*** RD 6 BENGALS DRAFT - CHRIS EVANS (RB) ***

On 5/1/2021 at 7:28 PM, claptonrocks said:

Did you ever read a report on Trayveon Williams before the draft? Hes an excellent pass catcher and blocker in the backfield..

I dont see Evans taking his place as the third back..

Maybe they like him as a slot to backup Boyd...

Seeing that a waiver wire claim has passed Williams on the depth chart I don't think his spot is all that solid.

43 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

What depth chart are you talking about?

Id like to see it....

Google Bengals depth chart and pick the one you want.  They all show Perine ahead of Williams. 

Here's an article talking about Perine and how he should expect more work quoting Duke Tobin pre draft. 

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2021/04/24/cincinnati-bengals-bigger-role-samaje-perine-2021/

“I think we feel good about the guys we have in the barn. I think Samaje’s role is going to grow and I think he earned that last year,” Tobin said, according to Geoff Hobson of Bengals.com. “I think we’ve got some belief in Trayveon as well. Whether there will be an addition beyond that, we’ll see as we go.”

Pretty clear that Perine is ahead of Williams at this point.  "Some belief in Williams" is damning with faint praise if I've ever seen it.

1 hour ago, UncleEarl said:

Google Bengals depth chart and pick the one you want.  They all show Perine ahead of Williams. 

Here's an article talking about Perine and how he should expect more work quoting Duke Tobin pre draft. 

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2021/04/24/cincinnati-bengals-bigger-role-samaje-perine-2021/

“I think we feel good about the guys we have in the barn. I think Samaje’s role is going to grow and I think he earned that last year,” Tobin said, according to Geoff Hobson of Bengals.com. “I think we’ve got some belief in Trayveon as well. Whether there will be an addition beyond that, we’ll see as we go.”

Pretty clear that Perine is ahead of Williams at this point.  "Some belief in Williams" is damning with faint praise if I've ever seen it.

1 hour ago, UncleEarl said:

I thought we were talking about Evans since ita an Evans thread..

I agree Samaji is the 2 back .

Treyveon is 3rd...

1 hour ago, claptonrocks said:

I thought we were talking about Evans since ita an Evans thread..

I agree Samaji is the 2 back .

Treyveon is 3rd...

I thought your point is Evans isn't passing Williams.  My point is that a waiver wire pickup already passed him and Duke Tobin didn't exactly heap on the praise for Williams.  Evans has an excellent chance to pass Williams.

3 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

I thought your point is Evans isn't passing Williams.  My point is that a waiver wire pickup already passed him and Duke Tobin didn't exactly heap on the praise for Williams.  Evans has an excellent chance to pass Williams.

Ok we ll see...

57 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

You do know Perine was a 4th round pick right..

He had a chance with the WFT but only averaged 3.5 on 150 carries ..so...

Now hes in Cincy as a power back ..

I like the kid..

1 hour ago, claptonrocks said:

You do know Perine was a 4th round pick right..

He had a chance with the WFT but only averaged 3.5 on 150 carries ..so...

Now hes in Cincy as a power back ..

I like the kid..

Me too.  He’s a load at 230.  Still, cut by WFT, Bengals practice squad, claimed and cut by Miami.  Not a stellar resume. 

• 2 weeks later...

From Morrison's post-rookie mini-camp wrap-up:

Handy man

Evans impressed the Bengals coaches at the Senior Bowl with his hands and route running out of the backfield, and that was on vivid display Friday at PBS.

“Chris’ trait that is different than a lot of other running backs in the league is his ability to catch the ball, and he’s a very natural route runner out of the backfield,” Taylor said. “He can split out. That’s one of the things that really jumped out to us at the Senior Bowl, just how dominant he was in those one-on-ones. How natural and easy it looked for him. Today you probably saw us moving him around a little bit to get a better feel for him in person. He did a nice job. He seems like he’s smart. He understands it. He can retain information. It makes sense to him and then he went out there and made some nice catches.”

Evans looked smooth and sure-handed throughout the practice despite being moved all over the place.

“In high school, when I was a freshman playing quarterback and then converted to a slot (receiver), playing slot pretty much my whole career until my senior year, the coaching that I got in high school about coaching the ball with your hands,” he said. “The only time that they wanted to catch the ball with our body is if it’s at our body or if it’s in the rain or something to secure it. That was one big key thing I learned when I was young. Catch with your eyes first and then catch with your hands.”

When the Bengals drafted Evans, he mentioned they had a move at Michigan they called the Mixon, named after Bengals running back Joe Mixon. Asked about it again Friday after practice, Evans was trying again to describe it before he asked if it was OK he stood up at the podium. In the first standing demonstration in Bengals Zoom history, Evans played show and tell.

23 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Evans is smooth as silk man. Him and Pooka going head to head for a spot on the roster is going to be one fun camp battle to watch, IMO. 

Just watched some of the rookie camp videos and Evans really stood out to me.  Dude is QUICK!...and seems to have really good hands catching the ball.  Hard to really tell anything when just watching drills, but on the surface it was impressive.

• 2 weeks later...

This kid's got a lot of upside.  He missed  a lot of games but the biggest physical reason was a leg strain.  Academic issues were the main culprit. It sounds like he comes to camp without any physical or character issues for the Bengals to worry about.  Great highlight reel.  Most of the first half of it is just him hitting big lanes with real good speed, but a lot of the latter half of the reel is him finding much smaller seams, or even seemingly creating seams with good vision and lateral movement.  Add in pass catching and blocking skill.  Could be a sneaky steal.

Archived