Trey Hill

TREY HILL

Prospect Info
Georgia
Houston, GA

6' 3 1/2"
319 lbs
ARMS - 33 5/8"

Deontrey "Trey" Hill was a top-150 overall recruit when he signed with the Bulldogs, like his high school teammate, former Georgia QB quarterback Jake Fromm. Hill started all 14 games at center as a sophomore, following up a true freshman year where he played in all 14 contests with starts in the final four at right guard. He was dominant in the pivot through the first eight games of the 2020 season but was playing through significant pain. It was decided he would shut it down for the year to undergo surgeries on both knees to repair torn menisci. Hill's brother, Derrick, played football at Valdosta State when Georgia head coach Kirby Smart was an assistant there. -- by Chad Reuter
Overview
Girthy center prospect offering potential roster flexibility as a guard as well. His size works in his favor, but it's more as a mauler than a technician. He can slow opponents at the point of attack, but lacks the bend and hand placement to consistently sustain blocks for more than a short period of time. He's not a plus athlete, but he moves better than expected for his size. He can offer some value when asked to pull and clobber would-be tacklers. Hill's size and ability to play multiple spots give him a head start on winning a roster spot, but poor knee-bend and shoddy hand placement will be challenging to correct.
Strengths
  • Has experience at center and guard.
  • Uses mass and girth to his advantage at point of attack.
  • Adequate snap-to-step quickness as lateral blocker.
  • Powerful flipper able to stuff and tee up block for his guard on combos.
  • Generally under control working up to Mike linebackers.
  • Adequate athleticism for a big man getting into space.
  • Sees rush games and makes proper adjustments.
  • Gains depth and changes levels to protect against twists.

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

Made me wonder about Hopkins again, but I found this:

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2021/2/26/22303895/trey-hopkins-injury-bengals-training-camp-2021

So this guy probably won't be pressed into starting right away (unless he earns the spot, which would naturally be ideal)

Good news. I dont hate Hopkins like some do around here imo he was the 2nd best young linemen after Williams last year. I'm actually relieved somewhat we found him because Billy Price has been a bust.

9 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Good news. I dont hate Hopkins like some do around here imo he was the 2nd best young linemen after Williams last year. I'm actually relieved somewhat we found him because Billy Price has been a bust.

Price is a weird case, he seemed like he was coming along fine at first and then went over a cliff.  IDK if that's Ketchup Whisperer, being benched, injuries,  Turner being an inept asshole or a combination of all those (more likely) but I really think the blame there is on the team as much as Price.  The potential sure looked like it was there at the beginning.

As to Hopkins, he's looked at least average at times so I find it hard to tell.  When 2 or more members of the OL are terribad it makes the whole unit look like shit.  We just need 6-7 guys that aren't a complete liability if we have to play them.  This was never going to be a great OL this year given where they're starting from but yeah, I wish they'd done a little more to move the needle at least.

At this point I think we're going to have to hope Pollack can duct tape something together that will hold up ok for a season & at least make it clear where the holes are.. hard to do that underwater, so to speak.

7 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Price is a weird case, he seemed like he was coming along fine at first and then went over a cliff.  IDK if that's Ketchup Whisperer, being benched, injuries,  Turner being an inept asshole or a combination of all those (more likely) but I really think the blame there is on the team as much as Price.  The potential sure looked like it was there at the beginning.

As to Hopkins, he's looked at least average at times so I find it hard to tell.  When 2 or more members of the OL are terribad it makes the whole unit look like shit.  We just need 6-7 guys that aren't a complete liability if we have to play them.  This was never going to be a great OL this year given where they're starting from but yeah, I wish they'd done a little more to move the needle at least.

At this point I think we're going to have to hope Pollack can duct tape something together that will hold up ok for a season & at least make it clear where the holes are.. hard to do that underwater, so to speak.

Yeah until Spain came in and played like he did Hopkins was surrounded by shit, so I agree it's a bit hard to judge. But he at least played well enough to bench Price. You saw something in Price I can't say I ever saw. I thought maybe he played better at guard when he was playing last year but over all he's been a pretty big disappointment for me.

As far as the Oline being great this year, I agree there wasn't anyone they were going to add to make it great in one year, right now it needs to be better and keep Joe from having to sit the bench or get hit as much as he did last year. Perhaps in a year if Carman pays off and can play RT or if not and he has to stay are guard and we go draft a true RT then we can start talking about a great line, for now I will be happy with a line that keeps Joe from getting hurt and drops his sack and pressure rate a good amount. That's all I am asking for this year.

