The Official 2021 2nd & 3rd Round Draft Thread !!!

1 minute ago, spicoli said:

I didn’t know the draft was over? 

it's not - but -it certainly feels like we're trying to cover for a questionable second round pick.

We should be able to find some gold in round 2.

I'm starting to think our trade wasn't a good idea - even with an extra 4th rounder.

2 minutes ago, BengalBuck said:

Got to go through all the picks to find the TJ Houshmanzahdas of the draft.

Chris Henry, TJ Houshyourdaddy, Tim Krumrie, Corey Dillon, Reggie Williams, Ken Anderson, Ken "The Rattler" Riley, Boomer Esiason, Lemar Parrish, etc...  

The draft is never over this soon.  See the above for a reference.

Just now, Numbers said:

Chris Henry, TJ Houshyourdaddy, Tim Krumrie, Corey Dillon, Reggie Williams, Ken Anderson, Ken "The Rattler" Riley, Boomer Esiason, Lemar Parrish, etc...  

The draft is never over this soon.  See the above for a reference.

All true, but if you are looking for day one starters, well...doesn't look like any of those players were day 1 starters.

10 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Yeah, man....the players get better the later in the draft!

Of course, we get the project player in the 2nd then pick up a starting RG with those extra 4th round picks from NE. 

How silly of me!

13 minutes ago, HOF dan said:

it's not - but -it certainly feels like we're trying to cover for a questionable second round pick.

We should be able to find some gold in round 2.

I'm starting to think our trade wasn't a good idea - even with an extra 4th rounder.

2 extra 4th rounders….3 total picks in R4. 

Yeah teams never get help in the mid rounds 😆 Gimme a break..

Please.  No one is saying you can't find a good player later in the draft.  What I, and others, are saying is you are more likely to find immediate help in the earlier rounds.  For fuck's sake it's just common sense.  Hopefully this kid will be ready to play soon, because the injuries are coming if you consider past history.  Counting on finding early starters in the 3rd round and later is crazy.  I don't care how "deep" the draft is.  The second round guy should be better. 

Just now, UncleEarl said:

Yes, at some point.  The Bengals OL needs help now. 

You’ve made up your mind that he won’t start from day one when the reality is, he very easily could. 

Just now, spicoli said:

Well for fucks sake, why have you already made your mind up that he’s not? 

Do you even read my posts?  Sounds like he needs some work by scouting reports.  Would rather see a more finished product.  Your suggestion that one could/would be found later is silly.  It's less likely after every pick. 

You’ve made up your mind that he won’t start from day one when the reality is, he very easily could. 

Maybe.  Don't want maybe right now.  Wanted a more finished product over a local boy.  Hell, maybe the Bengals will draft the second coming of Anthony Munoz in the sixth round.  It's just a lot less likely than in the first round, second round, etc.  More risk for some positions that are already risky as hell. 

I look at it like this:

Rounds 1 and 2: immediate contributers/starters

Rounds 3 and 4: spot starters/developmental

Rounds 5 and below: projects,special teamers,maybe we get lucky

Someone said CBS had him rated in the 2nd, NFL.com had him as a 3rd rounder. I'm not down on him, just was expecting someone different.

3 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Wanted a more finished product over a local boy

They knew all along who they were picking. No reason not to trust Pollack on a certain prospect that I can see. 

Just now, gupps said:

I look at it like this:

Rounds 1 and 2: immediate contributers/starters

Rounds 3 and 4: spot starters/developmental

Rounds 5 and below: projects,special teamers,maybe we get lucky

Someone said CBS had him rated in the 2nd, NFL.com had him as a 3rd rounder. I'm not down on him, just was expecting someone different.

Yes.  I hope the kid is the real deal, but there are some red flags, IMO. 

The local connection is one.  Mikey loves local kids.  The weight issue is another.  College programs have way more control over players than the NFL.  They have them doing things all the time.  Kids even spend a lot of summer on campus taking classes and constantly working out.  NFL players have a lot of autonomy. 

I'm not down on him either I think he can play guard this year. I'm not sure about Right tackle for the long term though. I know we got 3 4th rounders though but I think I would have stood pat where we were and taken Jenkins, he could unquestionably play right tackle.

Archived