c50d1ad72494d0723e586255f48.png

Archived