*** RD 3 BENGALS DRAFT - JOSEPH OSSAI (DE) ***

1 minute ago, ValleyBengal said:

Reminds me of Carl Lawson. I bet someone in the draft room said that too...

He seems longer than Lawson imo. 

Nfl.com says he compares to 

Takkarist McKinley

He was the only defensive player I listed in the Day 2 thread yesterday. I only saw him play one game last year, but it was the OT thriller with OK State that went to like 4 OTs ... and he made the game winning tackle by flying on a blitz. And I remember thinking at the time, this guy is a gamer and brings the kind of energy that the Bengals need.

An A+ pick. 

Joseph Ossai ER/LB Texas

by Drew Boylhart • February 25, 2021

STRENGTHS
Joseph has the size, long arms, and work ethic to become more of an impact player at the next level than he was at the college level. He shows on film, solid agility skills and the stoutness against the run when playing on the edge, that most in this draft do not have. He does a good job rushing the passer and when playing off the ball shows an excellent burst to the play (when he commits) to make tackles behind the line of scrimmage. He has a good burst off the ball and the balance and hand strength to defeat his opponent once he identifies the play. Joseph has enormous, untapped talent and the more repetitions he gets the better he will become. I believe his impact position for the next level will be as a 4/3 defensive end. Playing one position and learning that one position will unleash this kids’ athletic talent to impact on any play, run or pass, in the future.

CONCERNS
Joseph needs to play one position and learn that position. If it’s as a linebacker off the ball or an edge rusher in a 3/4 defense or like I suggest a Defensive End in a 4/3 defense, until he learns just one position he will not have the impact, his talent suggest he should have.

BOTTOM LINE 2.06
Joseph is one of those players who could easily be selected in the 1st round or easily drop until the 3rd or 4th rounds, it just depends on what position he plays for the teams that are evaluated him. I just see so much untapped talent in his film, especially when he is used, attacking the line of scrimmage as a defensive lineman. As an off the line linebacker, I see a lot of guessing and because he has the athletic talent to recover quickly, he does a good job but, that guessing at the next level will be a struggle for him to overcome. As a linebacker off the ball, his LTI, (length till impact) will be out there someplace. As a defensive end, give him a year to build up his lower body, and this kid will be in the double digits for sacks and tackles behind the line quickly. He has those strong hands and long arms that will allow him to be more consistent, setting the edge of the defense. When he tackles running backs, he wraps them up with those long arms, like a Python wrapping around its prey. You can check all the boxes on this kid and you will see, all he needs is time and repetitions to get better.

He is good at causing forced fumbles and plays with a burst that usually the Bengals don't have, but the Ravens and Squeelers covet. Reminds me of the kind of guy Ozzie Newsome would draft and turn into a pro bowler. 

• BlackJesus changed the title to *** RD 3 BENGALS DRAFT - JOSEPH OSSAI (LB/DE) ***
26 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Everyone seems to think so but the Bengals, as is tradition.

There's more picks to be made, thankfully.  Sure they could have went oline but this is a great value pick, especially for what the Bengals need on defense.  

Who would you have drafted @ 68

I watched the media interview call with this kid, I think he's exactly what this defense needs.  Super high motor, wants the ball, athletic gifts, but the best was just the kid's personality - smart, fun-loving, all about family.  If you didn't get to see it, have some fun and watch it on the replay, he seems like a good dude.

2 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

There's more picks to be made, thankfully.  Sure they could have went oline but this is a great value pick, especially for what the Bengals need on defense.  

Who would you have drafted @ 68

Yeah I'm sure a 4th round pick is going to step right in if Jonah goes to IR for the 3rd year in a row.  Of course I don't want that to happen but at this point it's something to seriously consider and be prepared for..  And they refuse to consider it.  As usual, they have this idealized notion and no reality check no matter how harsh can sway them.  

The only question is; do they genuinely not know, or do they not care?

Anyway, hook 'em horns

Archived