*** RD 4 BENGALS DRAFT - TYLER SHELVIN (NT) ***

Heard a cool Bill Belichick story while working on this. While scouting the 2020 Draft for #LSU players like K'Lavon Chaisson, Patrick Queen and Jacob Phillips, Bill Belichick stopped the film and asked about Shelvin. "I want No. 72. You make sure No. 72 is on our team.”
Quote Tweet

UaqLKQLA_normal.jpg

Brody Miller

@BrodyAMiller
· May 1
#LSU's Tyler Shelvin is off the board to the Cincinnati Bengals. Well, here's a deep dive on the first round talent, the opt out that hurt his stock and the family around him he proved wrong as he gr

8 hours ago, High School Harry said:
Heard a cool Bill Belichick story while working on this. While scouting the 2020 Draft for #LSU players like K'Lavon Chaisson, Patrick Queen and Jacob Phillips, Bill Belichick stopped the film and asked about Shelvin. "I want No. 72. You make sure No. 72 is on our team.”
Quote Tweet

UaqLKQLA_normal.jpg

Brody Miller

@BrodyAMiller
· May 1
#LSU's Tyler Shelvin is off the board to the Cincinnati Bengals. Well, here's a deep dive on the first round talent, the opt out that hurt his stock and the family around him he proved wrong as he gr

If Belichick is on board with this guy, so am I

6 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

They didnt have alot of power on the dline last year with Reader injured and Tupua opting out..

The line looks like a strong force now..

Good to have some decent depth as well...

Im ok with that, he looks to be strong on the run so he'll be good in rotation.

6 hours ago, Griever said:

If Belichick is on board with this guy, so am I

I think Bill saw the Vince Wilfork in him too. 

I think as time goes by, both Shelvin and D'Ante will be solid starters, so the team will be fine whether Carman works out or not (since all 3 represent the 2nd round's choice collectively). 

21 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

Shelvin & Reader next to each other on 3rd and 1 will be a nice combo. 

22 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

Shelvin & Reader next to each other on 3rd and 1 will be a nice combo. 

Anything 2nd or 3rd and short opposing offenses might switch to pass mode with these two in the interior..

Best we have coverage backers and CBs on high alert..

Nice to have a solid backfield now..

1 hour ago, claptonrocks said:

They have some huge DTs now against short yardage/goaline stands..

Tupoa is in the mix as well..

If room can be made and he plays well I'd rather keep him since our line seems to be a magnet for the injury bug.

I would imagine there's a big difference in RAS scores for a DT that is only 295-305 lbs. vs. one that is 350 lbs.  It might be interesting to see how he stacks up against other 350+ lb. dudes instead of just all DTs.

That said, I don't expect this dude to be running 40 yards and actually catch a skill player unless the opposing team is using a 1 legged running back or something.

Yeah, RAS when it comes to guys Shelvin's size is perhaps of somewhat limited utility.  If you look at his games, he is quick off the ball, shockingly light on his feet, and damn near impossible to move even when two large humans are trying to move him.

I keep going back the end of Cleveland game 1 when we had no prayer of stopping their running games on the last drive and they simply handed the ball off five times and went 70+ yards for the clinching TD and knowing that Shelvin will have a very important role here early on this defense in tandem with Reader.  

Archived