Chase, Pitts, or Sewell ??? (closing arguments in last days)

Chase, Pitts, or Sewell ??? (final arguments)  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Assuming all 3 are available, who SHOULD the Bengals draft?

• WR Ja'Marr Chase
    • TE Kyle Pitts
    • OT Penei Sewell
  2. 2. Assuming all 3 are available, who do you PREDICT the Bengals will draft?

• Chase
    • Pitts
    • Sewell
  3. 3. Assuming Pitts is gone, who should the Bengals draft?

• Chase
    • Sewell
  4. 4. Assuming Chase is gone, who should the Bengals draft?

• Pitts
    • Sewell
  5. 5. Assuming Sewell is gone, who should the Bengals draft?

• Chase
    • Pitts
  6. 6. Is there a case to be made for not taking any of these 3 and taking someone else?

• Yes - (name them)
    • No
  7. 7. Would you support the Bengals trading back from #5?

• Yes
    • No
  8. 8. Positionally right now, which is the weakest of the 3 on the team ?

• WR Position
    • TE Position
    • OT Position
  9. 9. Positionally right now, which is the strongest of the 3 on the team ?

• WR Position
    • TE Position
    • OT Position
  10. 10. Regardless of the team they go to, which of these 3 players do you predict is most likely to be an All-Pro first?

• Chase
    • Pitts
    • Sewell
  11. 11. Should it matter if Burrow wants Chase, and should the team let that override their decision?

• Yes, give Joe what he wants
    • No, a QB is not a GM
    • Perhaps, or at least consider his view in a tie

14 hours ago, Duluoz said:

"The 2021 tackle class brings unprecedented depth. As it stands, all 10 of the players below are among the top 55 on PFF’s draft board and eight are in the top 40. It’s a rare class where you won’t necessarily have to snag one early to get a quality player."

2021 NFL Draft offensive tackle rankings

Exactly.

20 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Exactly.

That’s really not the point.  The Bengals need an offensive lineman that can step in and play day 1.  That’s why taking one in round 1 is important.  Much more likely that Sewell can play day one than any of the round 2 or 3 guys. Whether he plays guard or tackle he would likely be an upgrade, which is sorely needed. As the Bengals stand now there are still plenty of question marks on that line.  

If the Bengals are looking to replace Reiff next season and second round pick would be great.  Doesn’t bode well for this season on the interior line. 

3 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

That’s really not the point.  The Bengals need an offensive lineman that can step in and play day 1.  That’s why taking one in round 1 is important.  Much more likely that Sewell can play day one than any of the round 2 or 3 guys. Whether he plays guard or tackle he would likely be an upgrade, which is sorely needed. As the Bengals stand now there are still plenty of question marks on that line.  

If the Bengals are looking to replace Reiff next season and second round pick would be great.  Doesn’t bode well for this season on the interior line. 

Except nobody we take in round 1 is going to be a step in and play day one at the tackle position, any guy we draft will be playing guard to start and you can indeed get those guys in round 2 or 3. The bigger question is can those guys transition to tackle over the long term or be able to play as needed if one of the starters goes down.

Right now, former players Anthony Munoz, Ken Anderson, Carson Palmer, Willie Anderson, Dave Lapham, TJ Houshmandzadeh and Tim McGee have gone on record saying the Bengals should take Sewell. Chris Collinsworth thinks we should take Ja'Marr Chase but, he's also a Stealers fan.

16 hours ago, spicoli said:

Man I have a real strong feeling they’re taking DL in R2. Basham or Milton Williams. 

I do too and, I have no issue with this. It's why WR isn't an option for me until the third round. Offensive line and defensive line need the help much more than WR at this point and for me, this is where my investment is going early if I am the Bengals.

2 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

Sounds like the Falcons are now taking offers for Julio Jones for cap reasons.  No guarantee Chase is still there at 5. 

I have never understood how this hasn't been speculated more heavily. Jones is 32 years old. Why not take his replacement this year? Bottom line, they've got some aged players in some ugly contracts right now.

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

Except nobody we take in round 1 is going to be a step in and play day one at the tackle position, any guy we draft will be playing guard to start and you can indeed get those guys in round 2 or 3. The bigger question is can those guys transition to tackle over the long term or be able to play as needed if one of the starters goes down.

Eh, you don't know that Sewell isn't the real deal.  Some think he is.  Williams would have started day 1 if he was healthy.  I expect Sewell would be a significant upgrade at guard if that is where the Bengals put him this season.  Sewell has been described as a big, strong and aggressive lineman.  Sounds good to me.  Second or third round guard?  Less likely. 

If the Bengals pick a first or second round OL and they aren't and upgrade immediately the offensive line is still a big issue and Joe Burrow is in danger.  Signing and hoping a guy like Trei Turner works out is the kind of thing the Bengals have been doing for a while.  You've seen the results. 

4 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Eh, you don't know that Sewell isn't the real deal.  Some think he is.  Williams would have started day 1 if he was healthy.  I expect Sewell would be a significant upgrade at guard if that is where the Bengals put him this season.  Sewell has been described as a big, strong and aggressive lineman.  Sounds good to me.  Second or third round guard?  Less likely. 

If the Bengals pick a first or second round OL and they aren't and upgrade immediately the offensive line is still a big issue and Joe Burrow is in danger.  Signing and hoping a guy like Trei Turner works out is the kind of thing the Bengals have been doing for a while.  You've seen the results. 

I made no claims on if he is or is not the real deal. I'm not sure where you got that idea.

Of course Williams was going to start his first year (had he not gotten hurt) we were in a different place, when Williams was drafted we had Cedric Ogbuehi starting at LT. I don't think either one of us think he was remotely good.

