Grading the New Uniforms ???

GRADE the New Uniforms? (and other issues)  

35 members have voted

1. 1. GRADE the Uniforms overall?

• A+
    • A
    • A-
    • B+
    • B
    • B-
    • C
    • D
    • F
    • EPIC FAIL
  2. 2. Favorite combination = Jersey / Pants ?

• Orange / Black
    • Orange / White (black stripes)
    • Orange / White (orange stripes)
    • Black / Black
    • Black / White (black stripes)
    • Black / White (orange stripes)
    • White / Black
    • White / White (black stripes)
    • White / White (orange stripes)
  3. 3. Are these the best Bengals uniforms ever?

• Yes
    • No
  4. 4. Are these new uniforms better than the 1980's Superbowl ones?

• Yes
    • No
  5. 5. Will you buy a new jersey this year?

• Yes
    • No

Just now, High School Harry said:

Hope it stays that way.

Yeah, I feel like orange pants are a Browns thing anyways. I'd be more interested in a specific throwback set. To me, how has the NFL missed the "Throwback Thursday" opportunity for this long. They play the stupid Thursday Night Football games every week. What a perfect opportunity to channel some history of the league through unis

6 hours ago, Griever said:

Yeah, I feel like orange pants are a Browns thing anyways. I'd be more interested in a specific throwback set. To me, how has the NFL missed the "Throwback Thursday" opportunity for this long. They play the stupid Thursday Night Football games every week. What a perfect opportunity to channel some history of the league through unis

I never understood this either. If they wanted to make the fans AND players happy about Thursday games they wpould do the following:

Must wear throwbacks (no exceptions)

Only play Thursday games after your bye week (play game, 10 days off,Thursday game, 10 days off)

Thanksgiving day games count as throwback/Thursday games

19 hours ago, Griever said:

I'm a uniform fanatic and the Bengals uniforms are specifically what drew me in as a fan when I was a kid.

Nice to find another uniform fanatic like myself. I think teams underestimate the importance of aesthetics and its effects on building a fan base etc. While players change teams and come and go, it's usually the uniform that is more eternal and long standing, and what conjures up the feeling of nostalgia that sports and fandom is constructed on.

Connected to this, I think it is not a coincidence that the teams who enjoy some of the most loyal fan bases (and success on the field), are also the ones that almost never alter their look, logos, uniforms, or traditions. I am still upset that some of the best uniforms in NFL history were replaced with garbage in comparison. Namely: the Dolphins 70's look, the Denver Broncos D, the Bucs creamsicles, the Hiking Pat Patriots, the old Eagles light greens, the Chargers powder blues, the Eric Dickerson Rams, the Lawrence Taylor Giants etc. What I fear is that the Bengals may now join that group and that the mismatched pants on the new set will create a feeling of 'what coulda been', where in 5 years fans ask for a return to the uniforms of the Super Bowl era (which I would support). 

A fundamental error I think the Bengals made with the new uniforms is they were influenced by the popularity of the white color rush from past years. They believed that the sales of those jerseys meant they were much better, but I would wager they were purchased more for their novelty factor, and almost always joined with the caveat "these would look great with a white tiger helmet to match" -- something not yet done. For instance, I would be ok with an all white tiger look (helmet as well) as a special thing for 2 games a year, but only for that, not permanently.

But the team saw the color rush popularity and thought, lets do all our new uniforms in this style (where the stripes are put on the jersey as stand alone things). But this does not make sense on a non color rush jersey! The black stripes need orange around them to be a tiger. That is what a tiger looks like and matches the helmet. So putting black stripes on a orange jersey fits and makes sense, but putting orange stripes on a black jersey doesn't make any sense at all. So actually the only jersey that makes sense is the teams orange one. And the only pair of pants that makes sense with both black stripes surrounded by orange is the black pants. So there is basically only one combination of the entire uniform that makes sense with the helmet, and that might be a version that is only eligible to be worn twice a year, and probably won't even be, as they will prefer the idiotic 'Nemo' pants for those 2 games to go with the orange jersey. 😏

The more I think about it, the more I am growing to dislike the new look. A good majority of this owes itself to the pants and the illogical pairing where you can't even wear the white jersey with black pants, or black jersey with white pants without the stripes clashing (which is uniform 101). I think the Bengals may have really shit the bed on this one, and it sucks, as most know I am not overly negative on Bengals things, and if anything am irrationally optimistic. The mock ups all over the internet of potential Bengals uniforms were really strong. And it's not hard to represent a tiger (orange fur with black stripes).

So how in the fuck, could the design team come out with 3 main uniform combos, where not a single one has black stripes surrounded by orange on the jersey and pants (taking out the orange jersey, black pants combo). To me the only way to salvage this, would be make the orange jersey the primary and ONLY wear it with black pants (do this for 6 home games) then do 3 home games with the black and black. Then play all 8 away games this year in the color rush white. (never using the Nemo pants at all). But really, it's a bummer to have to limit a teams choices so heavily, when really the tops and bottoms SHOULD be interchangeable. But on these uniforms they somehow are not. 

*obsessive rant over* 

16 hours ago, Griever said:

The photo of Tee Higgins is one of the most mismatched uni-combinations I've seen.

image.png.1bd88b2e2476bc7206e2f20ab6be4f86.png      

Louise Bobsburgers GIF - Louise Bobsburgers Twitch - Discover & Share GIFs

Just looking at this makes my blood pressure go up.

Although I admit I have issues, but it actually makes something physically happen in my body. 

• 4 weeks later...

Archived