Chase, Pitts, or Sewell ??? (closing arguments in last days)

Chase, Pitts, or Sewell ??? (final arguments)  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Assuming all 3 are available, who SHOULD the Bengals draft?

• WR Ja'Marr Chase
    • TE Kyle Pitts
    • OT Penei Sewell
  2. 2. Assuming all 3 are available, who do you PREDICT the Bengals will draft?

• Chase
    • Pitts
    • Sewell
  3. 3. Assuming Pitts is gone, who should the Bengals draft?

• Chase
    • Sewell
  4. 4. Assuming Chase is gone, who should the Bengals draft?

• Pitts
    • Sewell
  5. 5. Assuming Sewell is gone, who should the Bengals draft?

• Chase
    • Pitts
  6. 6. Is there a case to be made for not taking any of these 3 and taking someone else?

• Yes - (name them)
    • No
  7. 7. Would you support the Bengals trading back from #5?

• Yes
    • No
  8. 8. Positionally right now, which is the weakest of the 3 on the team ?

• WR Position
    • TE Position
    • OT Position
  9. 9. Positionally right now, which is the strongest of the 3 on the team ?

• WR Position
    • TE Position
    • OT Position
  10. 10. Regardless of the team they go to, which of these 3 players do you predict is most likely to be an All-Pro first?

• Chase
    • Pitts
    • Sewell
  11. 11. Should it matter if Burrow wants Chase, and should the team let that override their decision?

• Yes, give Joe what he wants
    • No, a QB is not a GM
    • Perhaps, or at least consider his view in a tie

PFF on Twitter: "Who should the Bengals select at No. 5? 🔸 Penei Sewell 🔸  Ja'Marr Chase 🔸 Kyle Pitts… "

Days before the draft, and it’s obvious that the Bengals will select one of 3 players: OT Penei Sewell, WR Ja’Marr Chase, or TE Kyle Pitts. So now the question becomes who should they take of these 3 and why?

With QB’s going picks 1-3, there is really only one team - Atlanta at 4 - that could take one of the 3 players the Bengals target (most likely Pitts) or they could trade that #4 pick to Dallas so they can take Pitts themselves. Miami could also move back up to 4 for Chase I guess. Of course, Atlanta could also go QB as well, giving Cincy their full choice of all 3.

• BlackJesus changed the title to Chase, Pitts, or Sewell ??? (closing arguments in last days)

Who should Bengals pick in 2021 NFL Draft? Exploring the Penei Sewell vs. Ja'Marr Chase vs. Kyle Pitts decision

WRITTEN BY BILL BENDER
04/23/2021

The Bengals don't have to take a quarterback with a top-five pick in the 2021 NFL Draft.

They took care of that last year with Joe Burrow, the No. 1 pick who has brought an aura of optimism to a franchise that has the second-worst record in the NFL since 2018.  

The Bengals have options with the No. 5 pick given the first four picks could be quarterbacks. The choice likely will come down to three intriguing prospects: Oregon tackle Penei Sewell, Florida tight end Kyle Pitts or LSU receiver Ja'Marr Chase.  

Sporting News breaks down the pros and cons for each pick and gives our decision:  

Penei Sewell, OT, Oregon  

Sewell allowed one sack in 1,376 snaps in two seasons with the Ducks. The 6-foot-6, 325-pound tackle opted out of his junior season, but he's regarded as the best offensive lineman in the 2020 class. He played left tackle as a sophomore but was recruited as a guard. 

So, why this even a discussion? The Bengals drafted Jonah Williams in the first round in 2019, and it doesn't sound like he's moving inside. Cincinnati also signed Riley Rieff at right tackle. Offensive-line depth is nice – and, yes, it's a priority given Burrow took 32 sacks in 10 games last season. 

So, would the Bengals ride with those tackles and go for a different impact player?  

