Chase, Pitts, or Sewell ??? (closing arguments in last days)

Chase, Pitts, or Sewell ??? (final arguments)  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Assuming all 3 are available, who SHOULD the Bengals draft?

• WR Ja'Marr Chase
    • TE Kyle Pitts
    • OT Penei Sewell
  2. 2. Assuming all 3 are available, who do you PREDICT the Bengals will draft?

• Chase
    • Pitts
    • Sewell
  3. 3. Assuming Pitts is gone, who should the Bengals draft?

• Chase
    • Sewell
  4. 4. Assuming Chase is gone, who should the Bengals draft?

• Pitts
    • Sewell
  5. 5. Assuming Sewell is gone, who should the Bengals draft?

• Chase
    • Pitts
  6. 6. Is there a case to be made for not taking any of these 3 and taking someone else?

• Yes - (name them)
    • No
  7. 7. Would you support the Bengals trading back from #5?

• Yes
    • No
  8. 8. Positionally right now, which is the weakest of the 3 on the team ?

• WR Position
    • TE Position
    • OT Position
  9. 9. Positionally right now, which is the strongest of the 3 on the team ?

• WR Position
    • TE Position
    • OT Position
  10. 10. Regardless of the team they go to, which of these 3 players do you predict is most likely to be an All-Pro first?

• Chase
    • Pitts
    • Sewell
  11. 11. Should it matter if Burrow wants Chase, and should the team let that override their decision?

• Yes, give Joe what he wants
    • No, a QB is not a GM
    • Perhaps, or at least consider his view in a tie

I think Atl takes a QB, likely Fields if SF does indeed take Jones. Matt Ryan may not be the problem there but he’s still on his last legs. Pretty good bet they’re not going to be in this position again for awhile...take the QB now, let him sit for a year behind Ryan and then they can have a seamless transition in 22. 

38 minutes ago, SF2 said:

I agree with black Jesus.  

IMHO Atlanta takes Pitts at 4.  Matt Ryan is NOT the problem there.  

That leaves Chase and Sewell.  Honestly, our defense is so bad I would rather trade back, pray Jonah and Reiff stay healthy and fill in some spots with the extra picks.   We can get a good (not great) WR later. 

I did enjoy the Shake and Blake teams with their top 10 offenses but man those defenses were terrible.  

If not, whoever they pick at 5 will be a great player in my opinion. 

I honestly feel like the problems on D are less about the players and more about the Coordinator. I'm not a Lou fan at all.

1 minute ago, Jamie_B said:

I honestly feel like the problems on D are less about the players and more about the Coordinator. I'm not a Lou fan at all.

Fair enough and certainly didn’t help.  

43 minutes ago, Duluoz said:

My knock on Sewell is he has the greatest risk of not living up to his alleged potential. If he's as good as he's supposed to be then he'd be a good pick, but the guy hasn't even played in a year.

Am I wrong in thinking Chase didn't play last year either?

I would say Pitts has the greatest risk of not living up to his alleged potential, unless he wins ROTY on the way to 5 Super Bowl MVPs in a HoF career that also sees him curing cancer and discovering time travel in the offseason.  Every year some rookie is supposed to come in and turn the NFL world upside down.  That rarely happens and even when it does (someone like Vick for example) teams adjust pretty quickly (defend him like a RB).  Far more often they go the John Ross route.

26 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I would say Pitts has the greatest risk of not living up to his alleged potential, unless he wins ROTY on the way to 5 Super Bowl MVPs in a HoF career that also sees him curing cancer and discovering time travel in the offseason.  Every year some rookie is supposed to come in and turn the NFL world upside down.  That rarely happens and even when it does (someone like Vick for example) teams adjust pretty quickly (defend him like a RB).  Far more often they go the John Ross route.

Wait, Ross had a route?

