The Official 2021 First Round Draft Thread !!!

The way I see it, the Bengals usually carry nine OL on the roster (possibly 10 if Hopkins isn't ready to answer the opening bel).

I'd say as of now, Hopkins, Spain, Su'a-Filo, Williams, Reiff and Adeniji are good bets to fill six spots.  I'm fine with Fred Johnson as the 4th tackle (seven) and if Hopkins is slow recovering, Price makes it eight.  Take an OT in the 2nd Rd an interior guy in the 3rd (Lance Dickerson? Creed Humphrey? Quinn Minnerz?  Trey Smith?) or 4th (Kendrick Green?) and I think you're still looking at a decent upgrade (especially with Pollock riding herd).

I also believe that there still will be another OL piece (outside of the draft) added before camp.  I'd still love to see them make a run at Trai Turner, but don't expect it.  There should be several other solid veteran players come on the market between the end of the draft and the first week of June.

Speaking of re-visiting Free Agents, I don't know if they will be able to address the EDGE in the Draft as strongly as I would have liked.  I would love to see them make another run at Ryan Kerrigan or Justin Houston in the next month.

Yeah, yeah, but we're talking Bengal here.  I get it, but just saying there will still be options to improve out there.

9 hours ago, fluhartz said:

trying to be funny or just a dipshit? 

I deleted it.

Was attempting funny but came out like a dipshit.

Not an excuse or even an explanation but watched on ABC.

After a long knobslobber about Pitts, a bunch of commercials

then the pick and imho shortchanged on the highlights.  A few meh

catches.  Then right back to a love in for girly locks Trevor and

the baby face BYU qb.

One thing I did note in the Trevor Lawrence love fest was they mentioned

he had only lost seven games in his entire football career.

They did not mention, of course, that one was The Big One to Athens Joe.

8 hours ago, soundstreamer said:

Hoping Teven Jenkins makes it to the Bengals but wouldn't be surprised to see the Ravens grab him.  He's the last of good OT's left I think.  Radunz and Eichenberg are decent and could possibly play this year if needed but not worth the 38th pick. After that I'm not seeing anyone that I would feel comfortable with if they had to start at tackle this year.

Let me make sure I understand this right, if we got Sewell, he was going to have to start at RG, but it we get a guy in the second, he's going to need to play Tackle??  Well, OK!!😂😂

1 minute ago, kennethmw said:

Let me make sure I understand this right, if we got Sewell, he was going to have to start at RG, but it we get a guy in the second, he's going to need to play Tackle??  Well, OK!!😂😂

Nobody we drafted was going to start at Tackle. I don't know what these guys are missing about that.

50 minutes ago, kennethmw said:

Hopefully whoever the Bengals draft is good enough to play guard or tackle.  Some of the scouting reports I have read are not confidence inducing.  Want no part of Cosmi.  Sounds like Oogie-Boogie II.  Plenty of measurables, but play just isn't that good. 

5 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

So this run on linemen that was supposed to happen at the end of the 1st.

5 Tackles were taken in the first round this year

So we will be getting the 6th to 9th-best OL prospect, depending.

Should be fine!

Although.. Will anyone be at all surprised if they don't go OL?  

1 minute ago, T-Dub said:

Should be fine!

the 6th to 9th best OL prospect in a deep class yes

Yes I will be surprised

5 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Should be fine!

Not totally surprised.  I remember last year thinking (hoping) the Round 2 pick would be OL, then Round 3, then Round 4, etc.  🤨

2 minutes ago, spicoli said:

I could see OL v DL being a coin flip at 38 to be honest. Lets not forget that the defense was just as bad as the OL was last year. Basham would represent good value where they're sitting IMO. 

I think we can fill a hole or two at either position with currently available FAs.  

Just now, spicoli said:

I could see OL v DL being a coin flip at 38 to be honest. Lets not forget that the defense was just as bad as the OL was last year. Basham would represent good value where they're sitting IMO. 

I'd be surprised honestly. They added Hendrickson and Ogunjobi to the DL. If they don't take OL I think the more likely position on D is linebacker.

32 minutes ago, spicoli said:

I could see OL v DL being a coin flip at 38 to be honest. Lets not forget that the defense was just as bad as the OL was last year. 

If the DL is bad we may lose games.  If the OL is bad we may lose our QB as well as games.

Basically my thinking is that the team is at least 1-2 seasons away from seriously competing & the goal is to keep Burrow in one piece in the meantime.  Until we are confident that goal will be achieved everything else is secondary.   

42 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Should be fine!

I would say a DL would have to be heads and tails above an OL on their board - no other position player should even be considered. 

I'm of the opinion that if they keep Burrow from getting hurt again this is a playoff team right now.

But that's mostly because they expended the playoff field.

I think we are likely a year away from being able to win a  playoff game.

5 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

I'm of the opinion that if they keep Burrow from getting hurt again this is a playoff team right now.

I'd say that puts us in 8-8 territory with an outside shot at a wild card, yeah.  

Like you I have no faith in Anarumo & expect poor defense will often undo any heroics from Burrow and friends.  

Beyond that I think all of ZT's big talk about changing the franchise culture falls flat on its face when you win 6 games in 2 years.  He hasn't changed jack diddly shit at that level.

12 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Basically my thinking is that the team is at least 1-2 seasons away from seriously competing & the goal is to keep Burrow in one piece in the meantime.  Until we are confident that goal will be achieved everything else is secondary.   

It’s ok for us to think that but the real question is…do they? 

2 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I'd say that puts us in 8-8 territory with an outside shot at a wild card, yeah.  

Like you I have no faith in Anarumo & expect poor defense will often undo any heroics from Burrow and friends.  

Beyond that I think all of ZT's big talk about changing the franchise culture falls flat on its face when you win 6 games in 2 years.  He hasn't changed jack diddly shit at that level.

As Pat Kirwan always says "EVERY coach says they want to change the culture, but few do"

Archived