Ja'Marr Chase, WR, LSU   

Chase also opted of the 2020 football season after a record-setting season with LSU in 2020. He finished with 85 receptions for 1,785 yards – an incredible 21.0 yards per reception – and 20 TDs as Burrow's favorite target on a national championship team.  

The 6-foot, 208-pound receiver has been out for a season, but he is the prototype WR1 in the NFL game and a natural replacement for A.J. Green – who ranks second all time in receiving yards and TDs in franchise history. Green left for Arizona this offseason. The Bengals still have a 1-2 combination that features Tyler Boyd and Tee Higgins – but those two receivers combined for 10 TDs last season. A true first receiver needs to be a double-digit TD player, and Chase would have that potential – not to mention a previous connection with Burrow.  

That said, Chase didn't play last season – and Alabama receiver DeVonta Smith and Jaylen Waddle took advantage of that absence. They could be in that discussion as the first receiver taken in the 2021 NFL Draft.  

Kyle Pitts, TE, Florida  

Pitts, who caught 43 passes for 770 yards and 12 TDs as a junior at Florida last season, could change the entire complexion of the offense. He is already drawing comparisons to Pro Football Hall of Fame receiver Calvin Johnson.  

The measurements are eye-popping. Pitts, who is 6-foot-5 and 245 pounds, has an 83-inch wingspan, runs a 4.44 in the 40-yard dash and has a 33.5-inch vertical. Drew Sample had 40 catches for 349 yards and a TD last season, but he is more of a possession receiver. Pitts is useful both down field and in the red zone, and several teams with top-10 picks are looking to make this move.  

Would this be the first bold play of the first round? The Bengals have tried this move before with Jermaine Gresham (2010) and Tyler Eifert (2013). 

Verdict  

A quick glance at four notable mock drafts shows that all three picks are a possibility. Mel Kiper and Vinnie Iyer have the Bengals taking Sewell, Todd McShay has Chase, and Daniel Jeremiah has Pitts.  

Pro Football Hall of Fame tackle Anthony Munoz, who spent 13 seasons with the Bengals, endorses the Sewell pick. Sewell could break in while Reiff plays on a one-year prove-it deal, and then be that franchise tackle that protects Burrow for the next decade. He is the safest pick, and Cincinnati could add a receiver like Terrace Marshall Jr. in the second round.  

Sewell doesn't have to be Munoz. The Oregon tackle just has to be a dependable tackle. 

Pitts would be a splash pick, but there are other teams – including Atlanta at No. 4 – could be in the mix for the tight end. There is no doubt Pitts would be a game-breaking presence in that offense, but there is an inherent risk in taking a tight end with a top-five pick.  

Chase would make more sense than Pitts. He has a connection with Burrow, and that would be a leverage play for the franchise quarterback. This would improve the down-field passing attack, too. SN's Vinnie Iyer has seven tackles being selected in the first round of the 2021 NFL Draft. There is depth at that position, and Cincinnati could find a starting offensive lineman in the second round.  

Our best guess? Cincinnati should take Sewell, but we won't be surprised if they take Chase.  

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/bengals-draft-picks-penei-sewell-jamarr-chase-kyle-pitts/xnvqicvs9spy1sha5quom2k2u

My initial thoughts …

- If QB’s go picks 1-4, the Bengals will essentially have the #1 pick for back to back years (I am not sure that has ever happened before).

- While I understand the arguments for taking any of the 3, and I don’t think any will be a bust, I think the ceiling is higher on Chase and Pitts than it is on Sewell.

- I think that the potential of Pitts might be the highest of all. Scouts describe him not as only as the best TE prospect of the last 10-20 years, but some say the best TE prospect in NFL history. He really shouldn’t be viewed as a TE, as he’s more a Calvin Johnson who likes to run block. The 6’6 height, but 4.3 speed, mixed with the arm length of a LT, really doesn’t exist in modern human beings. Moreover, I don’t think his measurables exist in a single other player in the NFL to that degree.

