*** RD 5 BENGALS DRAFT - EVAN McPHERSON (K) ***

9 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

Had an 84 yard punt in HS ... they could gain an extra roster spot by having him do both duties. 

Thats big...and you know he had a bounce that got it there.

Id did notice his touchback % dropped significantly... 

He's not fat enough. I like my kickers fat and prone to choking in pressure situations.

Seriously, though, I don't understand the lack of respect that kickers get in the draft (not from this board, but in general). This is a position that can almost single-handedly (or single "footedly") win or lose games. I don't know as much football as some of you, but it seems that it's downplayed too much. It's similar with managers in baseball. A team won't pay a manager who has a history of fielding winning teams because the salary is too high, but they'll pay the same amount or more for a utility infielder. I just don't get it.

5 hours ago, Bleeds Orange said:

He's not fat enough. I like my kickers fat and prone to choking in pressure situations.

Seriously, though, I don't understand the lack of respect that kickers get in the draft (not from this board, but in general). This is a position that can almost single-handedly (or single "footedly") win or lose games. I don't know as much football as some of you, but it seems that it's downplayed too much. It's similar with managers in baseball. A team won't pay a manager who has a history of fielding winning teams because the salary is too high, but they'll pay the same amount or more for a utility infielder. I just don't get it.

Well then you will REALLY like the Stealers new punter......

Steelers use final pick of NFL Draft to take punter Pressley Harvin III |  TribLIVE.com

This kid really throws himself into the kick (Watch the videos, one of them really points this out).  I have real concerns about him slipping, especially in rain/snow and/or crappy playing surfaces like Heinz Field.  😟

🦗

19 hours ago, Cricket said:

This kid really throws himself into the kick (Watch the videos, one of them really points this out).  I have real concerns about him slipping, especially in rain/snow and/or crappy playing surfaces like Heinz Field.  😟

🦗

i did notice his leap is a bit exaggerated...... how many teams play on real grass and have potential for bad weather often?

* i looked *  ..... looks like about half, which is surprising...

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/sports/nfl-players-association-calls-on-teams-to-switch-all-playing-surfaces-to-natural-grass#:~:text="Agronomically%2C natural grass field surfaces,NFL stadiums use traditional grass.

i find this surprising. especially since real grass fields turn to stone in below freezing weather, the slips in mud, etc.. 

not sure what to think really.

• 2 weeks later...

Some perspective......

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2021/5/19/22430021/bengals-2021-draft-picks-rookie-seasons

That much was easy (picking Chase as top impact rookie). Ranking the rest of the draft class in terms of who might be expected to contribute the most in the upcoming season will be a little more difficult. But here goes.

This next name might come as something of a surprise, but expect kicker Evan McPherson, Cincinnati’s fifth round selection out of Florida, to have a huge impact in 2021. Last year, the Bengals lost five games by five points or less, and tied another one. 

Since 2018, missed kicks by Cincinnati kickers have cost the Bengals 46 points (14 missed field goals and four missed extra points). Seven of those games were one score losses.

At Florida, McPherson set an SEC record for career field goal percentage by making 51 of 60 attempts, and made 149 of 150 extra point tries. He also made five of his eight career field goal attempts from 50 yards or more. Leg strength is definitely not a problem, as McPherson has purportedly hit from between 65 and 68 yards in practice.

1 hour ago, High School Harry said:

Some perspective......

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2021/5/19/22430021/bengals-2021-draft-picks-rookie-seasons

That much was easy (picking Chase as top impact rookie). Ranking the rest of the draft class in terms of who might be expected to contribute the most in the upcoming season will be a little more difficult. But here goes.

This next name might come as something of a surprise, but expect kicker Evan McPherson, Cincinnati’s fifth round selection out of Florida, to have a huge impact in 2021. Last year, the Bengals lost five games by five points or less, and tied another one. 

Since 2018, missed kicks by Cincinnati kickers have cost the Bengals 46 points (14 missed field goals and four missed extra points). Seven of those games were one score losses.

At Florida, McPherson set an SEC record for career field goal percentage by making 51 of 60 attempts, and made 149 of 150 extra point tries. He also made five of his eight career field goal attempts from 50 yards or more. Leg strength is definitely not a problem, as McPherson has purportedly hit from between 65 and 68 yards in practice.

If you are going to draft a kicker he had better be a stud.  Hope that continues, but playing in the SEC is a lot different than the AFC North in November and December.  Tough conditions.

• 8 months later...
On 5/19/2021 at 8:55 AM, UncleEarl said:

If you are going to draft a kicker he had better be a stud.  Hope that continues, but playing in the SEC is a lot different than the AFC North in November and December.  Tough conditions.

nothing to worry about as it turned out

On 5/1/2021 at 2:29 PM, Hooky said:

Kiper loves the pick. He was adamantly arguing with McShay, who thought that Borregales should've been first off the board.

So, now I’m curious…where did Borregales end up and how well did he do?

Archived