1 hour ago, spicoli said:

I think Atl takes a QB, likely Fields if SF does indeed take Jones. Matt Ryan may not be the problem there but he’s still on his last legs. Pretty good bet they’re not going to be in this position again for awhile...take the QB now, let him sit for a year behind Ryan and then they can have a seamless transition in 22. 

Atlanta is more likely to trade down than we are. If a team wants to move up for Lance/Fields (assuming the draft starts Lawrence, Wilson, Jones) than the Falcons are the team they'd call. Atlanta's biggest needs are on defense but there is no elite pass rusher available this year. Ryan can't be traded or cut until 2023 due to his restructuring this offseason. Julio could be cut or traded after 2021. So Atlanta is unlikely to take a QB this year as he'd have to sit for a couple years at least. If they stay at 4 then Pitts seems likely or maybe Sewell. 

The Bengals don't currently have any O-linemen who could be described as Above Average. The line as a whole has been way Below Average, indeed Bad. For the line as a whole to become Above Average, it would help if at least a couple of the players were Above Average for their position. Picking Sewell instead of some 2nd round faller would be a start on getting there.  Yes, the Bengals have missed on high O-line picks recently but Sewell would have been the first OT taken if he'd been in last year's draft, ahead of Wirfs, Wills, and Becton. Don't overthink this and miss the elite player for the faster Anquan Boldin type. 

1 hour ago, spicoli said:

I was always thinking this is their most logical route as well but there a couple things I wasn't aware of, most especially Ryan's contract.

- He has 3 years left on his deal, with an option for the team to get out of it after this season.  *However*, that would leave $40M (!!) of dead cap for 2022 (at least according to spotrac).  The only way I see Atlanta taking his route is if they are going 100% blow-it-up rebuild.

- Not much less impactful is his last season in the deal - $15M of dead cap and it's a $20M salary.

- The reality of it all is they're still in "win now" mode, and with a pick as high as #4 they have to make that pick one that helps them now, and a QB who will sit for up to 3 years is supposedly not one they're willing to make.

So unless Ryan can guarantee them he'll retire they're in a tough spot (and for what it's worth "the pundits" say he has no intention of doing so).

We'll find out soon enough.

33 minutes ago, HavePityPlease said:

So unless Ryan can guarantee them he'll retire they're in a tough spot (and for what it's worth "the pundits" say he has no intention of doing so).

He doesn’t have to retire, he just has to work something out with the team as far as the contract goes. It’s not unheard of. He’d get a shot at a fresh start so he very well might be willing to work with them in an amicable way. I doubt seriously if either side wants to screw the other. 

Just now, westside bengal said:

I believe any of the 3...Chase, Sewell, or Pitts can help the Bengals.  Hopefully, a lot more than Price, Ross, and Oogie Boogie did.

That is what really scares me, I just do not have a lot of confidence in the folks making the draft choices for the Bengals.

And not all that much confidence in those coaching the choices. And the coaches have a significant say in the choices. Hence the scouting issues.

2 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Valid points (yes, Chase sat out last year, too)...and Pitts is indeed being buried in media hype with his freak athleticism and size. I just feel like Pitts and Chase have proven themselves on the collegiate playing field because we can all see their performances and how good they are. OTs (Sewell), on the other hand,are rarely the focus of camera coverage and are shrouded in mystery. Can you recall any of Sewell's best plays?

1 hour ago, Duluoz said:

Valid points (yes, Chase sat out last year, too)...and Pitts is indeed being buried in media hype with his freak athleticism and size. I just feel like Pitts and Chase have proven themselves on the collegiate playing field because we can all see their performances and how good they are. OTs (Sewell), on the other hand,are rarely the focus of camera coverage and are shrouded in mystery. Can you recall any of Sewell's best plays?