- With all that said, there is a case to be made for Chase as well, because of the college chemistry with Burrow. Normally, I would say Pitts should be the obvious choice, but what makes this a tough call is that Burrow has proven he can be dominant with Chase. Also, Chase seems like a great leader off the field, and whereas Pitts has the edge on the field (slightly), Chase has it off the field. Which makes them in my view, the 2 best players in the entire draft (I would put Lawrence at #3).

- The Bengals are in an ideal position, and the Dolphins did Cincy a huge favor by trading down. I think normally they would have taken Chase and Atlanta Pitts, leaving the Bengals neither.

- I do not think Sewell should be drafted by the Bengals. And it’s not because I don’t think he will be good, or that Cincy doesn't need an OT, it’s just I think he’s more like the 8th-12th best player in the draft. I also think the distance between Sewell and say someone like Leatherwood in Rd 2, is smaller than the distance between Pitts and a Rd 2 TE, or Chase and a Rd 2 WR. In fact, I think the strength of this OL class is in picks 20-40, where 6-8 OL might get drafted. Connected to that, I think there is also some great C’s in Rd 2 that would fill an immediate need and start this year, like Landon Dickerson or Creed Humphrey.

- I think the Bengals will take Chase most likely, but I think they are seriously considering Pitts if he is available. I found it interesting that Zac Taylor was at the Pitts pro day instead of the Chase one. However, part of me believes that either Atlanta may take Pitts or that Dallas or another team could trade up for him at #4. 

- I am 100% sure the Bengals will not trade down. They essentially have the best pick in the entire draft. And you don't give that up when a few potential hall of famers are right there. 

24 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

My initial thoughts …

- If QB’s go picks 1-4, the Bengals will essentially have the #1 pick for back to back years (I am not sure that has ever happened before).

- While I understand the arguments for taking any of the 3, and I don’t think any will be a bust, I think the ceiling is higher on Chase and Pitts than it is on Sewell.

- I think that the potential of Pitts might be the highest of all. Scouts describe him not as only as the best TE prospect of the last 10-20 years, but some say the best TE prospect in NFL history. He really shouldn’t be viewed as a TE, as he’s more a Calvin Johnson who likes to run block. The 6’6 height, but 4.3 speed, mixed with the arm length of a LT, really doesn’t exist in modern human beings. Moreover, I don’t think his measurables exist in a single other player in the NFL to that degree.

- With all that said, there is a case to be made for Chase as well, because of the college chemistry with Burrow. Normally, I would say Pitts should be the obvious choice, but what makes this a tough call is that Burrow has proven he can be dominant with Chase. Also, Chase seems like a great leader off the field, and whereas Pitts has the edge on the field (slightly), Chase has it off the field. Which makes them in my view, the 2 best players in the entire draft (I would put Lawrence at #3).

- The Bengals are in an ideal position, and the Dolphins did Cincy a huge favor by trading down. I think normally they would have taken Chase and Atlanta Pitts, leaving the Bengals neither.

- I do not think Sewell should be drafted by the Bengals. And it’s not because I don’t think he will be good, or that Cincy doesn't need an OT, it’s just I think he’s more like the 8th-12th best player in the draft. I also think the distance between Sewell and say someone like Leatherwood in Rd 2, is smaller than the distance between Pitts and a Rd 2 TE, or Chase and a Rd 2 WR. In fact, I think the strength of this OL class is in picks 20-40, where 6-8 OL might get drafted. Connected to that, I think there is also some great C’s in Rd 2 that would fill an immediate need and start this year, like Landon Dickerson or Creed Humphrey.

- I think the Bengals will take Chase most likely, but I think they are seriously considering Pitts if he is available. I found it interesting that Zac Taylor was at the Pitts pro day instead of the Chase one. However, part of me believes that either Atlanta may take Pitts or that Dallas or another team could trade up for him at #4. 

- I am 100% sure the Bengals will not trade down. They essentially have the best pick in the entire draft. And you don't give that up when a few potential hall of famers are right there. 

Good comments..

Its similar to a horse race..

