Undrafted Free Agent Signings + Rumours

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2021/05/03/bengals-undrafted-free-agent-contracts-pro-wells-pooka-williams/

Report: Bengals giving notable cash to undrafted free agent targets  :13:

Chris Roling 

May 3, 2021 6:26 pm

The Cincinnati Bengals weren’t pulling any punches financially when going after undrafted free agents this year.

We already noted that the Bengals threw a $25,000 bonus at Ball State cornerback Antonio Phillips, per a report.

It turns out Phillips wasn’t the only one getting a noteworthy signing bonus. According to NFL reporter Aaron Wilson, the Bengals gave a $15,000 bonus to TCU tight end Pro Wells.

Wilson also reports the Bengals doled out a $20,000 bonus to Kansas running back Anthony “Pooka” Williams.

Throwing extra money atop the undrafted free agent deal is usually a way for a team to guarantee a player. There were a few instances of teams throwing more than $100,000 at a couple of guys, but it’s noteworthy the Bengals threw around some money too after already adding 10 guys via draft picks.

Cincinnati didn’t add a corner or tight end in the draft, so paying up for guys they liked makes sense. Pooka, on the other hand, will have to compete with sixth-round pick Chris Evans over the summer in training camp.

On 5/2/2021 at 11:32 PM, claptonrocks said:

If he makes the team it will be for his ST play..

Some of these FAs could do that..

Heck, after the big three it's not like the Bengals WR group is overly impressive.  ST will certainly play a role, but show up in practice and preseason and it wouldn't take much to unseat Thomas, Irwin, Washington, Morgan, or even Tate.

Anybody else a bit perplexed that they have added nothing to the LB room?  Are they really that satisfied with what they have there (backups as well)? Could it be they see less need for three LBs on the field at the same time?  Does anyone see Ossai at a "LB" spot to get another potential pass rusher on the field in certain situations?

7 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

Heck, after the big three it's not like the Bengals WR group is overly impressive.  ST will certainly play a role, but show up in practice and preseason and it wouldn't take much to unseat Thomas, Irwin, Washington, Morgan, or even Tate.

That's one of the 4easons I was hoping to see a better option as a 5th WR.  To me, I'm fine with Tate as the 4th WR and that's it.  He has a specialized situational skill set that makes him valuable as a 4th wideout, but not as an every down starting receiver.  I'd like a versatile young guy who can step in at any of the three WR spots.  If the right guy is there, I see them as the next guy up if one of the top three starters is out of action.

50 minutes ago, snarkster said:

Anybody else a bit perplexed that they have added nothing to the LB room?  Are they really that satisfied with what they have there (backups as well)? Could it be they see less need for three LBs on the field at the same time?  Does anyone see Ossai at a "LB" spot to get another potential pass rusher on the field in certain situations?

I doubt they are satisfied but you can’t fix everything at once and given we drafted 3 last year they have see how they do in year 2. Need a better season from Pratt as well

I definitely think they’re pretty satisfied with their first 4…

Pratt/Davis-Gaither/Wilson/Bailey 

How many do they keep, 6? Evans is pretty much a ST’s staple but could be easily replaced. I’d bet we’ll see a couple of FA additions before it’s all said and done. Guys will get cut from other teams and whatnot. 

I think they are likely to re-sign Josh Bynes at some point.  But also they have some young guys who were playing behind 4th string DTs last year. This year we should be deep at DT (knock on wood) so they're not worried about giving up 400 yards rushing to the Ravens again. 

25 minutes ago, spicoli said:

I definitely think they’re pretty satisfied with their first 4…

Pratt/Davis-Gaither/Wilson/Bailey 

How many do they keep, 6? Evans is pretty much a ST’s staple but could be easily replaced. I’d bet we’ll see a couple of FA additions before it’s all said and done. Guys will get cut from other teams and whatnot. 

Vet from another team..yes

37 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Vet from another team..yes

I'd rather see Bynes back.  I think he played well last year considering how unimpressive our D line was.  I think getting our injured players healthy plus our draft should give us a Good Rotation!!

13 hours ago, kennethmw said:

I'd rather see Bynes back.  I think he played well last year considering how unimpressive our D line was.  I think getting our injured players healthy plus our draft should give us a Good Rotation!!

Plus Bynes knows the system.

Unless some big name LB drops off a team because of cap reasons I don't think you are going to do better than bringing Bynes back.

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

Plus Bynes knows the system.

Unless some big name LB drops off a team because of cap reasons I don't think you are going to do better than bringing Bynes back.

They just gave his number to the 7th round rookie....I'd be surprised if he comes back.

Meanwhile, #97 is still available.  

3 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

They need to let the young LB's play and see what we have - no star QB's will get killed by the LB's making mistakes. By the end of the year they would know where we stand at the position. 

So the defense can give up 600 yards a game and that's fine,  as long as Burrow doesn't get hurt?

Here's some more on him (he returns kicks, by the way...):

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/bengals-extend-minicamp-invite-to-bethune-cookman-wide-receiver-jimmie-robinson

The 5-foot-7 speedster finished with 39 receptions for 468 yards and four touchdowns for the Wildcats in 2019. He also returned 33 kicks for 880 yards and one score. 

Robinson certainly has the speed to be successful in the NFL. He ran a 4.28 40-yard dash at his pro day. He also did 14 reps of 225 pounds on the bench press.

He lined up at wide receiver and running back for the Wildcats. His speed and ability to play special teams likely caught the Bengals' attention. 

20 minutes ago, membengal said:

Isn’t “invited to minicamp” different than signing him as a college free agent?  If just “invited”, he [Jimmie Robinson] could still sign with a different team, right?  :shrug: 

[BTW, the video also shows him running out of the backfield...and blocking at least one kick (I didn’t watch the whole video.).]

Archived