Chris Evans

CHRIS EVANS

Prospect Info
Michigan

HOMETOWN
Indianapolis, IN

5' 11"
211 lbs

Evans was suspended for the 2019 season due to an academic issue, but stayed in Ann Arbor to take online courses, stay in shape and work. He was reinstated in 2020, though his usage in six games was limited (16 carries, 73 yards, 4.6 yards per carry, one touchdown; nine receptions, 87 yards, 9.7 average, one start). He accepted an invitation to the Senior Bowl. His 2018 season was less than ideal, as he started just twice in 10 games (81 carries, 423 yards, 5.2 yards per carry, four touchdowns; 18 receptions, 148 yards, 8.2 average, one touchdown) while missing time with a leg strain. Evans was considered one of the top 15 running back recruits in the country out of Indianapolis' Ben Davis High School and made an immediate impact with the Wolverines by playing in all 13 games in 2016 (88 carries, 614 yards, 7.0 yards per carry, four touchdowns; six receptions, 87 yards, 14.5 average, one start). He garnered honorable mention All-Big Ten honors in 2017, rushing for 685 yards and six scores on 135 carries (5.1 per) and grabbing 16 passes for 157 yards (9.8 per) and a score. -- by Chad Reuter

Overview
Running back with good size and adequate athletic traits but lacking dynamic or explosive qualities to help him stand out. Evans served a suspension in 2019 and had very few totes in 2020. From 2016 to 2018, he ran to his size and was productive relative to what was asked of him. His pad level and contact balance will create yards after contact and he'll get what is blocked. However, his greatest selling point will be his size and ability to play on third down. Those two things could help rehabilitate his draft stock, but there will be an abundance of competition for the job he will be looking for. It could just be a matter of finding the right place at the right time.
Strengths
  • Possesses NFL size with adequate top-end speed.
  • Mental toughness to overcome adversity and make it back on team.
  • Excellent knee bend and pad level through the hole.
  • Vision to recognize bounce-wide opportunities.
  • Has lateral-cut quickness and burst to get to the edge.
  • Weaponizes stiff-arm to extend his run.
  • Lowers and squares pads to fall forward through contact.
  • Squares blitzers and sticks a heavy lead shoulder into chip blocks.
  • Pass-catching comes easily for him.
  • Hands are soft and natural, plucking throws on the move.

Just now, T-Dub said:

So is this the return guy they were talking about?  Is the RB room looking a lil crowded now?

Doubt it.  They probably think they need 4 guys, and that Jacques Patrick probably isn't someone they project as having much flexibility.   I see this guy apparently is a respected pass catcher, so at least from where I'm sitting that differentiates him from most or all of our backups.

14 minutes ago, HavePityPlease said:

Doubt it.  They probably think they need 4 guys, and that Jacques Patrick probably isn't someone they project as having much flexibility.   I see this guy apparently is a respected pass catcher, so at least from where I'm sitting that differentiates him from most or all of our backups.

I see, that plus:

Makes me think he's intended as  more of a Gio replacement.

Just now, T-Dub said:

I see, that plus:

Makes me think he's intended as  more of a Gio replacement.

Quite possible, and if he's less of a partial "play giveaway" that putting in Gio was, great.

7 minutes ago, HavePityPlease said:

Quite possible, and if he's less of a partial "play giveaway" that putting in Gio was, great.

If they can also throw away the shotgun draw play on 3rd & short that'd be cool

2 hours ago, HavePityPlease said:

Did you ever read a report on Trayveon Williams before the draft? Hes an excellent pass catcher and blocker in the backfield..

I dont see Evans taking his place as the third back..

Maybe they like him as a slot to backup Boyd...

10 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Did you ever read a report on Trayveon Williams before the draft? Hes an excellent pass catcher and blocker in the backfield..

I dont see Evans taking his place as the third back..

Maybe they like him as a slot to backup Boyd...

Well, we're not talking about reports we're speculating what the Bengals coaches might be thinking.  And if you notice I said "4 guys" and excluded Patrick, which implies Williams is part of the four so... ?

11 minutes ago, HavePityPlease said:

Well, we're not talking about reports we're speculating what the Bengals coaches might be thinking.  And if you notice I said "4 guys" and excluded Patrick, which implies Williams is part of the four so... ?

Gotcha..

Ive been impressed with Williams since he was in the SEC..

Hes a hard nosed baller and has alot of 

the same abilities as Gio did..

He looked good in limited time last year

If this Evans kid can best him out so much the better for our backfield..

Evans is a good ST so...

Archived