Sewell outta the gate first then Pitts coming on as Chase just stays right with both of them at the final turn.

My money is on Sewell...

1 hour ago, BlackJesus said:

some say the best TE prospect in NFL history

Cynic that I am, this kind of talk makes me want nothing to do with him.  I've watched far too many "freak athletes" end up as very marginal football players.  I understand there's much more to it but for me it's like..  Who gives a shit about his broad jump numbers?

That being said, he seems like a better WR prospect than Chase, because that's what he really is..  a big WR.  He'd be an ideal target for all the check-down passes that need to become a big part of Joe's game if we're sticking with the ridiculous 40+ attempts "scheme".

Ultimately I think trading down & grabbing Slater plus a few extra 2nd/3rd picks makes far more sense than any of those 3 options.  Say again we need 6-10 good players far more than we need one great one right now.

Taking a WR at 5 instead because this is a weak draft for WR's so that makes them more valuable strikes me as some particularly brokedick logic but I guess that's why I'm not an expert GM/draft scout/file clerk like Duke Tobin.  We're trying to win football games, not draft grades.

I am in total agreement with Mr Jesus (scary thought, there :) ).

Pitts would be the best option for the team for the next decade.

One thing that gets me is we seem to be too hung up on this Tight End stuff.

Drafting him does not mean nailing him down to the tight end position.

And there have been times when we have split our tight ends out, anyway.

He would draw double coverage and/or be a mismatch no matter where he lined up.

Jackson III covering Pitts is Spotto wet dream material.

Sewell is obviously the best OT in the draft.

However... he is now showing some warts.

O line in round 2 sounds good however there will be one fewer there

after the Orlando Brown trade.

As far as Chase... I sometimes think if he had not been an LSU Bayou Bengal

and fave receiver and asshole buddy of Burrow, how much would that diminish

his local appeal?  And the Bengals would sell a hella lot of #1 Chase new design jerseys.

Pitt is the best choice.

But they won't take him.

I'm on record as a supporter of Sewell........but........I can honestly agree with ALL of the posts above.

This sure as hell is an interesting position to be in. There is no "wrong" - just different flavors of a 5 star meal.

This is a lot better than the " maybe Keith Rivers can live up to the pick" - or - "who thought John Ross was a good choice??!!"

Should be fun!

I'm on Team Sewell if the Bengals stay at 5. A tradedown for fair value would be even better. But among the 3 options listed here, Sewell should be the choice as picking him is the beginning of building an above-average O-line. Remember when we had one of those and could run or pass as we wanted? Colleges mostly run spread offenses now and turn out lots of good receivers every year. Between Pitts and Chase, it should be Pitts. He's a much rarer prospect, though comparing him to Calvin Johnson is silly. He's not the athlete Megatron was but no other WR or TE prospect ever has been. 

As mentioned previously if I were the Bengals I would have left Lawson's spot open and used the money on Matt Feiler, Kevin Zeitler, and Josh Reynolds while swapping Kyle Rudolph in for CJ Uzomah. That would cover more holes and leave the need for a starting RDE and depth and playmakers elsewhere. With no pass rushers worthy of pick 5 but several good options at 38, the draft would be wide open. In that situation Pitts would be the choice at 5 with someone like Boogie Basham at 38 the pick. Or trade down and take Micah Parsons plus another 2nd rounder. 

This team remains funny in the sense of “can’t build the OL in one year” - KC just did. This team simply won’t commit large dollars to the whole line so it is not surprising they are leaning Chase. 

I think most teams in the same position would pick Sewell and probably another OL in round 2. 

Yeah, it's funny how the Bengals seem to expect their franchise QB to function at a high level behind a bad O-line while the team that's been to the SuperBowl the last 2 years knows their franchise QB needs not only weapons but protection. Since they are a better run team, they addressed their problems while the Bengals just wish and hope.

I am team Chase, but I'm good with any of the 3.  I just don't see them taking Pitts, but if used properly he could be great in this offense.  I would be ok trading back a little, especially if the top 4 are all QBs.  I think Waddle or Darrisaw could also be impact players for us.