14 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Yeah until Spain came in and played like he did Hopkins was surrounded by shit, so I agree it's a bit hard to judge. But he at least played well enough to bench Price. You saw something in Price I can't say I ever saw. I thought maybe he played better at guard when he was playing last year but over all he's been a pretty big disappointment for me.

As far as the Oline being great this year, I agree there wasn't anyone they were going to add to make it great in one year, right now it needs to be better and keep Joe from having to sit the bench or get hit as much as he did last year. Perhaps in a year if Carman pays off and can play RT or if not and he has to stay are guard and we go draft a true RT then we can start talking about a great line, for now I will be happy with a line that keeps Joe from getting hurt and drops his sack and pressure rate a good amount. That's all I am asking for this year.

Don't sleep on Smith, our 4th round pick, in a year from now. Once he gets in a NFL training program and gets coached up he could be an option to play RT.

2 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

Don't sleep on Smith, our 4th round pick, in a year from now. Once he gets in a NFL training program and gets coached up he could be an option to play RT.

Watching some of his Sr Bowl tape I like what I see, he finishes his blocks with attitude.  

1 minute ago, Jamie_B said:

Watching some of his Sr Bowl tape I like what I see, he finishes his blocks with attitude.  

He needs to get stronger and refine his technique to compete at a high level.  You can't deny the raw talent and physical tools he possess, it's intriguing for sure.

2 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Draft grades the day after the draft all get an F. What a useless exercise

I guess they got good value at the picks, based on a bunch of mock drafts, for whatever that's worth.

Beyond that, yeah.  Who knows which of these guys can actually play at this level? Ask again in December, & even then some of these guys are pretty raw.  Not sure why it took 2 years for the FO to embrace the kind of long term rebuilding strategy that implies, but here we are..  better late than never, I suppose.

Kiper said that he thought at one time Hill could sneak into the 1st Rd. 

He's built perfectly for a center, with an abnormally wide 'base' (very wide ass and hips), which make it hard to push him backwards, even with leverage.

I am not sold on Hopkins in the long term, and hope he gets a look.

May be an image of 1 person, playing football, grass and text that says 'ALIKA JE'

10 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Draft grades the day after the draft all get an F. What a useless exercise

I don't think our grades are meaningful. But they can promote debate and fun. We are just fans in the end and this stuff is just what fans do. Nothing bad about it as long as we don't take it seriously IMO.   

10 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

Kiper said that he thought at one time Hill could sneak into the 1st Rd. 

He's built perfectly for a center, with an abnormally wide 'base' (very wide ass and hips), which make it hard to push him backwards, even with leverage.

I am not sold on Hopkins in the long term, and hope he gets a look.

May be an image of 1 person, playing football, grass and text that says 'ALIKA JE'

Kiper liked him??!! Oh crap. He is likely a bust. I would feel better if Kiper hated him. 

3 minutes ago, JungleJohn said:

Kiper liked him??!! Oh crap. He is likely a bust. I would feel better if Kiper hated him. 

Kiper defended the Bengals kicker pick as well. Compared him to Jason Elam and said he had a smooth golfer stroke. 

Kiper is socially awkward and sort of a blowhard, but he also devotes his entire year as a full time job to scouting hundreds of players a year. So it's not a completely irrelevant opinion. 

Just now, BlackJesus said:

Kiper defended our kicker pick as well. Compared him to Jason Elam and said he had a smooth golfer stroke. 

Kiper is socially awkward and sort of a blowhard, but he also devotes his entire year as a full time job to scouting hundreds of players a year. So it's not a completely irrelevant opinion. 

We will have to agree to disagree, I believe he is a total fraud who has devoted his life to self promotion. I do however give him credit for filling an empty suit and lobbying it into a career. I don't think he has ever even put on a jock. There are a couple of YouTube videos about him. Watch them as they detail his career and make up your mind if they have credibility. If you don't know how he got where he is it may be enlightening. But if you disagree I respect that. 

On 5/1/2021 at 6:42 PM, Jamie_B said:

About 30% of Joe's sacks were coverage. The number of excellent targets increased by 50% with the addition of Chase. Open targets can also protect Joe.

1 minute ago, JungleJohn said:

About 30% of Joe's sacks were coverage. The number of excellent targets increased by 50% with the addition of Chase. Open targets can also protect Joe.

That still leaves 70%

Archived