If you believe Taylor, Williams, even if we draft Sewell is the day 1 starter and Reiff the day 1 starter on the right side. Which means whomever we draft even if it's Sewell, is going to be starting at guard on day 1 at best.

If that wasn't clear from my initial post.

3 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

I made no claims on if he is or is not the real deal. I'm not sure where you got that idea.

Of course Williams was going to start his first year (had he not gotten hurt) we were in a different place, when Williams was drafted we had Cedric Ogbuehi starting at LT. I don't think either one of us think he was remotely good.

If you believe Taylor, Williams, even if we draft Sewell is the day 1 starter and Reiff the day 1 starter on the right side. Which means whomever we draft even if it's Sewell, is going to be starting at guard on day 1 at best.

If that wasn't clear from my initial post.

I got that idea when you said "nobody we take in round 1 is going to be a step in and play day one at the tackle position." 

Sewell may very well be that good.  In that case Williams can slide to guard and take over RT next season.  Or, Williams could end up hurt again.  In that case would you rather have Sewell biding his time at guard, or having to plug in Adeniji again??  I feel if the Bengals pick Sewell they have just upgraded their offensive line the best way they could in the draft.  Picking a tackle or guard in the second round is nice, but most likely to be beneficial down the road.

Just now, UncleEarl said:

I got that idea when you said "nobody we take in round 1 is going to be a step in and play day one at the tackle position." 

Sewell may very well be that good.  In that case Williams can slide to guard and take over RT next season.  Or, Williams could end up hurt again.  In that case would you rather have Sewell biding his time at guard, or having to plug in Adeniji again??  I feel if the Bengals pick Sewell they have just upgraded their offensive line the best way they could in the draft.  Picking a tackle or guard in the second round is nice, but most likely to be beneficial down the road.

You inferred something I never said.

Oooooorrrrr we believe Zack Taylor and Williams is the day 1 starter.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just now, Jamie_B said:

You inferred something I never said.

Oooooorrrrr we believe Zack Taylor and Williams is the day 1 starter.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sorry if I misunderstood, but I quoted you directly.  I don't think it's impossible that Sewell could start at LT day one.  First of all, I'm not convinced Williams is that good, or can stay healthy.  Also, Taylor's quote about Williams wasn't that firm.

htthttps://twitter.com/Ben_Baby/status/1369694098446151688?s=20ps://twitter.com/Ben_Baby/status/1369694098446151688?s=20

1 minute ago, UncleEarl said:

Sorry if I misunderstood, but I quoted you directly.  I don't think it's impossible that Sewell could start at LT day one.  First of all, I'm not convinced Williams is that good, or can stay healthy.  Also, Taylor's quote about Williams wasn't that firm.

htthttps://twitter.com/Ben_Baby/status/1369694098446151688?s=20ps://twitter.com/Ben_Baby/status/1369694098446151688?s=20

"You can never say anything is set in stone, but I am very comfortable with Jonah at left tackle, I thought he made alot of improvement as the games went on and were excited to get him back there next year."

I suppose that gives you a sliver oh hope that Sewell could start day one at LT if we draft him. I tend to fall on the side that Taylor likes Williams at LT and is happy to keep him there.

Which is why I think no matter who we draft they will be penciled in at guard.

14 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

"You can never say anything is set in stone, but I am very comfortable with Jonah at left tackle, I thought he made alot of improvement as the games went on and were excited to get him back there next year."

I suppose that gives you a sliver oh hope that Sewell could start day one at LT if we draft him. I tend to fall on the side that Taylor likes Williams at LT and is happy to keep him there.

Which is why I think no matter who we draft they will be penciled in at guard.

I guess you hear what you want to hear.  I didn't hear "Jonah Williams is our LT."  Taylor also said "you have to be flexible." 

Sewell would probably start at guard, which is fine by me.  If he shows he's better, or if Williams goes down again things could be different.

1 minute ago, UncleEarl said:

I guess you hear what you want to hear.  I didn't hear "Jonah Williams is our LT."  Taylor also said "you have to be flexible." 

Sewell would probably start at guard, which is fine by me.  If he shows he's better, or if Williams goes down again things could be different.

Me or you? ;)

If Sewell is the pick and he starts at guard I agree it's still an upgrade over Michael Jordan, but hell so would Alex Leatherwood or Sam Cosmi be a upgrade over Michael Jordan.

7 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Me or you? ;)

If Sewell is the pick and he starts at guard I agree it's still an upgrade over Michael Jordan, but hell so would Alex Leatherwood or Sam Cosmi be a upgrade over Michael Jordan.

Probably both of us.

17 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

"Or if Williams goes down"...

I certainly want Jonah healthy for a full season but the question oh health has to be considered...

33 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Lapham has made his pick and he usually gets it right. He's gone with Sewell....but said he is 50/50 with them going Chase too. :lol:

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/gm-report/penei-sewell-jamarr-chase-dave-lapham-prediction-for-bengals-fifth-pick

By the end of the podcast he changed to Chase. 

The consensus seems to be Sewell is who they should take and Chase is who they will take.  Most see OT as the weakest position and Sewell can play in multiple spots as needed.  I could see him starting at RG and also be the swing tackle behind Williams and Reiff.  Reiff is only signed for a year so it’s not as if his signing fixed anything long term.  All that said, Chase is probably the pick and they will address OL on Day 2, which Tobin already hinted at.  Pitts is probably Atlanta’s pick if they don’t trade down.  It would be tough to pass on him especially to take Chase, but I can live with any of the three.  

Archived