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

Yeah, it's funny how the Bengals seem to expect their franchise QB to function at a high level behind a bad O-line while the team that's been to the SuperBowl the last 2 years knows their franchise QB needs not only weapons but protection. Since they are a better run team, they addressed their problems while the Bengals just wish and hope.

The 2 worst players on the O-line last year are no longer starting, in fact one is gone.  The line isn't great yet, but I think they've made it out of "bad"  And they can get a good OL at 38, and a future starting guard at 69.  This is a deep OL draft.  Sewell isn't the only way to make the line better.

20 minutes ago, Jason said:

The 2 worst players on the O-line last year are no longer starting, in fact one is gone.  The line isn't great yet, but I think they've made it out of "bad"  And they can get a good OL at 38, and a future starting guard at 69.  This is a deep OL draft.  Sewell isn't the only way to make the line better.

Which brings us back to Dufus and his short bus scouting staff. The pick at 5 is easy in that there will be at least 2 excellent choices - the hope of any kind of build with JB and coach Shula II starts with round 2. Rubber hits the road, they hit on last years 2 but the LB's picked after that are still questionable, and these are spots they could have taken OL with. 

My opinion changes daily and I don't really have a strong preference.

I do want them to stay in the top 8 or 9 and get one of these three (or Slater) but I don't think there's going to be much of a market within the top 9 to move up. So I think they'll have to stay where they are. 

I went other/trade down.  If I get an offer from someone in the 7-10 range (no lower) of a minimum of a 2nd and 3rd I do it (especially if Sewell / Chase / Slater are all there).

Chase.  Of the three listed.  I think Chase is the most ready to step in and have a big impact from day 1 and he would be a starter, the need IS THERE.  The argument "Hey, we've got Boyd and Chase, we have no need for a receiver is as  stupid as any I've seen on this board (more below). Boyd is a slot, not an outside guy.

Pair him with Higgins with Boyd inside and you create a lot of  miss matches,  I believe it would be asinine to go into the season with just 2 top-shelf WR's.  The fact that an injury leaves you with just one is unacceptable to start.  And there's no downside to giving Burrows as many receiving options as possible (would probably make Mixon's life easier as well.

Sewell.  The only way I stay at five and take Sewell is if I'm dedicated to moving Williams off LT to LG or RT.  I have no doubt Penni is very talented, but not sure he's a cinch 10-year Pro-bowler from the jump. 

I think he's gonna need some developmental time to reach his top-potential  and gotta ask if I want that guarding Joe's backside coming off the injury.  If I want to install an OL I take in Rd 1 at RT for at least this season.  I think the leaerning curve will be even steeper.

Slater.  The "least elite" of the three, but probably the most versatile and 2nd-most ready to start from day 1 after chase.  Like I said, if LT is your go, by all means, Sewell is your man.  I a solid RG who might move to RT in a year or so though, I'd be just as comfortable with Slater (maybe more so) - especially with at least two extra premium picks in hand.  Slater gives you an option at RG or RT and possible even OC going forward.  I don't think that should be under-estimated the value in versatility when looking down the road.

Conclusion.  I don't share the opinion that an OT @ 5 is a must for the coming season.  You have fairly sold options at tackle in Williams and Reiff.  You have no starter-worthy options at one wideout spot. You're not going to have a settles 5-year OLine at all 4 spots this season.  This line will take at least one more draft (maybe two) to get there.   Versatility is undervalued IMO.

OT would definitely be a value there, but not a stone-cold must.  if you can deal down and still get either Slater or Sewell (or Chase)  If you stay put, you can probably address one OL spot early.  I believe you can go WR or Oline in Rd 1 and still fill the other spot in Rd 2.

With an extra 2nd & 3rd (a premium '22 pick would be my 3rd ask if possible), you'd have the option to take two or even three OL in the first two days as well as an EDGE or other another spot or two.

