*** RD 4 BENGALS DRAFT - CAMERON SAMPLE (DE) ***

Sample garnered first team All-American Athletic Conference accolades in 2020, teaming with Patrick Johnson as one of the best duos on the edge in the country (52 tackles, 8.5 for loss, with five sacks, three pass breakups in 11 starts). He started all 13 games for the Green Wave in 2019, recording 44 tackles, 5.5 for loss, with 1.5 sacks, and four pass breakups. He started 11 games in 2018 (40 stops, six for loss, with four sacks), missing time with an ankle injury. The Georgia product started three times as a true freshman in 2017 (26 tackles, two for loss in 11 appearances). He accepted an invitation to the Senior Bowl. -- by Chad Reuter

Overview

Sample is a short-stepper with hip tightness and wasn't able to convert enough pressures into sacks while playing outside. However, his skilled rush attacks and short-area footwork could give him advantages on the interior, where he can take more of a straight-line approach to the quarterback. He has quick hands and good upper-body strength, but it's not a lock he'll get used to battling NFL wide-bodies inside, despite his physical nature and toughness. Sample should become a solid, scheme-diverse defender with the ability to play strong-side end on early downs and reduce inside as a rusher. There could be teams who see him as a smaller three-technique if he can carry the weight.

Strengths
  • Potential to play a variety of spots in both odd and even fronts.
  • Carries naturally thick frame with good play strength.
  • Plus length with big hands.
  • Heavy-handed strikes lift and jostle opponents.
  • Good anticipation of and reaction to play direction.
  • Efficient and fluid as a pass rusher.
  • Basketball feet create separation and open edges as a rusher.
  • Varies his rush plans and has impressive repertoire of go-to moves.
  • Stick-and-move mentality with his hands.
  • Consistent effort and production over the last three years.
  • Can physically batter weaker opponents.

Senior Bowl Performance

Few prospects helped their stock at the Senior Bowl more than Tulane defensive tackle Cameron Sample. He measured in a bit lighter than expected, but he was solid all week, and he dominated in one-on-one drills during Thursday’s practice. He displayed the ability to win with a mix of power, explosiveness, leverage, hand usage, and deception, and also flashed good ankle flexion when creasing the edge. In the game, Sample won Defensive MVP, logging a game-high seven total tackles, a half-sack, and 0.5 tackles for loss.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/cameron-sample-nfl-draft-player-profile-tulane-defensive-tackle/

I really thought that Sr Bowl performance would push him into the second round. This kid could turn out to be a steal at 111. Love the potential of him rushing from the interior. 

10 minutes ago, Jason said:

Finally took Sample in 4. Lol

Jokes aside there haven't been any real head-scratchers so far IMO, which is nice.  Of course I think they should be doing more to address the OL but I guess we don't talk about that.  The guys they're drafting seem to be going around where they've been slotted at least.

Cameron Sample ER/DL Tulane

by Drew Boylhart • March 26, 2021

STRENGTHS
Camron is a natural Defensive End for a team that runs a base 4/3 defense. He has excellent size and good length and because of the way his college team has used him, on the inside and on the outside, has made Cameron a very smart player. He has good balance and natural strength to go along with excellent pass-rushing techniques. Cameron has strong hands and can control his opponent when playing in a 2-gap system and stopping the run. He is a complete defensive lineman who can rush the passer and stop the run from multiple positions on your defensive front if you need him to but, his impact position should be as a DE in a 4/3. That position will be the position, he can impact against on both running and passing downs.

CONCERNS
Right now, because he has played for Tulane the “experts” are just looking for negatives in his game instead of the positives and this attitude will affect his draft status. Also, because Cameron is a complete football player and doesn’t have the pass rushing numbers, those same “experts” do not recognize his overall potential.

BOTTOM LINE 1.73
Cameron is smaller than Carlos Dunlap but his overall style, of how he plays the game reminds me a lot of Carlos. Like Carlos when he came out, most people did not recognize his talents to dominate and they are doing the same with Cameron. Because Cameron was playing out of position and with good weight, but not the correct weight, people downgrade him. They think that’s a negative but for me, all of that are positives and is what makes Cameron more well-rounded with the potential to dominate at the next level at his true impact position. A slimmed-down version of the Cameron, who has started for the last three years for his college team, showed up at the Senior Bowl. He showed his quickness and strength in the game and in all of the practices and dominated. Oh, and by the way, he proved my point that he is a natural (with the potential to dominate) Defensive End in a 4/3 front. All you have to do is watch that game.

1:57 of the vid in the post above, I hope that 51 (LG) on the O line got drafted by the Squealers. Hilariously low effort in that play and the following one. Blocked nobody. Quality stuff.
(I love the pick, but man watching the burger flippers is always comedy gold)

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, JungleJohn said:

It seems to me that the addition of Ossai and Sample is going to be of great benefit beginning this season.

They're both well-regarded players who should help, but you never know how a college player will adapt to the NFL.

Archived