Not to belabour this battle of "wants", but Sewell won the Outland at 19, we don't need to really question his collegiate career.  Also I think the reason so many do consider him "generational" (a bit "generous" for any person at any position IMO) is how devastating some of his highlights are - it just depends on whether an OT sprinting out and crushing people floats your boat or not, i.e. whether you're actually looking for it.  For example this is one of the reasons I like Jonah Williams - the dude cares, he takes it personally, and he's vicious when trying to protect his QB.  For the same reason I dislike Michael Jordan because he stands there with his cock in his hand after his man gets by him.

My favourite play in football is when a linebacker or safety makes a solo play in the backfield out of nothing (which is why I loved Odell so much).  Maybe it's because I played defense myself and LB was my favourite of all the positions, but it is what it is, different people enjoy/appreciate different things - I like looking at what's happening in the trenches.

3 hours ago, Duluoz said:

OTs (Sewell), on the other hand,are rarely the focus of camera coverage and are shrouded in mystery. Can you recall any of Sewell's best plays?

Well no, because he's an OT.  That right there is why the Bengals are leaning towards Chase.  There's no question that OL is a glaring need, but there's no fantasy football points for blocking.

4 hours ago, HavePityPlease said:

Not to belabour this battle of "wants", but Sewell won the Outland at 19, we don't need to really question his collegiate career.  Also I think the reason so many do consider him "generational" (a bit "generous" for any person at any position IMO) is how devastating some of his highlights are - it just depends on whether an OT sprinting out and crushing people floats your boat or not, i.e. whether you're actually looking for it.  For example this is one of the reasons I like Jonah Williams - the dude cares, he takes it personally, and he's vicious when trying to protect his QB.  For the same reason I dislike Michael Jordan because he stands there with his cock in his hand after his man gets by him.

My favourite play in football is when a linebacker or safety makes a solo play in the backfield out of nothing (which is why I loved Odell so much).  Maybe it's because I played defense myself and LB was my favourite of all the positions, but it is what it is, different people enjoy/appreciate different things - I like looking at what's happening in the trenches.

If you're a trench guy then you're obviously hoping Penei Sewell is is wearing a Bengals uni next season, while I, on the other hand, would much rather see Chase or Pitts, so one of us is going to be disappointed.

The "chemistry" angle between Chase/Burrow is overrated and lazy analysis.  If Burrow is great, it shouldn't matter.  In fact if your QB is great, WR is the most overrated position on your team.  Chiefs don't have great WR.  They are good; not great. 

Rice was the best of all time and won titles with Montana.  Of course that overlooks the fact that Montana/Walsh won titles before Rice got there. 

41 minutes ago, Duluoz said:

If you're a trench guy then you're obviously hoping Penei Sewell is is wearing a Bengals uni next season, while I, on the other hand, would much rather see Chase or Pitts, so one of us is going to be disappointed.

Well actually I just want them to take the best OL they can, and would prefer they trade down and take a Slater (or Sewell depending on how it falls).  I'll only really be disappointed if they take *no* OL until the third round or later.  If they take someone in round 2 I'll just have to hope Pollack gets more out of the group than Turner (possible) and they stay healthy (😬)

18 minutes ago, HavePityPlease said:

Well actually I just want them to take the best OL they can, and would prefer they trade down and take a Slater (or Sewell depending on how it falls).  I'll only really be disappointed if they take *no* OL until the third round or later.  If they take someone in round 2 I'll just have to hope Pollack gets more out of the group than Turner (possible) and they stay healthy (😬)

"The 2021 tackle class brings unprecedented depth. As it stands, all 10 of the players below are among the top 55 on PFF’s draft board and eight are in the top 40. It’s a rare class where you won’t necessarily have to snag one early to get a quality player."

2021 NFL Draft offensive tackle rankings

6 hours ago, membengal said:

And Chase won the Blitnikoff at 19. 

More impressively, Sewell won the Outland when he was 18. Lots of 19 year olds are fast and play well at WR. Nobody else has won the Outland at such an early age which is why he would have been the first OT taken last year if he'd been eligible.

Archived