Bottom line for me is if my option is 

(Stay at 5)

01. Sewell / Chase

02. WR / OL (depending on Rd 1 pick)

03. EDGE (or) 2nd OL (or) other BP

(or)

01. Sewell / Chase / Slater / (even Waddle if all three are gone)

02. WR / OL (depending on Rd 1 pick) PLUS  a top-tier EDGE

03. A 2nd OL AND a BPA wild card position

...give me door number two all day.

I think this club needs Quality AND Quantity.  Fill enough hole this rear and fine-tune in '22.

4 hours ago, Jason said:

What's really "funny" is how come on hear think picking Sewell is the ONLY way you're gonna improve the OL in front of Geaux.  One certainty is that by the end of this season you won't have five guys in the spots they'll be in 3-4 years from now.

As of now, you're starting tackles are Williams & Reiff, if your intention is to keep it that way, I actually would prefer a trade down and either Sewell or Slater over just Sewell @ 5.  The only way Sewell @5 is my pick is if I plan on installing him at LT and living with the consequences for a season (and don't think there won't be consequences).

Almost as "funny" is that WR is neither a need or a value in the first round.  Chase is my pick if they stay at 5.  I think he is most likely to make both a long[term & immediate impact and stay where I put him.  I also believe a starting quality OL (or WR) will be available at the top of round two.

Remember, you addressing five spots on the OL, not one spot in particular.  Stop gaps like Spain & Reiff are gonna be in the picture along with Williams and (hopefully Hopkins).  Not sure an out of position Sewell is any better than the more versatile Slater or a round two OL (especially on the right side.  No matter who you pick, chance are OL will likely have to be addressed early next year any way.

I'm fine with any of the three with our first pick. The reason I prefer Sewell (or Slater in a trade down) is that I don't trust the clown brigade to properly fix the o-line with later picks. 

I can just imagine them drafting Chase then Dickerson. That would give us an injury prone LT and an even more injury prone G/C. They'll look great on paper and make a solid pairing on the IR.

57 minutes ago, bentheprop said:

I'm fine with any of the three with our first pick. The reason I prefer Sewell (or Slater in a trade down) is that I don't trust the clown brigade to properly fix the o-line with later picks. 

I can just imagine them drafting Chase then Dickerson. That would give us an injury prone LT and an even more injury prone G/C. They'll look great on paper and make a solid pairing on the IR.

Good post...

Do you realize youve had 12 posts in 12yrs..

Like to read your input more on here..

One thing about Pitts, if you have a lineup of Higgins, Boyd and a solid WR you pickup later in the draft or in post-draft FA with Pitts a TE (not to mention Mixon @ RB), you might have DC's leaping out of Windows.  You have to cover the outside receivers, but then who covers Pitts?  Better be someone who can handle a quality WR.

17 hours ago, Jason said:

The line isn't great yet, but I think they've made it out of "bad"  

Based on what? They haven't taken a snap yet.  Also, who is playing RG?  

This OL was so ridiculously bad last year that they could improve by 100% and still suck.  That's not a joke or hyperbole.

15 hours ago, BengalFanInTO said:

So wait, stop me if you’ve heard this but, the Chiefs just spent top dollar in free agency and made a big trade to solidify their line? That seems ridiculous, no? Why not a WR?!? Dumbasses...

The Chiefs just lost BOTH starting tackles so yeah, it kind of became a priority.  

I agree with black Jesus.  

IMHO Atlanta takes Pitts at 4.  Matt Ryan is NOT the problem there.  

That leaves Chase and Sewell.  Honestly, our defense is so bad I would rather trade back, pray Jonah and Reiff stay healthy and fill in some spots with the extra picks.   We can get a good (not great) WR later.  

I did enjoy the Shake and Blake teams with their top 10 offenses but man those defenses were terrible. 

However,  like BJ, I don’t see them trading down.  Whoever they pick at 5 will be a great player in my opinion.  I think Chase is the pick.  

Archived