*** RD 2 BENGALS DRAFT - JACKSON CARMAN (G) ***

2 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

I mean...damn...I shouldn’t be surprised.  It was my first reaction and statement on this board when I heard where he went to high school.  Homer pick.  Mike Brown. He asked Paul Alexander, the guy that gave him Fisher and Oogie-Boogie.  My god, what a tool.  

I hope the kid lives up to Brown’s expectations. God knows Joe Burrow and the Bengals need him to.  Maybe one of the fourth rounders will play great and make the trade worthwhile. Just the same, It’s a terrible pick for the terrible reasons they made it. 

By the sounds of it they were going to pick Cartman regardless so the trade down was quite smart. 

To be fair Alexander also gave us Levi, Whitworth, Willie, Stienbach, Richie, Bobby, as well.

He's had some successes it's not like he was Jim Turner. He has had a pretty good Oline here once. 

**ducks trash about to be thrown on my lawn***

17 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

To be fair Alexander also gave us Levi, Whitworth, Willie, Stienbach, Richie, Bobby, as well.

He's had some successes it's not like he was Jim Turner. He has had a pretty good Oline here once. 

True. And to be fair Mike Brown...ummmm..never mind

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

So, 15-20 years ago he knew what he was doing.  OK.

Like many here the big thing that scares me is the injury.  Good lord why do we have to start from behind with young players when you can literally choose not to?

As for his talent/potential/profile outside of the injury?  I think it's promising and that's all good and well.  These articles paint a more damning picture of the "reasons why" though, I mean, if MB's first go-to was this kid, guess what that screams to me and likely most people here?  It means the "local boy comes home" narrative and what it means to ticket sales had a significant - if not *outsiized* - influence on this pick.  That sucks if true.

Finally, Alexander's take.  It doesn't matter that he's had success in the long past, the Ogbuehi + Fisher failures set this franchise back way more than any non-Bengal-fans probably realize, and that falls on him.  The whole "ketchup" thing and such just further damns him in my view.  Who knows what he asked the kid?  Did guys see him deny he worked with Alexander in his presser?  Maybe he just forgot (understandable), maybe he wishes he hadn't, but it sure sounds like it wasn't worth much.

Not for nothing, but Teven Jenkins also had a medical flag - lower back injury ended his season in mid-November. Not sure you can always get someone whose health history has no injuries when they are have been playing football at this level...

50 minutes ago, membengal said:

Not for nothing, but Teven Jenkins also had a medical flag - lower back injury ended his season in mid-November. Not sure you can always get someone whose health history has no injuries when they are have been playing football at this level...

I would rather see ACL surgery than back surgery.  ACL repair has a very high recovery rate.  Back surgery, not so much. 

1 hour ago, HavePityPlease said:

Finally, Alexander's take.  It doesn't matter that he's had success in the long past, the Ogbuehi + Fisher failures set this franchise back way more than any non-Bengal-fans probably realize, and that falls on him.  The whole "ketchup" thing and such just further damns him in my view.  Who knows what he asked the kid?  Did guys see him deny he worked with Alexander in his presser?  Maybe he just forgot (understandable), maybe he wishes he hadn't, but it sure sounds like it wasn't worth much.

Not to mention how Alexander was hired by the Cowboys as O-line coach and fired before November. 

There's also the whole bit about converting him to guard which requires different skills. I'd guess the long term plan is to play him at RG this year, then move him to RT. But he may be at RT sooner than that if Williams or Reiff get hurt. 

I think the plan all all along was to draft this kid as a starting OG and leave him there. Good chance he’s the starting right guard for at least the next 5 years as long as he stays healthy. 

49 minutes ago, spicoli said:

I think the plan all all along was to draft this kid as a starting OG and leave him there. Good chance he’s the starting right guard for at least the next 5 years as long as he stays healthy. 

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2021/05/03/bengals-start-jackson-carman-guard-willie-anderson/

The Cincinnati Bengals want a big immediate impact from second-round pick Jackson Carman.

So much so, they aren’t hiding the fact they want him to start at guard right away.

Director of college scouting Mike Potts just said as much in an interview with Geoff Hobson of Bengals.com:

“He’s an AFC North physical, powerful offensive lineman who is very athletic. The way this division is set up, this is a physical line of scrimmage division. He’s got a lot of things going for him. He’s a tackle with guard flexibility. He’s extremely intelligent. People say, ‘You’ve never seen him play guard.’ But with all the research we did on him, we know he’s smart enough to do it.”

52 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Agree...

Hes a powerful player and alot of OTs wind up at guard in the NFL..

Its not exactly a new experiment!

12 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

The idea of a discectomy is to remove the protruding (herniated) disc that is pressing on the nerve and causing pain.  So, no...there really isn't healing involved except for the healing from the surgical procedure.  A decompression is similar except you are removing bone that is pressing on a nerve causing pain.  The surgery either works, or it doesn't. 

Exactly,   You are not actually repairing the disk, you are removing the jelly that leaked out after the disc ruptured.  The Jellie is what pushes against the nerve and causes the pain and numbness.  It slowly goes away if the pain isn’t too bad. 

27 minutes ago, membengal said:

Nice, I suppose we had nowhere to go but up. Crossing my fingers that Pollack pays dividends as well, not just with blocking schemes and techniques, but also as our run game coordinator.

2 hours ago, membengal said:

I think I agree with PFF.  Part of it is addition by subtraction (Turner, Hart) and part is who will replace them (Pollack, Reiff).  Carman allows them the same position versatility that they would have had with Sewell as a college LT who can also play guard.  They also grabbed another tackle in the 4th.  Last year they didn’t take any OL before the 6th.  It’s hard to say these moves haven’t made them better or that the team hasn’t tried to get better.  

5 hours ago, membengal said:

Yes..

I was taken back by the amount of

Injuries/surgeries in the draft...

The Bengals arent alone in taking injured picks..

If a team feels hope for a recovery and the kid is a baller then you pull the trigger..

Hell they all get injured sooner or later anyway..

4 hours ago, spicoli said:

I mean.. is he healthy now?  Maybe I misunderstood but it sounded like he's recovering from back surgery.  If this were a 4th or 5th round pick I wouldn't mind so much but considering the high pick & all the other players they passed on to take him..  Plus they're already carrying a LT that can't seem to stay on the field, a center also coming back from IR, and of course the OL being awful even apart from the injuries..

Then SI runs this article interviewing Ketchup Whisperer about the guy with the actual OL coach only chiming in at the end and it feels like they're trolling.  They've got to be trolling... right?  I'm really trying not to be so down on the team and the upcoming season but fuckin A man, throw me a bone here...

14 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I mean.. is he healthy now?  Maybe I misunderstood but it sounded like he's recovering from back surgery.  If this were a 4th or 5th round pick I wouldn't mind so much but considering the high pick & all the other players they passed on to take him..  Plus they're already carrying a LT that can't seem to stay on the field, a center also coming back from IR, and of course the OL being awful even apart from the injuries..

Then SI runs this article interviewing Ketchup Whisperer about the guy with the actual OL coach only chiming in at the end and it feels like they're trolling.  They've got to be trolling... right?  I'm really trying not to be so down on the team and the upcoming season but fuckin A man, throw me a bone here...

There was zero chance you would like this pick once they passed on Sewell.  No outcome other than taking Sewell would have satisfied you.  I don’t see anyone else getting triggered by the article with Alexander and I’ve read nothing that indicated Carman‘s surgery is a long-term concern.  That doesn’t sound like someone trying to not be so down on the team.  Pretty much the opposite actually.

Archived